Mazdaspeed CAI filter

JOSER_SPEED6

:
2014 Mazda 6 Touring
Ok, so I have never cleaned by CAI filter and I know it needs it bad. I was looking at just getting a new filter, because I wasn't sure what product to use to clean it and the local mazda dealer doesn't carry it. But finding a stupid replacement has been confusing to say the least. I did find one on *************** for $60plus but I've also heard conflicting storys about the AEM and Mazdaspeed CAI being the same. So I thought I can either clean the filter with the AEM Solution or just get the AEM replacement filter. But come it to find out the Mazdaspeed is a 2.5 and the AEM is a 3.0. So I tought just get the solution but the AEM says it DRY Flow and the Mazdaspeed says its a washable and reusable conical filter....WTF! I don't consider myself a moron when it comes to cars I've worked on cars for years. But I am clearly a moron when it comes to CAI Filters, apperantly. If I can get away with cleaining it great but if I need to replace it what filter can I use? Anyone else had this problem?(uhm)

you didnt mention how many miles might be on this filter but i would try just cleaning it first. soap and scrub and blast it with some compressed air then let it dry.

if not. most filters with the same diameter inlet should work fine.

You don't ever used compressed air on a wet filter!! You can clean these out with soap but, it takes a day to dry a Dryflow filter.. You can buy a new one at autotoyz in so cal for $40 or go online you just need a 3" replacement filter.. And skip mazda for this. You CAI was made by aem.. Even if it says Mazda.. And right now on MOCC there's a used filter for sale and I know the guy.. He just needs to measure it..

And the mazdaspeed CAI is three inches.. They were telling you the numbers for the speed3 which is also aem and 2 1/2"

Last edited:
You don't ever used compressed air on a wet filter!! You can clean these out with soap but, it takes a day to dry a Dryflow filter.. You can buy a new one at autotoyz in so cal for $40 or go online you just need a 3" replacement filter.. And skip mazda for this. You CAI was made by aem.. Even if it says Mazda.. And right now on MOCC there's a used filter for sale and I know the guy.. He just needs to measure it..

And the mazdaspeed CAI is three inches.. They were telling you the numbers for the speed3 which is also aem and 2 1/2"
Yeah you dont use an air compressor for a filter...I knew that much. I'd get a used one as long as it was clean and works. Even $40 for a new one aint bad but Tustin Mazda wanted $72 and ebay wants $48 free shipping. But if I can just get one local, I'm down with that too. I see your in Cypress. I live in Westminster and am in Cypress all the time.

Mazda sells (or used to) a cleaning kit consisting of two bottles of cleaner. Let me dig through my papers to see if I can come up with the number.

Mazda sells (or used to) a cleaning kit consisting of two bottles of cleaner. Let me dig through my papers to see if I can come up with the number.

The local dealer told me they no longer carry it which it think is bulls***. I think the parts guy didn't want to look for it.

i dont think they ever sold this seperately?? It came with the kit originally.. but, really just got to autobacs in stanton and tell them you need a 3" dryflow filter.. and you can get one online too.. obviously.. but its 3" for sure if its the mazda CAI.. id say to own 2 for cleaning purposes.. thats what i do.. and if youre local and you wanna learn about this car hit the local MOCC meets.. weve got one on WED in signal hill.. and other spots too!! look it up.. and the guy whose got a filter for sale put a ruler to it.. and looks like 2 1/2" so sorry youll have to go new..

Buying a new filter? Searching for Mazda cleaning kit? This all seems like overkill to me.

You don't need to go try and find an AEM or Mazda cleaning and oiling kit. All kits are the same thing. The only difference is the color they add to the oil. For years I used a K&N kit on an Edelbrock filter.

As long as your filter is resuable (I've never seen one that isn't), go to the nearest autoparts store and buy the first reusable filter cleaning kit you see. It will come with two solutions, cleaner (AKA soapy water) and oil. Clean it with the cleaner. Let it dry. Spray it with the oil. Wait. Install. ZOOM!

