Mazda Connect - Pandora/Amazon Music through USB?

sqrlmstrRJ

:
Mazda 3
Finally got around to moving my USB cables from my old car to the new CX5 and stumbled across an issue... Pandora won't play, nor will anything that doesn't have actual music files on my iPhone, when connected to the USB port but works fine on Bluetooth. Main reason this is a huge problem for me is my Bluetooth drops during rush hour (presumably due to the amount of interference in the surrounding vehicles?) and the audio quality is actually quite poor with the Bose system when using the Bluetooth. Poor quality as in I hear a lot of crackles and pops compared to my old vehicle which was directly connected to audio via AUX. Should note that this issue is worse with Amazon music than Pandora, but maybe this is due to Pandora having it's own 'app' and Amazon is just through Bluetooth? Either way, any help would be greatly appreciated...

I have a 2016 CX-5 with Bose and an iPhone 6. Just tested it out--with the Pandora app running on the phone, I can actually flip back and forth between the BT and the USB connection to my phone with no issues other than a delay in playing the Pandora stream (although it seemed that the BT connection can be choppy when the phone is also connected via USB at the same time--hmmm).

I primarily just play my music on phone and not Pandora and with that I have trouble occasionally using the USB connection--it will just sits there on the music screen, not loading anything. Disconnecting the USB cable and reconnecting doesn't help. The only thing that does help is to disconnect the phone and reboot the Mazda Connect system, and then let that come up and then re-connect the USB wire to my phone. Sometimes I have to reboot my phone, too, but not always. I can't figure out a specific reason, as the overall problem seems to only happen randomly and thankfully rarely now with the latest system update (760). Sometimes with the problem I'll get the occasional "this device is not recognized" or something similar.

Maybe try the system reboot on yours to see if that fixes things? It can be done by pressing back+nav+mute at the same time...hold until the screen goes black and then the initializing Mazda animation starts up...

I use Amazon music some and have also found the sound usually better through USB than bluetooth. Not sure why it isn't working for you.
Iphone 6 here.

Back