Mazda5 engine stumble during light acceleration TSB

Only game in town? Bummer! My local Mazda dealer has been absolutely great to deal with. Prompt and courteous, and very willing to listen to my comments on forum found TSBs.

Now that you mention it, my dealer's new facility has "protected" Interweb access in the lounge area (you know, where you cannot modify browser settings) yet it does have a permanent favorite to this forum, interesting as they don't sponsor each other. Big brother is reading (lurk) which is good for us :D

Last edited:
well I bumped into a better service guy when I arrived and "after" the service was completed I explained to him how upset I was about the convo with the other guy. He acknowledge it and seemed like I may not have been the only occurence, he assured me he'd personally take care of me whenever just contact him directly.

Back on topic, the PCM reprogram did make a notable difference in smoothness, the wife noticed it without mentioning it got done. The shifting seems more seemless and seems to wait a bit to see if your gonna hammer it or let up on'r... seems to be more intuitive and less predictively conservative. Am curious how different it'll be carving the hills with it now.

Man it's an engine thing? I thought my clutch was starting to slip or something. Good call!

In Canada here. My wife went in for regular maintenance and as we've had this problem occur a number of times, I asked her to get this taken care of as well. The service rep informed us that it is not covered under warranty - even though we have an extended warranty the reflash is not covered. Anyone confirm they had a similar experience in Canada before I go argue with him?

Thanks

Same here, two dealers one in Langley BC one in Vancouver BC and neither would look at the problem. However if labour is only 0.3 hours x $95 = $28.50 + tax, I may just pay for it out of pocket rather than going through the trouble and stress of complaining, but what I'm going to do is schedule an appointment for my 96,000km service (which is a big $360 item), and tell them to deal with this as well, if they don't I'll just cancel my appointment and take my business to a closer dealership (I bought my tires there, pretty good service) and see if they'll let up.

Last edited:
In Canada here. My wife went in for regular maintenance and as we've had this problem occur a number of times, I asked her to get this taken care of as well. The service rep informed us that it is not covered under warranty - even though we have an extended warranty the reflash is not covered. Anyone confirm they had a similar experience in Canada before I go argue with him?

Thanks

This problem is covered by a service bulletin, so it is covered by the warranty.
Do a search here to find the TSB #.
I had it done when my Mazda5 was new back in 2007, at the Mazda dealer in Port Moody. No questions, they knew it was a TSB issue.

If your dealer doesn't want to do it under warranty, call Mazda, they are usually pretty good with their customer service.

hope this helps.

This problem is covered by a service bulletin, so it is covered by the warranty.
Do a search here to find the TSB #

Check the very first post on this thread. It has the original TSB printout from Mazda

Thanks

I got this taken cared under warrantyon the first yr at ajax mazda

This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair...........

I don't think they do any warrant work for me seeing that I'm at 97,000 miles.... on my 2006.......... knock on wood I've never had this problem.... just performed my second "tune-up".......... seems like the mpg goes up with the miles.... I checked today on my way up to DC and got almost 33 mpg........

Left Va Beach, Va
Drove 178 miles after I filled the tank.....
5.4 gallons to refill the tank in Stafford, Va
32.7777777777777778 mpg........

Not too bad..........

I finally got my PCM reflashed! I brought my car in to get a CEL checked out since somehow it struck me as odd when the light came on and had a feeling it wasn't a gas cap issue. When I got the car back, they told me they upgraded my PCM because there was an update available.

The CEL was caused by the thermostat, although they wanted me to wait for the CEL to come back on again to confirm. It may have just been the cold weather and the thermostat not opening up as the engine temp went up or something like that, a nuisance alarm, but the thermostat could require replacing if it happens again.

33mpg would be pretty sweet. The best I've done is 31 US mpg. 105km/h with climate control on.

Just had this done this morning. When I called to schedule it the service guy kept telling me that my VIN wasn't "eligible" for that TSB. Had to go around in circles to clarify whether that meant they wouldn't do it or just wouldn't pay for it. I paid $35.19 incl tax. Took about 45 min. I'll get a tank or two of gas into it and see if mpg improves and let y'all know if it "feels" any better. Of course, it'll be a while before I can say that the stumble problem is gone.

It would be nice if this was posted in the correct forum.

Would have been nice if I saw this back in 2009 when my car was still under warranty. I haven't been to the dealer in over 2 years as I do my own maintenance, rack up miles pitifully slowly & have my own suspension/brakes guy I trust.

Would have been nice if I saw this back in 2009 when my car was still under warranty. I haven't been to the dealer in over 2 years as I do my own maintenance, rack up miles pitifully slowly & have my own suspension/brakes guy I trust.

If you dont have the stumbling @light accelleration dont do this . It will lessen your HP by 4 from 157 HP to 153 Hp look at the orig catalog for the 06-07 MY its 157 Hp

I thought it was worth it. Before the reflash, I consistently got 10-11 L/100km in the city, after that, consistent 9-10 L/100km. On the highway, it went from an average of 8L/100km to an average of low 7's.

I'm into electronics.. What I don't understand is they acknowledged the problem is the noise from the ignition harness that confuses the sensor. So why is it that the fix is a firmware updte? Why not eliminate or at least minimize the noise?

Just had this done this morning. When I called to schedule it the service guy kept telling me that my VIN wasn't "eligible" for that TSB. Had to go around in circles to clarify whether that meant they wouldn't do it or just wouldn't pay for it. I paid $35.19 incl tax. Took about 45 min. I'll get a tank or two of gas into it and see if mpg improves and let y'all know if it "feels" any better. Of course, it'll be a while before I can say that the stumble problem is gone.

Just to follow up; I haven't experienced the engine stumble since doing the reflash five months ago. City mpg still sucks, but hwy mpg is improved a little. Hard to say if it feels better, at first I might have thought so, but it's pretty subjective. At any rate, I've stopped worrying about whether I'm going to lurch through the intersection every time I accelerate from a stop.

I also have a 2010 Mazda5 with 165k km now. I started noticing this exact behavior when it was 110k km. I changed coil, spark plugs, pcv valve, coolant sensor, MAF sensor but the issue remains and has not changed. Although I got more power after replacing the pcv valve and cleaning the throttle body (coincidence perhaps). However, TSB No: 01-008/08 pertains to models 2006-2007 could the dealership will perform the PCM reset to my 2010? It would be a long battle but I'll try. Otherwise is there anywhere this can be performed out from dealership in Toronto, Canada? Thanks for any insights.

Last edited:
Back