Mazda CX-50

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
The more I look, the more I intend to say that this a Front wheel driven car. It is not a RWD with AWD car. Just look at the front brake calipers, they are positioned in the front end of the car, like they are for a front wheel car and not in the back of the rotor, like in RWD platforms. Kind of disappointing and my guess this is a new SUV, which seems to be on a large platform, but front wheel driven.

You could be right, but apparently there are some exceptions. This blog post identifies some rear-based AWD cars and RWD cars with front brake calipers in the leading position (Nissan GTR, Porsche Cayenne, FR-S/BRZ twins), along with some explanations for why.

We may just have to wait and see.

ColoradoDriver

Gen-1 Kodo Design
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I may have missed it, do we know if the CX-50 will be a separate model from a continuing CX-5 model or is it replacing it?

I would hope its still two separate models.

:
Mazda CX-9 Signature
I may have missed it, do we know if the CX-50 will be a separate model from a continuing CX-5 model or is it replacing it?

I would hope its still two separate models.
I don't recall seeing any news on discontinuing the cx-5. I think it'll likely be the trend with cx-3 in tandem with cx-30 for a year or two.

:
'17, Mazda 6 GT
Since the news with the EV's popped up, its interesting that nobody is paying a close attention to they're large architecture. From the picture below, along the inline six with 48V mild hybrid, it seems like they are going with a double wishbone suspension, which is amazing news imo and a multilink setup in the rear. Anybody else notice anything interesting ?

large_gasoline_engine_48v_mild_hev_s-copy.jpg

:
'20 Mazda CX-5 Sig
Since the news with the EV's popped up, its interesting that nobody is paying a close attention to they're large architecture. From the picture below, along the inline six with 48V mild hybrid, it seems like they are going with a double wishbone suspension, which is amazing news imo and a multilink setup in the rear. Anybody else notice anything interesting ?

View attachment 300130
Absolutely! Reads like a bargain BMW X3 M40i. Although, in that engine’s current configuration I’m a little confused by the plumbing running across the top of the valve cover. Maybe it’s a turbo sans intercooler plumbing in that photo?
Maybe an air-to-water intercooler hiding on the passenger side?

:
'17, Mazda 6 GT
Absolutely! Reads like a bargain BMW X3 M40i. Although, in that engine’s current configuration I’m a little confused by the plumbing running across the top of the valve cover. Maybe it’s a turbo sans intercooler plumbing in that photo?
Maybe an air-to-water intercooler hiding on the passenger side?

That might be the turbocharger. I posted this on another topic in the CX50 section. Since this is mounted longitudinal, 34 might be the one that is coming on top of the engine.
Capture.PNG

More details from a Q&A session with Mazda in Japan.

for the large group, which is scheduled to go into production at the end of this fiscal year, the company has developed a longitudinal (engine) architecture with a multi-solution architecture that can accommodate 48V mild hybrid, plug-in hybrid, inline four-cylinder and inline six-cylinder gasoline and diesel engines. This completes the "Skyactiv Multi-Solution Scalable Architecture". During the question and answer session, Mr. Hirose also revealed that the company intends to hold a technical presentation and hands-on experience session for this large product line from the latter half of 2021 to the first half of 2022.