Your filter is just a piece of cotton cloth which is oiled so that crap will stick to it. Hell, I bet you could use grease cutting dish soap to clean it WD40 to oil it and have no problems. Not that I'm brave enough to try it.....

Buying a new filter? Searching for Mazda cleaning kit? This all seems like overkill to me.

You don't need to go try and find an AEM or Mazda cleaning and oiling kit. All kits are the same thing. The only difference is the color they add to the oil. For years I used a K&N kit on an Edelbrock filter.

As long as your filter is resuable (I've never seen one that isn't), go to the nearest autoparts store and buy the first reusable filter cleaning kit you see. It will come with two solutions, cleaner (AKA soapy water) and oil. Clean it with the cleaner. Let it dry. Spray it with the oil. Wait. Install. ZOOM!

Your filter is just a piece of cotton cloth which is oiled so that crap will stick to it. Hell, I bet you could use grease cutting dish soap to clean it WD40 to oil it and have no problems. Not that I'm brave enough to try it.....

The AEM/MS CAI filter the OP is referring to is a dry filter, not an oiled filter like your K&N so, no, all kits are not the same.

Last edited:

ill be sure and and go oil my AEM dryflow.. (yupnope) and, the reason for owning two filters is really just convenience.. but, they can take a while to dry.. So since youll need to get to the wheel well to change it.. having two is just much easier.. the main issue with the mazdaspeed set up is that the filter sits directly on top of an oil intercooler.. which can rub.. also the tubing can rub too.. but, its all fixable.. my set up is tight as s***.. and the bottle they give you is just soap.. or some basic cleaning solution.. make the meet weve got several speed 6s all with totally different set ups..

JOSER_SPEED6 i own the aem cai and i clean my filter ever 6-8 months....first let me say that buying the cleaning solution from aem is a big waste of money. its a basic mild soap. i was told this from street unit and they told me not to waste my money. second its a dry flow filter which means you can just lightly knock the filter on a hard surface and alot of the dirt will come off...after doing that i stick my filter in a bucket with a mild detrgent like dish soap and water and fill the water just over the filter part. after cleaning it in the soap and water i leave it out to dry. takes about a day or so to dry and thats really it. so instead of buying a new filter or the cleaning solution i would try this first to save some money. its not a bad idea to get a second filter if you want just so you can switch on the fly during the cleaning of one. Goodluck on whatever decision you make.

I really appreciate all the different suggestions. I think I'm going to just get a replacement filter and clean the one I have now and keep it as a back up and just switch them out when I need a clean one. MARKSPD6 thanks for the invite where exactly do you meet up in Signal Hill? I'll try to make it. It'll be cool to see other Mazdaspeeds, I hardly ever see any around.

You don't ever used compressed air on a wet filter!!

why not? unsure how blowing air threw your filter is bad.

ill be sure and and go oil my AEM dryflow.. (yupnope) and, the reason for owning two filters is really just convenience.. but, they can take a while to dry.. So since youll need to get to the wheel well to change it.. having two is just much easier..

but if you dont own two filters and have to drive that-or the next-day, then speeding the drying process is neccesary. hence, blow drying it.

I think he's referring to not using a high powered stream of compressed air. You want to keep it under 30psi to prevent any damage to the filter media.

You can use the AEM parts designed for the MS6 in place of anything for the MS CAI. Also, you may want to look at Amsoil's Ea Filters, they offer dry replacements which would fit, you just have to take the measurements and compare them to their website. I'll have to check, I believe I found one that worked with our cars and actually had more surface area to pull air in.

Anyone have the rubber grommet that holds the MS CAI on the frame? I need one.

This kit works better without that rubber grommet.. I made it about two inches shorter so I can losen the filter screw from the engine bay.. I switched to a flat nylon rubber washer like for a toilet.. No more shaking and a shorter trip to the engine.. And I was having some issues with my filter hitting the oil intercooler it sits next to.. So I made some cuts..

Back