Mazdaspeed6 "Lack of power" Recall??

Boosted24 said:
Hockey my speed6 is doing the same thing it seems to me that the turbo is spooling later

Same here....Sucks the big one too...So where do we go from here??

This isn't the car I bought..not happy.

I am having issues with the turbo stumbling right now, sometimes it doesn't seem to even spool up at all and then today I got on it and it dropped out totally and knocked hard for a second so I quickly got out of it and then got back on the gas and picked back up...going to get it reflashed tomorrow and hopefully it turns out for the best.(bang)

rusharp said:
Same here....Sucks the big one too...So where do we go from here??

This isn't the car I bought..not happy.

Yea I agree I had the car about 3 weeks before I got that recall notice the car was INSANE before the flash and now its fast but not the car I bought

So I got like 300 miles, what should I look for?
I feel that the car loses pwer after 4500rpm, is that normal? I am coming from an STI which never lost power. I know it is not the same car, but is it still normal afterall....

Alfredo said:
So I got like 300 miles, what should I look for?
I feel that the car loses pwer after 4500rpm, is that normal? I am coming from an STI which never lost power. I know it is not the same car, but is it still normal afterall....

if you see that the tach is going slower that usual after 4500 then it prob has the powerloss, i got the reflash done and it i still get the powerloss sometimes.

I test drove a 2007 before I bought my non-reflashed 2006 and the 2007 seemed identical to my 2006. So I'm taking the plunge and having them update it. I'll let you know how it works out.

I don;t know that ALL recalls are required by federal law. There are five types of recalls:
Emissions
Safety
Special Policy
FMVSS Non-compliance
Customer Satisfaction
obviously the emissions, safety, and fmvss non-comliance are necessary, but the special policy and customer satisfaction recalls are usually just to make the customer happy and do not neccessarily address any type of safety of legal concern.
It sounds like this reflash probably falls into the emissions category though, so it probably is required. But since 99% of people will trade their ms6 in rather than selling it outright, it would then be up to the dealer to reflash it. But I think you probably CAN refuse the reflash if so compelled.

Although I am just speculating, it seems like Mazda has a bad bad habit of making the accell enrichment waaaayyy too rich. Even on the 2.3 SVOs from the 80s, they ran absolutely pig rich. On my other car with a standalone, I can simulate the way the MS6 feels by cranking up the AE. What happens is the fueling spikes, the cylinders run super rich, which causes spark misfire, which then looks lean to the ecu, which triggers yet another reaction. This feels like knock, but its not. Its rich misfire. Same thing the rx8 suffered from.

BUT, if you are going to do ANY airflow mods in the near future (downpipe, exhaust, CAI, FMIC) I would think it would be a bad idea to update. That extra fuel will be critical in dealing with the extra airflow. AE is usually a set amount and you can flow more air to match the overly rich condition, but you can't add AE later.

Its sorta a catch 22 I guess.

Only real way to see whats happening is to run a wb02 and datalog a before and after, then I could really nail it down. When I get my wb02 in I will try to get some baselines, then someone else can do the readings on a reflashed ecu and compare.

Is There Such A Thing

ChicagoKid said:
What exactly is this service? My dealer didn't mention this to me. What do they have to do???

I have another appt to get the reflash done again. I'll ask about this.

My dealer mentions that at time of purchase.. They said the first service would be around $80 for the turbo service. Already took the car in for the oil change and tire rotation and nothing was mentioned. I wonder how true this is.

Should I get the flash done. No problems yet. Not expecting any mods in the near future.

ZUZOOM said:
My dealer mentions that at time of purchase.. They said the first service would be around $80 for the turbo service. Already took the car in for the oil change and tire rotation and nothing was mentioned. I wonder how true this is.

Should I get the flash done. No problems yet. Not expecting any mods in the near future.

Ive owned 3 turbo'd cars and Ive never heard of such a thing. Turbos are oil cooled or oil and water cooled. Every time you get an oil change you are somewhat servicing the turbo also. These dam dealers what will they come up with next.

Back