Mazda3 2.5T Mazda3 Turbo Hatchback in Snowstorm

Finally tested my M3TH in this crazy snow storm in NY and yes it was just like driving my CX-5 before. As long as the front end is able to clear it, it was good to go. Yesterday's drive home was challenging but then if it can clear it, you're good to go.
Have you noticed any power loss below 20 degrees Fahrenheit? The 2.5T in the CX-5’s seem to consistently cut power in 1st and 2nd gear when the temp drops below 20. It happens regardless of traction or precipitation. It’s very noticeable. It sounds and feels as if the 2.5 from my ‘14 got swapped into my ‘20 Signature.

In my CX-9 that only happens until the engine is warmed up. In my opinion thats the engine protecting itself and the turbo at lower temperature. I thought that was common among turbocharged engines where the mapping is modified until the engine reach operating temperature.
Once i am past the blue in the temperature gauges it acks as normal, regardless of the outside temperature.

In my CX-9 that only happens until the engine is warmed up. In my opinion thats the engine protecting itself and the turbo at lower temperature. I thought that was common among turbocharged engines where the mapping is modified until the engine reach operating temperature.
Once i am past the blue in the temperature gauges it acks as normal, regardless of the outside temperature.
Nope. It’s solely dependent on that 20 degree threshold. Regardless of all other factors.

One Kitty Liter Bag at the trunk. 2 Packs of Polar Water Bottles at the rear passenger foot well. Makes a great improvement in handling. It felt like driving my CX5 2017. Great confidence in driving on slushy and snowy conditions.

Have you noticed any power loss below 20 degrees Fahrenheit? The 2.5T in the CX-5’s seem to consistently cut power in 1st and 2nd gear when the temp drops below 20. It happens regardless of traction or precipitation. It’s very noticeable. It sounds and feels as if the 2.5 from my ‘14 got swapped into my ‘20 Signature.

You bring up a very good question.
When I was in the market for a CX5, I was looking at a 2019 GTR or Signature with the 2.5T.
I purposely drove them when it was about 0F to verify if it was truly happening.
I can say I drove 3 different vehicles (2 sigs and 2 GTR) all in that cold weather and they all had noticeable loss of power until about top of 2nd gear into 3rd gear. Once temps were above that 20F mark, all power was there all the time. At highway speeds, never had any issues.

Hopefully the 3 Turbo doesn't have that issue because it's on my radar for next vehicle and would likely be a deal killer.

I usually remote start my car before leaving. By the time I get in to the temp needle has already moved. Never experienced this power issue.

I usually remote start my car before leaving. By the time I get in to the temp needle has already moved. Never experienced this power issue.
Heat soak only works for the first launch in the CX-5, and then it goes back to a boostless 1st and 2nd gear. It’s all about the ambient temp. Engine and tranny temps don’t seem to play a part in it. I was asking because Burger Motorsports is using a Mazda 3 turbo to develop their tune for all of the 2.5T platforms, and I was curious if they were going to see the issue in the 3. So far they haven’t come across anything. Next time it’s below 20 degrees and the car is at operating temp but not heat soaked, do some full throttle launches and see how 1st and 2nd respond. If you don’t mind.

Back