Mazda 626 Intake Mani Info thread

ForceFed

:
Trailblazer SS AWD ....Still a Mazda Junkie Though.
Well since the other thread was deemed doomed...I am making this thread to collect and post as much info as we can possibly come up with in regards to using this intake on the 2.0L FS-DE Protege and mainly the MSP.

The other thread was closed due to Cullen from SU interfering with us trying to get info on this mani. Lets not have the same thing happen again.I am going to go through the other thread and I would like any mods helping in piecing together the good info from the thread including all pics and anything else we need to include in this thread.
Who can I get to help with this?

All of the info here is based upon the 2000 Mazda 626 Intake manifold for the 2.0L FS motor with STD. Emissions.

Currently Azian6er and tekkie are the only two that we know of running this mani.Tekkie has posted pics of it on his car and comparisons of the stocker to the 626 mani.We are currently waiting of pics on Azian6er's car and for his time to make it to the dyno to test it out in the real world.

The original Thread is here...Read up...It has a lot of info and questions between all of the BS posting.
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123290

I ask all who post here to please be contributive and not let the previous threads comments carry over into this one.

I didnt start this battle but I am here to help it come to a realization.

Last edited:
Pics of intake...

attachment.php

This info posted by Tekkie
tekkie said:
hmm check this out, here is the placement of the EGR pipe on the stock 626 header, it looks to be in the same place as ours so I am thinking the 626 EGR pipe will fit perfectly :) I will be finding out this week :D

img01315lf.jpg

img01327hh.jpg

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Last edited:
This info is from Tekkie as well
Tekkie said:
For comparisons sake here is the stock vs 626 manifold, as you can see the EGR placement is not very different, the stock pipe may even work. The egr pipe in these pics are fro the protege manifold.

IMG_2779-vi.jpg

IMG_2780-vi.jpg

IMG_2781-vi.jpg

IMG_2782-vi.jpg
IMG_2783-vi.jpg

IMG_2784-vi.jpg

IMG_2785-vi.jpg

IMG_2786-vi.jpg
IMG_2787-vi.jpg

IMG_2788-vi.jpg

IMG_2789-vi.jpg

IMG_2790-vi.jpg

IMG_2791-vi.jpg

IMG_2792-vi.jpg

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->_________________

More info and pics from Tekkie

Pics of the 626 Mani on his car
Tekkie said:
here you dont believe the 626 manifold will fit, its on my car and if fits no problem, once I get the egr pipe on then I will hook all the s*** up and dyno the b****

IMG_2830-vi.jpg

IMG_2829-vi.jpg

but like I said earlier I figured the EGR pipe would be close, but it was not close enough it needs another good 1 1/2 - 2 " so instead of customizing this one I am going to just buy the 626 egr pipe

IMG_2828-vi.jpg

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Pics of Beforeand after preeping the mani

Tekkie said:
from the scrapyard, just after I started cleaning it up
IMG_2820-vi.jpg

after its painted and stored in my bathroom with a heater for a few hours :)

IMG_2824-vi.jpg

JCell said:
any gains on this mod for a N/A application?
We are unsure of any info for sure ,but as far as all of the initial talk ,it will lose power on the N/A apps because of the single runner design.Until a N/A car steps up to the plate and tests and dyno's this...It is not for sure.

ForceFed-- Do you know what tekkie did to make the erg pipe work? Is he using the 626 erg pipe and did he have to modify it. If he did what modifications need to be done to make it work.
Also what year 626 manifold is that?

Unless you're tuned for it I doubt this'll do anything big for N/A. Maybe you'll get better power down low, but I think it'll hurt your top end.

97Protegedx said:
ForceFed-- Do you know what tekkie did to make the erg pipe ...work? Is he using the 626 erg pipe and did he have to modify it. If he did what modifications need to be done to make it work.
Also what year 626 manifold is that?
Actuallly,as far as I know the EGR situation of being different has not been resolved. We know that the Stock MSP EGR pipe is not long enough to connect at both of the spots on the 626 mani. Tekkie has said that he is going to order the 626 EGR pipe and see if that works. We will know when he tries that. After that if it doesnt work,it looks like a custom pipe will be needed to keep the EGR function.
Puckpimp71 said:
Unless you're tuned for it I doubt this'll do anything big for N/A. Maybe you'll get better power down low, but I think it'll hurt your top end
I beleive it is the other way around...I beleive you will lose power low and gain up top...Some one with good info on this chime in here.

Thanks guys I though that other thread was never going to end. This is very nice of you guys to go thru the trouble of wasting time and money for everyone's benefit thanks again.

ForceFed said:
I beleive it is the other way around...I beleive you will lose power low and gain up top...Some one with good info on this chime in here.
I remember someone saying that the longer runners are better for lower end because the incoming air has more momentum, at least for NA cars. I think NA this set up would lose efficiency at the top... not sure if I've got it right... bueller?

thanks for starting this thread ForceFed :)

I finished the install last night, but I have a small vacumn line isssue, I think when I clamped down my brake booster I did it to hard and crushed it :(

but regardless of that I got the car all fired up and its running, not running good though because the emanage does not see the vacumn

but I will be fixing that tonight and posting up the completed project :)

obviously with the vacumn line problem I could not drive it but that should be a quick fix

And for the EGR I came up with a different plan if it works which I think it will its a cheap fix, its a stainless steel gas line for a dryer, fireplace etc. I dont know how well this will hold up against the heat but I think it should do the job, and its nice and flexible so installing it is way easier than the EGR pipe.

this is a pic as an example, the one I have was just a couple inches longer than the egr pipe so it fit pretty well
a5_1.JPG

Back