Mazda CX-5 front USB not for charging phones

:
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 2018
I know you know but I thought you’d like to see how much current a charging iPhone 7 Plus pulls... not much.

2b4855e6cd1016becbbea7aa23caac48.jpg

WOW. 0.43 amps. One would hope that when the ACP / AA comes they will be upping the power on the USB ports.

What do the other ports show?

I charge my phone all the time using using the front USB port, works fine. I get about 10% charge on my 20 minute drive to work. Is that normal or considered slow? I also have the iphone 7.

And this is why Apple Car Play requires 2 Amps on the USB and we're going to have to pay for the upgrade. You can't charge and use the phone at the same time.

It’s annoying. I plug into the rear charger with a long Anker cable (which I highly recommend). It’s always on which is cool too. I don’t have kids anymore so it’s not a big deal, but I could see how it is problematic with little tax credits sitting in the back.

It’s annoying. I plug into the rear charger with a long Anker cable (which I highly recommend). It’s always on which is cool too. I don’t have kids anymore so it’s not a big deal, but I could see how it is problematic with little tax credits sitting in the back.

(lol) I was just thinking about doing that. (lol)

This is my commuting car. Most of the time, I don't have passengers in the back. But my OCD side thinks I should keep the car wire free...

Correction: sorry, everywhere I said iPhone 6 plus, I meant iphone 7 plus. <== I'm not 100% sure what difference it makes.

AFAIK the only "USB power outlets" that can be used for decent phone charging is the one in the rear seat centre console as it has sufficient power and amperage:

okc1hf.jpg

AFAIK the only "USB power outlets" that can be used for decent phone charging is the one in the rear seat centre console as it has sufficient power and amperage:

okc1hf.jpg

That’s the one I was talking about. Decent
Solution for empty nesters.

so it's my understanding that the usb ports inside the center console are accessory ports, not meant for charging. Think of it like you're plugging your phone into your computer's front usb ports. It will trickle charge but it's not designed to put out the amps to charge it sufficiently. If you want to charge your phone, use the cigarette lighter and add one of these in there https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
I like this one because it doesn't protrude a whole lot from the port and has a lightning built in, with option for a secondary connection

Since I use the center console cigarette lighter port for an inverter I just have my usb charger plugged into the phone rest station and charge my phone that way

Last edited:
Back