Mazda CX-5 Vs. Acura RDX

:
2019 CX-5 GT
Geeze guys, I wasn’t disagreeing with the poster, I was just curious as to the basis of a single opinion.
And you got a nicely thought out reply which I assume is what you asked for? I have given my data point on the 2016 RDX Advanced I owned and absolutely couldn't wait to get rid of. Tons of issues from the get go (purchased it new). The CX-5 has been so good I plan to buy a GTR when my lease ends next year.

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
With Acura, you need to buy *tech package* to get rain sensing wiper...., which is high-tech in eyes of Acura marketing people.... and folding side mirrors as well. The list is quite long and interesting. I used to own one Acura. Their marketing has been among the worst. Never really learned from Lexus. Never had a V8, and now late to electrification... great job, Acura.
I appreciate their SH-AWD, but I don't think majority of luxury car buyers can feel and appreciate the difference..

Hey all,

Just curious if anyone has driven a 3rd Gen 2019+ RDX? If so, what are your thoughts on it? My parents just got one, and although I think it's a sharp SUV, I honestly feel that my 19' GTR is just as nice inside and out. I know that the RDX is a class above, but honestly, for the money I think I would go with the CX-5.

Anyway, just curious what all of your opinions/thoughts are on the RDX. Also, if you're considering one, keep the CX-5 :)
I haven’t driven a newer model rdx, but the last version with the V6 was a smooth driving suv. plenty of power and torque, good gas mileage, and a reliable and smooth 6 speed transmission. Lots of room for people and stuff, a good used car option. Almost bought one before buying my Mazda. Sometimes I miss the extra cargo space.

:
Texas
:
'19 MX-5, '20 CX-5
Unfortunately, the 2nd gen RDX (2013-2018 - the one with the V6) was the only one without SH-AWD. Instead, it used the cheaper, far less-capable AWD system from the CR-V. It wasn't even as capable as Mazda's AWD system.

:
2021 Acura RDX
I am still eyeing up a 2021 RDX A-Spec. I am not sure if I want to give up my Mazda though. I'm trying my best to hold off until the 2023 Mazda model comes out before deciding. Furthermore, I test drove a 2021 Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5T. That was a rather impressive vehicle!

Unfortunately, the 2nd gen RDX (2013-2018 - the one with the V6) was the only one without SH-AWD. Instead, it used the cheaper, far less-capable AWD system from the CR-V. It wasn't even as capable as Mazda's AWD system.
Well I have no use for 4 wheel drive as I live in Tennessee. I had two MDX’s which came standard with sh-awd. Great vehicles and the 2010-2016 version was the best. Just IMO.

:
Texas
:
'19 MX-5, '20 CX-5
I live in NE Texas and never leave paved roads, but I still find AWD incredibly useful for reducing or eliminating wheel spin under hard acceleration or in the rain. AWD has advantages that extend beyond snow and ice. Acura's equipped with SH-AWD overdrive the rear wheels and send power to the rear when accelerating. While the AWD system used in the 2013-2018 RDX helps in low-traction situations, it's nowhere near as capable as SH-AWD and lacks the torque vectoring and overdrive capabilities that improve cornering and give the vehicle a bit of a RWD feel.

Of course, if you're just leisurely putting around town to church, the doctor's office, and the grocery store, none of that really matters. If you enjoy the spirited driving and appreciate good handling dynamics, Acura's SH-AWD system shines.

:
2019 CX-5 GT
I haven’t driven a newer model rdx, but the last version with the V6 was a smooth driving suv. plenty of power and torque, good gas mileage, and a reliable and smooth 6 speed transmission. Lots of room for people and stuff, a good used car option. Almost bought one before buying my Mazda. Sometimes I miss the extra cargo space.
Ha! After owning a 2016 with this transmission for 3yrs and 60k miles that is the last way I would describe it. Acura recommends 30k fluid intervals on it now and mine never shifted reliably smooth, from day one.

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
17 Mazda 6 GT
Ha! After owning a 2016 with this transmission for 3yrs and 60k miles that is the last way I would describe it. Acura recommends 30k fluid intervals on it now and mine never shifted reliably smooth, from day one.
A good friend of ours had the previous gen Acura RDX. In year five, the rad failed and coolant got into the transmission. Irreparable they said. Needs a new trannie. Went with her to the dealership and they were just awful. Yes, it was out of warranty, but it's a known problem with this gen RDX, and Acura wouldn't help in any way. Tough bananas was their response. Suck it up.
All they wanted to do was get her into a new RDX, taking her old one in on a trade, and deducting the retail value of a new transmission on the value of that trade.
We walked of course.
Just one of many examples of why I detest Honda/Acura.
My friend traded the RDX for a BMW, and they gave her $5,000 more for her RDX, even knowing it was broken.

:
CX5 GT-R
A good friend of ours had the previous gen Acura RDX. In year five, the rad failed and coolant got into the transmission. Irreparable they said. Needs a new trannie. Went with her to the dealership and they were just awful. Yes, it was out of warranty, but it's a known problem with this gen RDX, and Acura wouldn't help in any way. Tough bananas was their response. Suck it up.
All they wanted to do was get her into a new RDX, taking her old one in on a trade, and deducting the retail value of a new transmission on the value of that trade.
We walked of course.
Just one of many examples of why I detest Honda/Acura.
My friend traded the RDX for a BMW, and they gave her $5,000 more for her RDX, even knowing it was broken.
Mazda replaced my rear diff in my 2015 CX5 under warranty even though I had very obviously flooded it. They discovered it mid-way through the repair (I truthfully did not know I had), and they still paid 100% to handle it. $2800. I got a $0.00 bill. That played heavily in my decision to buy a 2019.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Mazda replaced my rear diff in my 2015 CX5 under warranty even though I had very obviously flooded it. They discovered it mid-way through the repair (I truthfully did not know I had), and they still paid 100% to handle it. $2800. I got a $0.00 bill. That played heavily in my decision to buy a 2019.
IMO, this particular case of yours had everything to do with your Mazda dealer based on your reports on many warranty services by your dealer, but had not much to do with Mazda North American Operations. In most circumstances MNAO trusts findings by the dealer, to honor the warranty repair.

:
CX5 GT-R
IMO, this particular case of yours had everything to do with your Mazda dealer based on your reports on many warranty services by your dealer, but had not much to do with Mazda North American Operations. In most circumstances MNAO trusts findings by the dealer, to honor the warranty repair.
Yes, but some brands do not give the dealer that latitude. GM, for example, is known to send factory inspectors for many claims.

:
2021 CX-5T AWD CE
Much of the variability in how willing dealers are with warranty repairs has to do with their month-to-month variation in claims. Dealers prefer to keep their claims relatively “flat” at a level that brings in enough warranty money to fill in the gaps in their costumer-paid service (which has better profit margins), but not so high as to raise suspicion at MNOA that they’re doing unnecessary warranty work. A month without many warranty claims and open service bays: “Yes, we’d be happy to fix the problem under warranty!” A tough month with high claims and busy service bays: “Sorry, that’s normal.... they all do that.” Luck of the draw.

- Mark