Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

Jvmarino

:
2008 Mazda5
Update

Just to update my status, about 2 months ago I cleaned the MAF and put a bit more air in the tires and it made an improvement. I am now seeing between 20 and 21 mpg in my mixed use driving. My highway driving did get almost 28 mpg when I did a quick 100 mile run before the MAF cleaning. So I feel I am now getting mileage closer to what I had hoped. Just thought I would post the update so others might try cleaning their MAF if they are getting poor mileage as well.

2014 6sp manual. 70K current miles. I rarely get less than 30mpg. I don't drive more than 70mph. I typically average 33mpg, doing 80%highway. I once saw 35.4mpg on a long highway trip with no a/c running, just me and no cargo.

I guess I'm lucky, because it looks like the automatic is a real downgrade for economy.

:
2015 Mazda 5 Sport
I can get 29mpg during the summer if the tire air pressure is above 45 psi (Highway only, 2015 sport auto).

During the winter, with local driving, I get 23 mpg. Maybe I should consider removing rear seats because the car never has more than two people in it (but I need the cargo space for occasional hauling).

:
2009 M5 Sport
I can get 29mpg during the summer if the tire air pressure is above 45 psi (Highway only, 2015 sport auto).

During the winter, with local driving, I get 23 mpg. Maybe I should consider removing rear seats because the car never has more than two people in it (but I need the cargo space for occasional hauling).
I've had the 3rd seat removed most of the time I've had my '09. As I recall, it weighs 84 lbs (and the 2d row weigh 82 lbs each), so it could make a difference over time.
I've logged every gallon I've bought and average 23 city and 29 hwy at 70mph. Can have gotten 32 when I could stick to 60 on relatively level routes. Don't try that on the interstates.

I've been obsessed with hypermiling for decades and recently bought a 2012 6M, trading in a well used MX-5, primarily to get a vehicle allowing me to sleep in the back.

Anyway I track my mileage on fuelly and here you are: https://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/5/2012/moron/1055602

Note the word obsessed as I don't drive like 'normal' people. I'm the guy on the interstate in the right lane moving about 10% slower than the speed limit (much less unnerving in the 5 compared to the MX-5 as people don't get stupidly close as often) and at the speed limit on highways.

Typically in town I start from a stop in first, go to third and then fifth (sixth if I've got some speed up) then idle along guessing 45 or so is the optimum mph.

I interpret stop signs and red lights liberally: when the intersection is empty I consider them guidelines, not policies. :)

Your mileage will vary. ;)