Mazda Popularity

Still miss my CX5 a bit, but 2.5 years of trouble free ownership with the QX70 makes me happier.

Slightly off topic, but as a former Nissan/Infiniti guy, I find the naming change they did with their product line was the dumbest thing they ever did.
I still have no clue what Infiniti model is what.
QX this, FX, EX that, Q whatever. Blah blah blah. Dumb move.
I'm happy that you are happy with your QX70, whatever a QX70 is.
I miss the good old days when cars had cool names, like Jensen Interceptor, AC Cobra, Oldsmobile Toronado. Oh ya.

Space, while not an end deciding factor is an essential initial factor so while people won't typically cite roominess as a reason for purchase, the reason the CX-9 is invisible to most 3 row shoppers because its sheer lack of roominess takes it off the table for many I feel. Put another way while roominess and I'm going to throw in resale (to a lesser degree) aren't necessarily reasons people ultimately buy what they buy, they are most definitely reasons people don't/won't buy! If you don't fit in Miata, you're probably not buyin a Miata. If your family +luggage doesn't fit comfortably in a CX-9 that probably doesn't work as the 3 row family hauler you're looking for and consequently sales are meek.

Agreed. And the whole idea of people buying a car for looks is hilarious. Is the CRV the best looking vehicle in the class? How about that ugly last generation RAV4? Both the CRV and RAV4 get better fuel economy, better safety tech and more cargo room. Meanwhile the sexy Mazda vehicles sit on lots unsold. Ive heard people here bash the new RAV4s looks(I happen to like the looks). If its such a horrible looking vehicles, why cant dealers keep the RAV4 Hybrid in stock? Think maybe the hybrid power train has something to do with it? CX9 is the perfect example of what is wrong with Mazda. A nice looking SUV with no hybrid option and a cramped, dark, claustrophobic interior.

Agreed. And the whole idea of people buying a car for looks is hilarious. Is the CRV the best looking vehicle in the class? How about that ugly last generation RAV4? Both the CRV and RAV4 get better fuel economy, better safety tech and more cargo room. Meanwhile the sexy Mazda vehicles sit on lots unsold. I*ve heard people here bash the new RAV4s looks(I happen to like the looks). If it*s such a horrible looking vehicles, why can*t dealers keep the RAV4 Hybrid in stock? Think maybe the hybrid power train has something to do with it? CX9 is the perfect example of what is wrong with Mazda. A nice looking SUV with no hybrid option and a cramped, dark, claustrophobic interior.

No offense, but you kind of come across as a troll. Did someone in a Mazda run over your dog?

Anyways, people chose a certain vehicle for various reasons. The majority of "regular" people shopping for a vehicle have already made up their minds, before even stepping into a dealership. They hate the whole process and just want it to be over. These are the most coveted by salesman, for obvious reasons.

The next most common buyer's research, consists of finding something that is in their budget and fits their needs. Toyota and Honda would probably be on the top of that list, based on well documented past quality histories. When searching for a CUV, most of these shoppers will only consider the CR-V, or Rav4. It takes time to get a brand turned around, like Mazda. I believe they're headed in the right direction, which was one of the reasons we purchased one. I saw Honda dropping in the ranks and Mazda climbing. With that being known, Mazda seriously surprised me with their product. It is near lux level quality at a mainstream price.

Now, if you're main concern is MPG's, storage capacity and Soccer Mom status, you should look elsewhere. :)

No offense, but you kind of come across as a troll. Did someone in a Mazda run over your dog?

Anyways, people chose a certain vehicle for various reasons. The majority of "regular" people shopping for a vehicle have already made up their minds, before even stepping into a dealership. They hate the whole process and just want it to be over. These are the most coveted by salesman, for obvious reasons.

The next most common buyer's research, consists of finding something that is in their budget and fits their needs. Toyota and Honda would probably be on the top of that list, based on well documented past quality histories. When searching for a CUV, most of these shoppers will only consider the CR-V, or Rav4. It takes time to get a brand turned around, like Mazda. I believe they're headed in the right direction, which was one of the reasons we purchased one. I saw Honda dropping in the ranks and Mazda climbing. With that being known, Mazda seriously surprised me with their product. It is near lux level quality at a mainstream price.

