Megan Racing short shifter rattle & metal shavings

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
Last November, I installed a Megan Racing SS and new aftermarket shifter bushings onto my Protege5. There was always a small bit of slop and a rattle sometimes, but it's gotten significantly worse since installation about 8 months ago. Of course, there is some slop in the bar that connects the shifter to the transmission, but most of the slop that I can see is in the actual 'joint' or 'pivot-point' of the shifter itself, and it's really bothering me as it gets worse.

I took things apart this afternoon to investigate, and this is what I found:

IMG_20200713_181734514.jpg

IMG_20200713_181723406.jpg

...and after cleaning the metal shavings...

IMG_20200713_182455026.jpg

Soooo...that doesn't look particularly amazing. It looks to me like the snap ring has been rubbing or vibrating on the top of the shifter. Does anybody have thoughts on what's causing this and how I can fix the rattling and slop? I suppose I can file a warranty claim with Megan Racing, but this also doesn't help me much as I daily drive my car and can't just ship them the old shifter without having another one to install. I'd also like to understand and fix the underlying issue instead of trying to fix what it causes.

Thanks,
Ben

:
2001 Mazda SP20 323
Eeeeeek, that's probably not meant to look like that

Definitely send Megan Racing an email and let them know about it. Even if they can't fix it the feedback is always good

Did the kit come with any grease or lube? Packing it full of grease might help with the slop and rattle

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
Eeeeeek, that's probably not meant to look like that

Definitely send Megan Racing an email and let them know about it. Even if they can't fix it the feedback is always good

Did the kit come with any grease or lube? Packing it full of grease might help with the slop and rattle
Thanks for the feedback, LankyKiwi.

I filed a warranty claim with them. If that doesn't go anywhere, I will also send them an email. I bought the shifter on eBay from CircuitSpecR, which appears to also have their own store, so I may contact them too.

I had to put the shifter back together of course so I could drive the car today, so I did put as much grease on it as I could. I also tightened up and greased the bushings under the car. There is less slop now but the rattling is just awful, and I have no idea what the longevity is going to be like long-term.

At this point, if I did get a replacement, I'd probably sell it and buy another short shifter kit from a different brand. The tolerances in mine are huge and could have obviously been lowered in development.

lolmsp lolms3
Dang, I would've sent you a stock spare one but unfortunately I don't have any of them anymore. I've used the TWM SS since around 2010 and have been happy with it. No slop but I did have to trim the heat shield that sat right under the shifter since it was making contact and ended up flopping around at highway speeds. The TWM SS does use the stock bushing (purple piece on your shifter). I think it's called a bushing.

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
Dang, I would've sent you a stock spare one but unfortunately I don't have any of them anymore. I've used the TWM SS since around 2010 and have been happy with it. No slop but I did have to trim the heat shield that sat right under the shifter since it was making contact and ended up flopping around at highway speeds. The TWM SS does use the stock bushing (purple piece on your shifter). I think it's called a bushing.
My local junkyard does actually have a protege with a shifter that I could grab. Maybe I could try swapping parts around between my Megan Racing shifter and the stock one. I actually sold my stock shifter on eBay for basically nothing, when it looks like I should have kept it around.

I'll try that and see what I find. I think the metal shavings were coming from the top snap ring rubbing on the shifter bushing holder thing. Not sure how one would fix that though.