Mazda CX5 2017 bumper reflector problem

:
CX-5 2017 GT AWD
This happened twice already. Going for another warranty repair again. The problem is a clip on the reflector. To repair this, they don't just change/replace the clip. They will replace the entire bumper. This means leaving the car for several days since they have to order the bumper and then repaint and follows the installation. They did gave me a loaner car. Not even a year and I have parts breaking without them being able to give any explanation how this happens. The first one was the wheel well breaking and twice for this one. Good thing is they repair it for free.

https://youtu.be/HyRxEhsxWQ4

Well there's no reason they need your car while a part is getting shipped nor do they need it to paint it. I don't understand why they need it for days.

I am alright leaving my car since I am able to try other mazda models that they have for loaner. Do others have this problem with their bumper reflector?

This happened twice already. Going for another warranty repair again. The problem is a clip on the reflector. To repair this, they don't just change/replace the clip. They will replace the entire bumper. This means leaving the car for several days since they have to order the bumper and then repaint and follows the installation. They did gave me a loaner car. Not even a year and I have parts breaking without them being able to give any explanation how this happens. The first one was the wheel well breaking and twice for this one. Good thing is they repair it for free.

https://youtu.be/HyRxEhsxWQ4

Has anyone bumped into your rear bumper (uhm)

No trauma or bump on that bumper. It happened before. When you check your bumper reflector it is recessed in the bumper. If something hits that reflector it will dent/ding the bumper. Just a cursed car maybe, lol.

No trauma or bump on that bumper. It happened before. When you check your bumper reflector it is recessed in the bumper. If something hits that reflector it will dent/ding the bumper. Just a cursed car maybe, lol.

Sounds like either poor workmanship of the bumper and reflector area or poor installation of the bumper area where the reflector is.

Something is causing this problem to occur.

Wow they are giving me a hard time. They are saying it got hit by something. A GUY FROM CORPORATE mazda who happened to be at the dealership now insist it got hit by something.. For sure this will be my first and last Mazda.

Wow they are giving me a hard time. They are saying it got hit by something. A GUY FROM CORPORATE mazda who happened to be at the dealership now insist it got hit by something.. For sure this will be my first and last Mazda.

Knew they would say this :(

Maybe force them to get the entire bumper assembly replaced.

I called mazda saying I was pissed at the fact that their tires lasted only 2 years and he said Thank you for being a loyal member of the Mazda family - I loled to his face. Someone should make a video of Mazda turd accidents that happened
Windshield under stress cracks
Transmissions dying at 26K miles - probably find 100 such owners
Rear hatch breaking after being frozen
Joke-O-hama racing brand tires that last 23K miles (They are high performance on a car that cant get out of its own way at 75+ mph)
Sun visor rattles
Remember the guy who bought a fresh released 17 and his dash popped out - At this point it seems Mazda is purposefully putting it together so bad that the parts fall out in your hands and you can feel the luxury quality.
Soul Crystal Red - they might name it Soul Chipping Meth for how bad it lasts.
Superb looking headlights that fail and you can see one eyed GTs driving around and it costs 2K + to fix after warranty. I once did a pomp pomp signal to an old lady driving a Red GT with one DRLs out - she gave me a dirty look and I said - "your DRLs are dead get it fixed before warranty goes out and yeah Welcome to the Mazda family".

I called mazda saying I was pissed at the fact that their tires lasted only 2 years and he said Thank you for being a loyal member of the Mazda family - I loled to his face. Someone should make a video of Mazda turd accidents that happened
Windshield under stress cracks
Joke-O-hama racing brand tires that last 23K miles (They are high performance on a car that cant get out of its own way at 75+ mph)

Just talking about the tires for a moment, you just seem really pissed about being blindsided by the tire wear. Meantime, believe it or not, most of us replaced the tires in 2 years, or me, I did it in 1 1/2 years. It's no mystery the stock Jokeahama tires do indeed suck ass, and this is not exactly hidden if you look at these tire's UTQG ratings. I just don't get how you didn't know this unless you missed those tire threads somehow.

Well happened to othe CX5'shttps://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123834724-Problem-with-rear-bumper-reflector-(broken)

And as the last post stated:

"Well Mazda approved bumper replacement, They will cover all expenses. It is not happens in first place but after I open claim with BBB they call me next day telling me they will cover ALL expenses."

In your own video you can see the scuff on the lens, the rubbed off / clean paint vs dirt and scratch rub / transfer on the painted bumper. And the scratches on the ridge below the reflector.

Unfortunately if you didn't back into something, it looks like something hit you.

bumper.JPG

If out of pocket I'd try to macgyver that lense back into place, polish the bumper and carry on with life. Wait for something more substantial before replacing the whole thing if that's what it takes.

In your own video you can see the scuff on the lens, the rubbed off / clean paint vs dirt and scratch rub / transfer on the painted bumper. And the scratches on the ridge below the reflector.

Unfortunately if you didn't back into something, it looks like something hit you.

View attachment 219605

If out of pocket I'd try to macgyver that lense back into place, polish the bumper and carry on with life. Wait for something more substantial before replacing the whole thing if that's what it takes.

Oops.

But...outrage!!!

View attachment 219605

Keen eye there!

Yup, looks like someone hit the bumper and pushed the reflector in, or, you, or another driver backed into something. That didn't happen by itself.
Either way, you can't really blame the car for that.
Mazda shouldn't have to pay for something that's not their fault, in my humble opinion (for what it's worth).

Seems to be a pretty hard lens that didn't break if did got hit but instead it's clips popped out. I did McGyver'd it already and it's back in place, thou not as flushed as shown on the far left of that lens. Regarding the pic https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=219605&d=1534796365 That top part is just dirt. The mid part (on the lens) and black part of the bumper were very superficial scuff. Here is a better picture after wiping that part off.

29232448957_2abbb50059_b.jpg

Last edited:
The superficial scuff on the black moulding does indicate that area has come into contact with something hence the reflector issue

Back