Mazda's latest keyless system

wongpres

:
Ti. Grey Mazda3 GT GFX
I've gotten a couple of requests about this so I'm posting it here because it applies to a bunch of different Mazda models. This new keyless entry system is different to the 'new' retractable keyfob that is found on the '05
RX-8/Miata/MPV. I put 'new' in quotes because that system is already old compared to this one!

The 'keyfob'

It's like a pass-card. In addition, a key is embedded inside and can be removed from the card to go back to the standard way of using a key to open a door or trunk (not for the
ignition though).

How it works (to the best of my understanding anyways)

To unlock a door, walk up to the door (with card in your pocket) and use your finger to touch a little infra-red-like cover that is on the door handle and the door will unlock (it'll sense the card in your pocket). In emergency, break off the key from card and open the door by inserting it into keyhole beside doorknob.

There is a stubby knob in the regular location of the ignition. To start the car, simply turn that knob just like with normal keys (the car reads the card in your pocket to allow starting the car).

Which vehicles?

- Mazda Verisa (JDM-only vehicle, and first with this system)
- Mazda5 - though probably not on N. American-spec of this vehicle. As an aside, Mazda officially announced today that the Mazda5 will retain the Mazda Premacy name in Japan (not a surprise, this vehicle is the Premacy replacement).
- Mazdaspeed6 (as of right now, I don't know if N. American-spec will have it, I'd say it's 50-50)

And no, it can't be retrofitted to other vehicles.

Attachments

• keycard.jpg
    keycard.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 998
  • ignition.jpg
    ignition.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 959
I've heard of this, sounds like added complexity for very little gain... I dunno, how lazy are we getting? Keyless entry isn't enough? Guess I'm the only one considering a brand new car that doesn't even have power locks...

cadillac has something much better on the STS when you walk up to the car with the key in your pocket or in hand it will unlock your door you get in set the key down or keep in pocket and then push a button for igniton its rpetty cool my mom test drove the car a few weeks ago it was BAD ASS 60,000 dollar car fully loaded got to much stuff in it to list nice keyless entry system oh and of course has the engine start up which is nice for cold winter mornings so you dont have to sit in the car and wait for it to warm up

The new 'vette and the SLR have this also. It's a pretty neat idea, but there are a few flaws with it. One of them is the idea of your battery dying and no longer receiving the signal. I'd assume most manufacturers have thought of this.

I know when Mercedes released this system for testing to the media, there were numerous cases where the vehicle couldn't find the remote in the car and would not start at all.

Looks like Mazda has conquered both of these issues with the key idea. (rockon)

But I also feel that the whole system seems like overkill.

trippertripp said:
cadillac has something much better on the STS when you walk up to the car with the key in your pocket or in hand it will unlock your door you get in set the key down or keep in pocket and then push a button for igniton its rpetty cool my mom test drove the car a few weeks ago it was BAD ASS 60,000 dollar car fully loaded got to much stuff in it to list nice keyless entry system oh and of course has the engine start up which is nice for cold winter mornings so you dont have to sit in the car and wait for it to warm up

Glowmunkey said:
I've heard of this, sounds like added complexity for very little gain... I dunno, how lazy are we getting? Keyless entry isn't enough? Guess I'm the only one considering a brand new car that doesn't even have power locks...
Not a bad way to increase the power-to-weight ratio!

It is very similar to the Prius' keyless-entry system, save for the ignition knob. With the Prius, you just push the "Power" button on the dash and away you go.

Glowmunkey said:
It's called progress dude. It's about time they modernize the key. (virtually unchanged in over 50 years.)

Very little gain? Next time in your car, take a look at the area around the ignition switch. This is literally the only area on my car that isn't still in showroom condition. (scratches all over the place from the damn key!) That's reason enough for me!

A funny thing happened to my parents with a similar keyless setup. My dad had the 'card' and he was driving. My mom was in the passenger seat. So they arrived their destination and my mom suddenly decided that she needs to go somewhere else quick and will come back to pick my dad up later, so my dad gets out the car with the car running and then my mom gets in the driver seat and drives off. Remember, my dad HAS THE CARD (and my mom didn't)

About 5 seconds later, my dad realized that he had the card. He called my mom immediately on the cellphone to ask her to turn back quickily (about 10 yds away and the car was already starting making beeping noises). When they were within 'range' the beeping stopped. I'd imagine that the engine would probably just shut off if she kept going.

Ahhh... the beauty of technology :D

Last edited:
NO the engine will not shut off intill she shuts off the car....I work at Benz and we have had keyless-go for a year or 2... its ok if ur lazy or want to show-off....just more things to go wrong so I can get paid.....

dood i love the keyless card system thingy...i wouldnt say its just for lazy people...its not something that supposedly "lazy" people would want just so that they wont have to reach into their pockets to get their keys out...my dad has it on his Benz..pretty nice stuff...da engine start button is kewl too...gives taht kinda F1 style feel (headbang)

Back