Now, if you're main concern is MPG's, storage capacity and Soccer Mom status, you should look elsewhere. :)

Doesnt have anything to do with buyers getting a Honda or Toyota due to past rep. If thats what you believe, Id love to hear an explanation on how a company like Subaru which has less dealers in the states has had 10 consecutive years of sales increases and sells twice as many vehicles as Mazda. They build vehicles that are fuel efficient, roomy, and have a rep for their strong AWD system. In the Pacific Northwest theyre all over the place.

Mazda builds nice looking cars with small interiors, middle of the road MPG and their safety tech cant compete with the competition. How long did it take to get CarPlay?

Mazda builds nice looking cars with small interiors, middle of the road MPG and their safety tech can*t compete with the competition. How long did it take to get CarPlay?

If that's how you feel, why are you posting on the CX-5 forum? Clearly, Subaru and Honda are building the better product, aren't they?

The safety tech comment is false. Mazda has a laser and radar AEB system and strong IIHS performance, so not sure what you're talking about.

When I decided I might buy the CX-5 I looked at Consumer Reports evaluation of it's reliability and was encouraged by what I saw. If there had been many negatives in their report I wouldn't have bought the car. When I started looking I knew I wanted more power than my Renault Duster with 138hp had and I had to have 4 or all wheel drive.

My last 3 cars were: 2012 Acura TSX Wagon, 2004 Subaru Outback H6 and a 1996 Honda Accord LX Wagon. See a trend here? I cycle, have a dog and used to WW kayak. The TSX wagon really had a small cargo section and fitting a bike in back, with front wheel removed, was like trying to fit a puzzle piece. So I considered compact SUVs like the CR-V, Rav4 and more recently, the CX-5. I like the Mazda look better and every comparison I read, or watched, had the CX-5 either winning or coming in 2nd. All its demerits mattered little to me, i.e. limited back seat room and rear cargo space. I don't have kids and rarely have more than one other person in the car. The driving experience was far more important, along with decent cargo space. I have always been more of a Honda guy and figured a CR-V was in my future. As for popularity, with my new GTR, there are 4 CX-5s on my street alone. While CR-Vs are far more numerous in the neighborhood, Mazda seems to be on a good path.

Tim

Attachments

• DSC00486.JPG
    DSC00486.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC00488.JPG
    DSC00488.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 129
Always liked the tsx wagon..would've seriously considered if awd was optional..

Hahah I gotta agree.

People don't buy cars for looks?!? Come on! Of course they do. The #1 reason I liked the Mazda. As I like to joke, yea, I'm that shallow.
YOU think the CRV is ugly? Yea, I do too. Newsflash: a lot of people don't think it's ugly. I am brutally honest with people about cars. Co-worker has an 18 CRV. Asked what I thought of it when she bought it. I said it's a nice car but I think it's ugly and the color she got was absolutely gross. It's the light brown one. I don't understand how anyone can be like "THAT'S THE COLOR I WANT!" Yea, I told her that. She was shocked. She thinks it's gorgeous. She LOVES the way the tail light curve around the back, something I hate about it. And she LOVES the color.
Another co-worker is going through the buying process right now. She wants a 3 row and I was trying to talk her into the CX9. Her VERY FIRST comment when I started talking CX9? Was it "there's not enough leg room" or "there's not enough storage space"? Was it an MPG comment or HP\Torque comment? (Which the CX9 handily beats the Atlas on with it's 'smaller' engine).
No. "I really like the boxy look of the Atlas!"
Ewww! ******* EWWWW! That thing is SO UGLY. and SHE LIKES IT. I was gobsmacked. That IMO is one of the ugliest if not THE. Not one redeeming visual quality to me except the LED DRL's look cool.

Ed mentioned the number of Mazda dealers in Cleveland. There are only 3-4 Volvo dealers in the same area that has 9 Mazda dealers.

Why you keep calling me ED, bro? :D It's Vince if you really want to know.
and I thought there were just 2 Volvo dealers here. Nice sleuthing.

