Mazda Turbo Experts Help Please!

funkytuqe

:
2003 Protege 5, 06 Mazdaspeed6
I had my 06 Mazdaspeed 6 in for a warrenty turbo replacement due to the white Smoke issue last week. I get the car back and notice that the low end tourque is much punchier than before, it kicks in pretty good at just above 2000RPM. After some back checking, i find out that the dealer replaced with a CX7 turbo! I got confirmation from the MAZDA parts people that the impeller profile is different between the CX7 and Mazdaspeed turbos. the difference in performance is that the CX7 turbo kicks in 500RM earlier at the expense of 500RPM up high. They have offered to replace it with the correct MAzdaspeed part for no charge if i want to.

What so you guys think i should do? Part of me says that i should get the Mazdaspeed turbo put in becasue it has the higher RPM end performance that i payed for. However the less laggy characteristics are pretty nice with the CX7 turbo. Opinions, or experiece are much apreciated from any one.

PS, i do have a Cobb AP and SF intake and plan to go Stage 1

Thanks!

Last edited:
Since you have AP for tuning, you can always add more boost in the low end (don't know how safe it'll be but you CAN). :)
So I say get them to put the correct turbo in. I'm not sure how the two are different though ... I always though that engine-related stuff was exactly the same between two, except cx7 was downtuned from ms6. hmm.

Sounds like you just got one hell of a deal for free. Glad to hear you are satisfied!

yeah, boost down low has been shown to blow these motors pretty fast, but everyone's experience has been different. some stock, some modded to tits on a big turbo... its just a game of chance.

I was able to get some information and the CX7 Turbo shares the same housing as the MS3/6 turbo, on the exterior they are identical. On the inside, the CX7 turbo has a slightly smaller compressor impeller which makes it spool sooner in the RPM (500RM quicker according to the tech) range (500RM quicker according to the tech) but runs out of breath much quicker than the MS6 unit.
I have decided to have the dealer replace with the correct part, it goes in tomorrow.

Got the car back today, the correct turbo is now installed. Feels much better, turbo spool feels like it should.

Thanks guys

i have a 07 ms3 and am experiencing some problems not sure if turbo is ready to take a s*** or what can not accelerate properly after shifting with out the car boost like crazy i will shift in any gear and the psi will shoot straight up to 15 like if im flooring it amd i barely press dowm on the gas

Back