Mazda considering CX-5, a Hakaze-inspired crossover

Hi, Peter...the car (cx-5 or sometimes called cx-3) was confirmed several times in the last year , free citations from executives: Mazda Europe CEO: "a special crossover version of Mazda 3", Mazda Motor CEO a few months ago was talking about "a SUV below CX-7" and so on....

the economics are bad, tough....and in Mazda, they have delayed the plans on this car.

my 2 cents...We'll see a production version in 2011...and with Next Gen SKY Engines under the hood, Maeda's video is a confirmation IMHO

Great to see new info on a possible CX-3 or CX-5...It would be a natural extension of Mazda's "Zoom Zoom" style...A fun, sporty yet durable/practical compact style suv that's not only fun to use but fun to drive! (drive)

Offer it at an affordable price with cool options and a SKY series engine and you're golden, Mazda! (first)

Thanks for the info, MazdaMatt! (thumb)

possible that are "artifact statement" for doing a "smoke wall" over the car in final development and not disturb the well-selling Cx-7 in 2010.

in 2011 Yamanouchi have declared OFFICIALLY that SKY engines will be launched.......... in wich car?

-Not into new 5 (engines are almost actual MZR)

-Mx-5 ND?

-what else?

i'm expecting NEW cars in 2011 NAIAS and/or 2011 Geneve Salon.

Does it say which markets they are planning to sell it in?

CEO of Mazda said officially (@2010 NY Auto Show): "we'll launch SKY gasoline engines in 2011 worldwide"

in my opinion Cx-5 and/or mx-5 ND are the best candidate for that line of engines.

we'll see...

Not sure how these guys know so much more than anyone else, but they seem pretty sure
www.reedmantollmazda.com/2011-mazda-cx5.htm
(BTW, I'm in Texas, they're in Philly, so no commercial)
Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.
I have read, though, that they're not coming out until "late 2011" - too bad, since their main competition will get a year jump on them - bad planning, Mazda. And I was wanting to buy a car this year, don't know if I can hold off another 12-14 months. I wish automakers wouldn't even tell us about new stuff until is only 6 months or so till they're on the lot.

Not sure how these guys know so much more than anyone else, but they seem pretty sure
www.reedmantollmazda.com/2011-mazda-cx5.htm
(BTW, I'm in Texas, they're in Philly, so no commercial)
Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.
I have read, though, that they're not coming out until "late 2011" - too bad, since their main competition will get a year jump on them - bad planning, Mazda. And I was wanting to buy a car this year, don't know if I can hold off another 12-14 months. I wish automakers wouldn't even tell us about new stuff until is only 6 months or so till they're on the lot.

A great article which I hope is true, however it is quite old. It talks about "next year" when Ford rolls out the fiesta and its arriving in dealers right now. Also, it makes clear mention of Ford's strong tie to Mazda, however Ford sold the majority of its stake in Mazda at the beginning of 2009. I'm not saying this info is wrong, just old.

Yeah, just grasping at straws, I guess, but desperate for any info since Mazda isn't giving us any. Like I said, why say "Hey, we're going to build this great car! Oh, wait it's not coming for a long time and we're not going to say anything else."

wait for some news in September before Paris Motor Show. a concept (maybe near to production, not only a study) is expected.

we'll see.

Last edited:
The economy is slowly improving and car sales are actually doing ok...I have a uncle who owns a Ford dealership and my brother has been selling for 20 years now. It still tough but not bad. I think Mazda will build it. Nissan has the Juke which I am considering next but just wish it was a little bigger...soo...if Mazda does the CX 5 I think it will be a serious contender. But who knows...anything can happen! Let's hope they build it....I wat a yellow one!!! ;]

shapeimage_6.png

sexy mx3 precidia gets raped by big nissan murano = one ugly kid (see above)

mx3.jpg

2 mins in MSpaint and I give you the all new 2012 Mazda MX-3 Hybrid AKA CR-Z crusher

Minagi

OK, now we have seen the concept from most angles and looked inside (in fact everywhere but in the boot, which makes one wonder whether this is another small crossover with a too-small boot, like the Tiguan and Ford Kuga). The concept has been well-received by the motoring media, and here's one sample. Of course, it ended up looking nothing like the sketch released some months earlier as a teaser pre-Geneva motor show. See my analysis of this trend of releasing go-fast sketches here.

Back