Mazda CX-5 front USB not for charging phones

The infotainment hardware is based on the USB 2.0 spec and follows it exactly. The spec calls for fairly low power delivery, which is why you see the low amps and lack of charging when doing other things like GPS. It's a common issue in systems that had their hardware design frozen a few years ago.

Their roadmap calls for a new system in 2019 so its possible they will upgrade this. USB 3.0 allows a lot more power, or they could keep it as 2.0 (for whatever reason) but choose to deliver more power. My guess is they'll switch to 3.0 because going out of spec makes engineers nervous.

Some owners have just upgraded the front ports so it charges properly

so it's my understanding that the usb ports inside the center console are accessory ports, not meant for charging. Think of it like you're plugging your phone into your computer's front usb ports. It will trickle charge but it's not designed to put out the amps to charge it sufficiently. If you want to charge your phone, use the cigarette lighter and add one of these in there https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
I like this one because it doesn't protrude a whole lot from the port and has a lightning built in, with option for a secondary connection

Since I use the center console cigarette lighter port for an inverter I just have my usb charger plugged into the phone rest station and charge my phone that way

That's how I've always charged my phones. The only thing that I used the USB ports was for media. I assumed the everybody charged that way.

Some owners have just upgraded the front ports so it charges properly

Interesting, but I'm not likely to do it as Mazda will be upgrading CX-5 with Apple Play and Android Play in July. I understand with that comes more juice.

Interesting, but I'm not likely to do it as Mazda will be upgrading CX-5 with Apple Play and Android Play in July. I understand with that comes more juice.
Is that right (uhm)

(hmm) interesting

Is that right (uhm)

(hmm) interesting

The sales dude at Oaktree Mazda confirmed that with me when I bought the car two weeks ago. I mentioned that the Mazda press lease wasn’t explicit about the CX-5, and that other models were mentioned, but not the cX-5. He said yes, July-ish. It wasn’t clear if it was a free or pay for upgrade. I’m guessing latter.

The sales dude at Oaktree Mazda confirmed that with me when I bought the car two weeks ago. I mentioned that the Mazda press lease wasn’t explicit about the CX-5, and that other models were mentioned, but not the cX-5. He said yes, July-ish. It wasn’t clear if it was a free or pay for upgrade. I’m guessing latter.
They did say for a fee previously

They did say for a fee previously

Well you have to be tethered for ACP to work and it needs a certain amount of amperage but I thought 1a would be enough since Ive seen aftermarket radios with ACP only output 1a. It might be android uses that need the hardware upgrade, though Im not sure if android auto works over Bluetooth but ACP does not

Android phone can run that low but at 2.0 they do quick charge.
And I'm pretty sure Apple is working wireless. I thought was in one car already.

Well you have to be tethered for ACP to work and it needs a certain amount of amperage but I thought 1a would be enough since I’ve seen aftermarket radios with ACP only output 1a. It might be android uses that need the hardware upgrade, though I’m not sure if android auto works over Bluetooth but ACP does not

AA needs to be connected via usb cable or wirelessly. Doesn't connect via bluetooth

Last edited:
Hi there,

looking for something to charge my phone in front of my cx9.. I read the posts, both links to an adaptor were broken.. anyone have a new link or know what term I should plug in to my search bar so I can stop running 10 foot cords in the car? TIA!

The two USB ports in the center console of my car have USB sticks loaded with music plugged into them. I have one of the cigarette lighter adapter plugs stashed in the console and when I want to charge my phone on the road I simply plug it into the port that is forward of the gear selector lever in the little tray. Works just fine, put a 50% charge on my Samsung Galaxy in about 45 minutes. Enough for a margin of safety while I was out doing errands for a couple of hours and then I put the phone on the regular charger when I got home.

Back