Mazda CX-5 Vs. Acura RDX

:
2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed
VW? That's like jumping from the frying pan into the fire! VW is 24th out of 26 as far as manufacturer reliability goes. (Consumer Reports, 2021)

Attachments

• Auto brand reliability 14-26.jpg
    Auto brand reliability 14-26.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 26
:
...and the top 13:

Attachments

• Auto brand reliability 1-13.jpg
    Auto brand reliability 1-13.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 37
:
Toronto, ON
:
2021 CX-5 GT Turbo
VW? That's like jumping from the frying pan into the fire! VW is 24th out of 26 as far as manufacturer reliability goes. (Consumer Reports, 2021)

I've had 10+ VWs in the past 20 years, made all over the place (Mexico, Brazil, Germany), and they've been terrific, very reliable overall. I'd be driving a VW wagon if they still sold them, or a Tiguan if it didn't have a pathetic engine, instead of the Mazda. VW isn't as bad as people think.

:
Texas
:
'19 MX-5, '20 CX-5
I know people like to compare the CX5 with the RDX, but it's not really a fair comparison. The RDX is a large 2 row CUV, while the CX5 is a small 2 row CUV.

The EPA classifies both as "small sport utility vehicles".

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 GT Reserve
or a Tiguan if it didn't have a pathetic engine, instead of the Mazda. VW isn't as bad as people think.
I've also had a good experience with VW. Coming off my 4th VW I thought I'd be buying a Tiguan. I liked the overall "Volkswageness" of it until I drove it back to back with the CX-5 GTR. The Tiguan does have a pathetic engine compared to my previous VW's. My dealer sells both brands which made the direct comparison easier. Had the performance been closer I may have opted for the Tiguan but have been very pleased with my GTR.

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
I know people like to compare the CX5 with the RDX, but it's not really a fair comparison. The RDX is a large 2 row CUV, while the CX5 is a small 2 row CUV.
It's a totally fair comparison. If the Signature with the 2.5 T didn't show up when it did, I would have a '19 RDX Advance. Both are classified as CUV's and the slightly larger interior space was not important to us. Drivability and features were.

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
It's a totally fair comparison. If the Signature with the 2.5 T didn't show up when it did, I would have a '19 RDX Advance. Both are classified as CUV's and the slightly larger interior space was not important to us. Drivability and features were.

The size difference was a valid point for me. I owned Acuras for more than 20 years and wanted to buy the 2019 RDX Tech. But the 7 inch length increase over the CX-5 Signature made it feel “big” when driving and tight in my garage. I’ve been really pleased with the CX-5 handling and features so no regrets.

:
I've had 10+ VWs in the past 20 years, made all over the place (Mexico, Brazil, Germany), and they've been terrific, very reliable overall. I'd be driving a VW wagon if they still sold them, or a Tiguan if it didn't have a pathetic engine, instead of the Mazda. VW isn't as bad as people think.
You can find lucky VW owners here and there but year after year CR lists quite a few VWs in their "Worst of the worst" category among used vehicles. This data is derived from tens of thousands of owners' responses to questionnaires regarding vehicle reliability.
Some do perform very well but then again, BMWs and Audis perform well also. To many people, that's not enough to hand over hard-earned cash for a vehicle that is intended to be kept well past the warranty period.

:
2021 CX-9 Sig
:
2014 CX-5 GT
The EPA classifies both as "small sport utility vehicles".

Yeah, the RDX is really close in interior trunk space as compared to the CX-5. I looked a little at the RDX to replace my CX-9, thinking it would offer the rear cargo room I need but just with seating for 4-5, which is all I need.

:
2019 CX-5 GT
Geeze guys, I wasn’t disagreeing with the poster, I was just curious as to the basis of a single opinion.
And you got a nicely thought out reply which I assume is what you asked for? I have given my data point on the 2016 RDX Advanced I owned and absolutely couldn't wait to get rid of. Tons of issues from the get go (purchased it new). The CX-5 has been so good I plan to buy a GTR when my lease ends next year.