Mazda Care Warranty Pricing

:
Pearl White AWD GT w/Tech
For those who purchased an extended warranty from their Mazda dealer how do these prices compare?

7 years with $100 deductible $1437 + Tax
6 years with $100 deductible $1359 + Tax

Im about 200 miles shy of 36k on my '13 CX-5, I'm wondering if its worth the peace of mind to get an extended warranty. I used to average about 15k miles a year but now that I am working closing to home my mileage could drop down to 5-6k/year.

When I purchased my car, the Finance guy offered me any warranty for $100 above whatever it cost him.

I still considered it a waste of money.

Yea I agree I came from a Jetta that had nothing but problems so I guess the paranoia of potential problems has made me want to get an extended warranty.

BTW: I used to have a S2K as well ('02 Sebring Silver) God I missed that car...

When I purchased my car, the Finance guy offered me any warranty for $100 above whatever it cost him.

If your mileage does drop that significantly you will probably have less than 60000 miles on the car when the extended warranty expires. But, the car will still be covered by the drivetrain warranty. SO you are paying $1400 to essentially insure that non-drivetrain things are covered for the next 30000 miles. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Is that for unlimited mileage? I'm at 30k miles right now and my car will be two years old in February. If the only limit is the years it might be worth it...

I am generally against paying extra for warranties because the issuing company prices them such that they end up paying out less than customers pay. And the customers end up coving all the administrative costs, taxes plus the profit.

And on a car as well engineered and built as the CX-5, it is an even worse value.

Best advice is to put the money you would have spent on the warranty in an investment account with dividend yielding stocks and bonds and reserve it for potential repairs that would have been covered by the extended warranty. But, chances are, at the end of the warranty period it will all still be there. Then you can let it ride to cover potential repairs on your next vehicle without making further contributions. Over time your account will likely grow larger than any conceivable repair imaginable and you can roll most of it into your retirement account.

Agreed. Also, I would feel like asking him why I should pay him $100 for 10 minutes of paperwork. He's a car salesman, not an inventor.

More Americans need to take charge of their personal finances.

Good point my biggest concern is the drivetrain which is indeed covered by the 5yr/60k warranty.

If your mileage does drop that significantly you will probably have less than 60000 miles on the car when the extended warranty expires. But, the car will still be covered by the drivetrain warranty. SO you are paying $1400 to essentially insure that non-drivetrain things are covered for the next 30000 miles. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

I have purchased 6 brand new cars in my life and am very sure to get every recommended oil change and maintain my vehicles. Every single time I purchased a car, I bought the extended warrantee and every single time I have had to use it to AT LEAST the cost of the warrantee. My CX-7 would have cost me at least $3,000 without it. So, for those of you who "don't believe" in extended warrantees.... good luck with that!

The factory extended warranty on my '07 Infiniti G35X cost around $1800. Warranty claims so far are over $6K. That being said I am leaning toward not purchasing one on the CX-5.

Every single time I purchased a car, I bought the extended warrantee and every single time I have had to use it to AT LEAST the cost of the warrantee. My CX-7 would have cost me at least $3,000 without it.

Makes you wonder how those companies underwriting the extended warranties stay in business....

So, for those of you who "don't believe" in extended warrantees.... good luck with that!

I don't believe in "luck" per say. It's all about the odds. The underwriters know this. Most peoples extended warranties expire either unused or so lightly used it was an expensive mistake. And the few (such as yourself) who appear to have benefited are still not as fortunate as those who avoided paying for the warranty and had good reliability.

One of the worst deals is to finance an extended warranty. Then you are paying interest on repairs you may never need - double whammy.

That's no way to become financially secure.

I don't believe in "luck" per say. It's all about the odds. The underwriters know this. Most peoples extended warranties expire either unused or so lightly used it was an expensive mistake. And the few (such as yourself) who appear to have benefited are still not as fortunate as those who avoided paying for the warranty and had good reliability.

One of the worst deals is to finance an extended warranty. Then you are paying interest on repairs you may never need - double whammy.

That's no way to become financially secure.

0% interest loan.

I don't have an extended warranty due to usually not keeping a vehicle long.Extended warranties are for some are 'peace of mind' and worth it.
I'd probably buy one if I kept a vehicle long and haggle a nice discount off asking price.Plenty of room to haggle in warranty cost.
I believe a extended warranty can be bought anytime before 36 months or 36K miles basic warranty.

Last edited:
Howdy All,

I've been very curious about this as I've never bought an extended warranty on all my Vehicles, but am a person
that keeps my Trucks for a long period of time.