Last edited:
Hahah I gotta agree.

People don't buy cars for looks?!? Come on! Of course they do. The #1 reason I liked the Mazda. As I like to joke, yea, I'm that shallow.
YOU think the CRV is ugly? Yea, I do too. Newsflash: a lot of people don't think it's ugly. I am brutally honest with people about cars. Co-worker has an 18 CRV. Asked what I thought of it when she bought it. I said it's a nice car but I think it's ugly and the color she got was absolutely gross. It's the light brown one. I don't understand how anyone can be like "THAT'S THE COLOR I WANT!" Yea, I told her that. She was shocked. She thinks it's gorgeous. She LOVES the way the tail light curve around the back, something I hate about it. And she LOVES the color.
Another co-worker is going through the buying process right now. She wants a 3 row and I was trying to talk her into the CX9. Her VERY FIRST comment when I started talking CX9? Was it "there's not enough leg room" or "there's not enough storage space"? Was it an MPG comment or HP\Torque comment? (Which the CX9 handily beats the Atlas on with it's 'smaller' engine).
No. "I really like the boxy look of the Atlas!"
Ewww! ******* EWWWW! That thing is SO UGLY. and SHE LIKES IT. I was gobsmacked. That IMO is one of the ugliest if not THE. Not one redeeming visual quality to me except the LED DRL's look cool.

Yep, this sounds about right to me.

I wonder if the reason they haven't brought MS to the streets is because they keep hoping to drop an RX9 and don't want competition within the brand, considering how unpopular Mazda's are...

This I agree with.:) I think any new rotary will be nothing but a charger for an electric engine though. Mazda's days of trying to make that engine pass smog might be over. Hopefully not.
Also, no more Mazdaspeed for some weird reason. It is now Mazda Motorsports.

Last edited:
My dealer was already doing a major construction project on their location. Sales guy said it was a complete overhaul. Hope their service lounge is nice with some quiet areas.
I usually bring a book and it's all but impossible to read with the TV blasting some inane morning show.

Why you keep calling me ED, bro? :D It's Vince if you really want to know.
and I thought there were just 2 Volvo dealers here. Nice sleuthing.

I'm so sorry, dude.

I thought for sure someone here referred to you as Ed. Must be someone else...obviously.

Regarding individual tastes:

raw

I'm so sorry, dude.

I thought for sure someone here referred to you as Ed. Must be someone else...obviously.

LOL No worries. There is a forum regular with Ed in his name. Probably misread someone talking about/to him.

Agreed. And the whole idea of people buying a car for looks is hilarious. Is the CRV the best looking vehicle in the class? How about that ugly last generation RAV4? Both the CRV and RAV4 get better fuel economy, better safety tech and more cargo room. Meanwhile the sexy Mazda vehicles sit on lots unsold. Ive heard people here bash the new RAV4s looks(I happen to like the looks). If its such a horrible looking vehicles, why cant dealers keep the RAV4 Hybrid in stock? Think maybe the hybrid power train has something to do with it? CX9 is the perfect example of what is wrong with Mazda. A nice looking SUV with no hybrid option and a cramped, dark, claustrophobic interior.

Please identify the "better safety tech" you're referring to.

If that's how you feel, why are you posting on the CX-5 forum? Clearly, Subaru and Honda are building the better product, aren't they?

The safety tech comment is false. Mazda has a laser and radar AEB system and strong IIHS performance, so not sure what you're talking about.

Theyre building the better product for most SUV shoppers, not for me necessarily. Im single and an enthusiast, so CX5 would work for me. If I had a wife and kids Id get a RAV4 Hybrid. More space, way better MPG, like better long term reliability. No turbo or cylinder deactivation to deal with.

This I agree with.:) I think any new rotary will be nothing but a charger for an electric engine though. Mazda's days of trying to make that engine pass smog might be over. Hopefully not.
Also, no more Mazdaspeed for some weird reason. It is now Mazda Motorsports.

They sure did rail-road the CX5-D through. Maybe they will manage it with rotary, but I kinda agree.

Back