Mazda3 Skyactive rough ride

Fisherman37

:
2012 mazda 3i touring/ skyactive
Hello everyone
This is my first ever attempt to post on a forum.
I recently purchased a 2012 Mazda3 Skyactive and the ride is way too rough for my back. My previous car, Scion tc had a much comfortable ride. The dealer lowered the tire pressure but didn't help at all. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
I read online about changing shocks and/or struts. Which one will work?
Thanks a lot

You could try going to a 15" wheel and tire with more sidewall and maybe some new shocks, but if it's to the point where you can't ride in it comfortably, you may want to trade it in for a different model. The 3's have a stiff ride from the factory, maybe a Corolla or a softer riding car may be the answer.

You could try going to a 15" wheel and tire with more sidewall and maybe some new shocks, but if it's to the point where you can't ride in it comfortably, you may want to trade it in for a different model. The 3's have a stiff ride from the factory, maybe a Corolla or a softer riding car may be the answer.

Thanks for the input. I wanted to trade the car 2 days after I bought it. Went to the dealership and was told that any trade will cost me a lot. Unfortunately living in California means also paying around $1.500 for taxes on this car which are not transferable towards a new vehicle. Right now I'm trying to find diffrent tires that will give me a smoother ride. Any sugestions?

Hello and welcome.

What may seem like a simple thing to do will prove to be more dificult.

You are basically trying to make large car feel in a small car.

Mazda is all about the Zoom Zoom, which may come at a price of "American Car Feel"

It is unfortunate that you did not test drive the car a bit more.

As far as changing out the shocks. It will be very dificult to find a softer than OEM suspension set up.

Most are geared for Stiffer and Lower.. Not Softer and Taller...

Changing out the tires for a 15" Rim with a Big Fat Tire will have very horrible effects on the way the car turns and holds a corner.

I believe that anything you do to soften the car up, may also make it more dangerous to drive.

Have you thought about changing the seat, or getting some sort of seat cover that could reduce the pain in your back.

Hello and welcome.

What may seem like a simple thing to do will prove to be more dificult.

You are basically trying to make large car feel in a small car.

Mazda is all about the Zoom Zoom, which may come at a price of "American Car Feel"

It is unfortunate that you did not test drive the car a bit more.

As far as changing out the shocks. It will be very dificult to find a softer than OEM suspension set up.

Most are geared for Stiffer and Lower.. Not Softer and Taller...

Changing out the tires for a 15" Rim with a Big Fat Tire will have very horrible effects on the way the car turns and holds a corner.

I believe that anything you do to soften the car up, may also make it more dangerous to drive.

Have you thought about changing the seat, or getting some sort of seat cover that could reduce the pain in your back.

Thank you for input. You are perfectly right. I wish I had test drove the car a little bit more. On my "defense" I did a lot of reasearch online about the car and Consumers Report mentioned that the ride is sporty but not uncomfortable. The streets near the dealership were I test drove the car were in good condition, so I didn't feel the rough ride before I went on the highway.
I think I mentioned that I traded a Scion tc for this Mazda3. The Scion has more Zoom Zoom than the Mazda( more horsepower), is more fun to drive and a lot more comfortable. The one and only reason I traded the Scion was the need for a 4 door car. It became a little nuisance to help my daughter to get on the back seat.
As for the cushion, I'm already using the best one I found on the market(1" thick of foam), and it does make a little difference. I can't even imagine driving the car without it!
Yesterday I replaced my 205/55/R16 Bridgestone Turanza stock tires with 205/60/R16 Hankook Optimo H727, which were highly recomended for a comfort ride. I had hoped it will make a significant diffrence going for a taller, softer, tire. Unfortunately, $500 later there is no improvement. At all.
I also realized you are right about the shocks and struts. Thou the manufacturers(Monroe for example) advertise their products as meeting the OEM standards, but eliminating the stiff ride, I had a hard time believing.
So in conclusion I'm going to try to make peace with my mind and keep the car for as long as my back can hold:)

could pull the seats from a scion and retro them in to the mazda. I think your issue is with the seats not the ride, personally.

This is an older thread but I feel the same way with my 2013 Mazda 3i Sport Sedan I just bought. Not so much that it hurts my back but the ride is so unsettled and rough on the stretched of poor freeway here is SoCal. The grooves really affect the ride as well.
I've decided to buy new tires (Yokohama YK580 which will handle the grooves better than the Turanzas (horrible tire) plus 16 lb alloy wheels to replace the steel wheels/hubcaps that came with the car.
Then, it's been suggested to me to go to an independent alignment shop and have them change some of the factory settings to make the car track straight and give it more stability. I've heard mazda sets it with too much toe out or something like that.
I can deal with the tight suspension, I just want the car to handle more predictably on bad roads.
Hard to enjoy zoom-zoom when you're afraid to go over 60 MPH!

I dont know if they will fit the 2nd gen 3s like they do my 05 1st gen 3 but im running a 215 55 16 for a tire which is a little wider and a little taller than factory...(they were on the car when i bought it)... it did help the cornering and overall ride comfort as compared to my 205 55 16 winter tire I have. As for the slightly abusive suspension....I personally dont mind it myself but unfortunately I think your limited to changing the seats out for softer seats....you could swap out for a bagged suspension but that would be super spendy

Back