So now, I'm waiting on the 2016 CX-5 and for all practical purposes this will be my last vehicle. as I retired the end of October.
Since I have kept my last 3 vehicles 14yrs plus, I don't see getting another car or truck, so I'm looking at the long term benefits
of the extended Warranty and I know that the reliability of the CX-5 has been doing well, it's still basically new technology with only being
3 yrs old. That leaves me wanting to make sure that I'm somewhat protected for ten years, Hell, I may not even make it that long !!!
Just don't want any large financial hits that would affect our Road Trips and Good Times, or leave me stranded somewhere with repair and
rental bills, especially since neither of Us will be Working any More.......Yeah!!!

So, I'll be curious of more people's thoughts or ideas.

Take Care,

CK

I considered an extended warranty because there's so much tech, it'd be good to have that covered. But, they can't fix it under warranty, how would they fix it under extended warranty?!?!?!

You probably should do whatever makes you more secure & comfortable.

My retired parents who are on a fixed income purchased a new '10 Mazda 3 (5-door) back in 2009. They did purchase an extended warranty. I reviewed their purchase documents and dealer sold them this worthless 3rd party warranty that only filled in bumper to bumper for 5 years. I told them to get their money back and purchase the actual Mazda warranty. It was several hundred cheaper and extended their warranty out 10 years or 100K miles.

Dealer finance officer had the nerve to act like it was the first time he had seen this extended Mazda warranty. So far the only claim they have made was for a radio replacement that occurred after the 3/36 warranty.

Sometimes fixes for some issues don't come out till years later or manufacturer waits until basic warranty expires before releasing the TSB.

Howdy All,

I've been very curious about this as I've never bought an extended warranty on all my Vehicles, but am a person
that keeps my Trucks for a long period of time.

So now, I'm waiting on the 2016 CX-5 and for all practical purposes this will be my last vehicle. as I retired the end of October.
Since I have kept my last 3 vehicles 14yrs plus, I don't see getting another car or truck, so I'm looking at the long term benefits
of the extended Warranty and I know that the reliability of the CX-5 has been doing well, it's still basically new technology with only being
3 yrs old. That leaves me wanting to make sure that I'm somewhat protected for ten years, Hell, I may not even make it that long !!!
Just don't want any large financial hits that would affect our Road Trips and Good Times, or leave me stranded somewhere with repair and
rental bills, especially since neither of Us will be Working any More.......Yeah!!!

So, I'll be curious of more people's thoughts or ideas.

Take Care,

CK

You probably should do whatever makes you more secure & comfortable.

My retired parents who are on a fixed income purchased a new '10 Mazda 3 (5-door) back in 2009. They did purchase an extended warranty. I reviewed their purchase documents and dealer sold them this worthless 3rd party warranty that only filled in bumper to bumper for 5 years. I told them to get their money back and purchase the actual Mazda warranty. It was several hundred cheaper and extended their warranty out 10 years or 100K miles.

Dealer finance officer had the nerve to act like it was the first time he had seen this extended Mazda warranty. So far the only claim they have made was for a radio replacement that occurred after the 3/36 warranty.

Sometimes fixes for some issues don't come out till years later or manufacturer waits until basic warranty expires before releasing the TSB.

Howdy Kedis82ZE8,

Thanks very much for your story, that's exactly the Warranty that I was looking at, I don't want a Third Party.

I also agree, it's peace of mind also, knowing that regardless of what takes place, things will be taken care of.
This will also bring more confidence since we'll be taking it on a lot of long Road Trips. Things didn't used to be
so important when I was young, but when you get older breaking down or having car trouble gets more serious.

Thanks again for the info.

Take care,

CK

This will also bring more confidence since we'll be taking it on a lot of long Road Trips.
Things didn't used to be
so important when I was young, but when you get older breaking down or having car trouble gets more serious.

Unfortunately, a warranty doesn't reduce your chances of breaking down on a road trip.

And if you have a warranty, you will have the extra burden of making sure the repairs are done by an eligible shop using eligible parts rather than getting the repairs accomplished in the most expedient fashion and continuing your road trip.

The last thing I want to deal with when I'm on vacation is arguing whether the repair should be covered by the extended warranty or not.

Fortunately, serious mechanical breakdowns are becoming quite rare.

Fortunately, serious mechanical breakdowns are becoming quite rare.

Which is exactly what they count on when selling you the warranty. If they make money, you loose money.

With all the extended waranties I refused in my life (and would never have used anyway), along with interest, I probably payed for half my CX-5 if not more.

IMO: If you can afford the most expensive fix possible on your vehicle then forego the warranty... otherwise one may take comfort in buying it. Not sure about Mazda but Infiniti's extended warranty also included the roadside assistance. I picked one up on my G35 years ago and it has more than paid off but I was concerned about all the electronics. It has the active headlights like the tech package on CX-5 as well as radar cruise. I also figured the old school physical hard drive in the nav unit (ripped music & nav maps) was going to give out at some point. No one has successfully been able to clone this encrypted drive so a cheap swap seems unlikely.

Back