Mazda Protege5 Factory Subwoofer Wiring Question

Sorry in class so I can't read everything very carefully. I did the "stock sub to the stock sound system without pre-wiring" though.

I know it is possible that your P5 is pre-wired without stock sub, but I can't remember if it's the 2003.5 model or Canadian models that get this.

You do tap into one of the rear speakers. I was too lazy to locate the wires at the rear doors so I tape right behind the stock head unit.

Without the harness it will give you a lot of trouble...not the taping part but you need the harness to connect to the sub.

I done this one and half year ago i think. Can remember only vaguely.

Edited: Oh post #22 is probably right about the pre-wiring

maxchao,

i have an 03, and im 99% sure im not prewired. ScratchNSniff offered me his harness, so with that your saying i should be able to splice in directly to my hu?

i have aftermarket wires that are already there for the sub that was origionally in the car, could i just use those? im sure they go to the head unit, just disconnected somewhere along the way...

That's what I did. Just splice behine the HU.

You want to make sure that you have all the wires u need for the stock sub. Some where on the forum there is a table showing what each wire is for...according to the color on the hardness I think.

sorry for the necro

totaled my 03.5 Protege5 w/ sub and I'm about to buy another... just an 03. Any reasonable way to move the sub over?

Nocturin, do you need a factory sub? I've got one.

I don't need it, but I do really want it :p. I think it would be really cool to have a little extra thump but don't know if it would fit in my 2002 without having to have an extra sub box in the trunk taking up space. As far as the wiring, when I actually get around to installing the sony HU i took out of my truck years ago, I should be able to tap into one of the rear speakers?

Speaking of speakers, does it come with a speaker in each door? My two back passenger doors don't act like they have speakers. I wonder....(blowup)

Back