Mazda3 Auto-roll back

blondee_yvr

:
2012 Mazda3
I was stopped on a steep hill today. There was another car in front of me but nobody in the backl It felt like my auto was a manual tranny. I was able to roll back a considerable distance. I counted ~20 seconds before I put the brakes on.

Is this normal?

Really? (eek2)

I have have driven a lot of automatics and not one of them, except a GM Malibu rolled back, and then only for a bit. Even 2000 + VW's don't do that. I drove a 2006 3 Sport loaner and it rolled back too but not as much as mine. It actually stopped, mine didnt.

blondee_yvr said:
Really? (eek2)

I have have driven a lot of automatics and not one of them, except a GM Malibu rolled back, and then only for a bit. Even 2000 + VW's don't do that. I drove a 2006 3 Sport loaner and it rolled back too but not as much as mine. It actually stopped, mine didnt.

i live in san francisco, and I notice this too with my 3.

but its a good thing that it rolls back. otherwise what happens is that your engine has to work hard just to keep the car still. this causes undue wear on your transmission, not to mention it can reduce your gas mileage. another way to think about it is the consider the opposite scenario- would you put your car in reverse just to stop from rolling down hill?

even on the steepest hill in SF, just a little bit of gas keeps me from bumping into the guy behind me, even though people out here love to ride the bumper.

so this shouldn't be a concern.

mmathias said:
i live in san francisco, and I notice this too with my 3.

even on the steepest hill in SF, just a little bit of gas keeps me from bumping into the guy behind me, even though people out here love to ride the bumper.

BTW- NO pun intended on my last comment... (peep)

Ok, that's the main thing (wear and tear on the tranny). I can handle using two feet (one on the brake and the other on the gas) when on a hill.

the torque converter stall speed is probably higher than the cars you drove before

Back