Mazda 5

Hello just need a little help here, I have a 2010 Mazda 5 with 167k, have not had any problems till now. At 65-75 mph it starts to hesitate but does not stall. Does anyone have an idea what this could be. Just had an oil change approx. 50 miles ago.

When did you last:
Clean throttle body?
Clean MAF Sensor?
Replace air filter?
Replace spark plugs?
Replace transmission fluid?

These are the first things I'd suspect for what you're describing.

Does the hesitation stop being evident after 75mph? It doesn't do it at all in lower speeds but similar RPMs?

I would assume it's not a transmission issue since the transmission should be in top gear at that point and isn't going to shift.

I am almost guessing that it might be a fuel pump not giving enough gas at the top end.

I would suspenct plugs or wires at lower RPMs. Those generally smooth out at higher RPMs.

I'd check the oil level. It's not uncommon for kids to put too much which will cause running issues and even destroy your cat.

I’m also curious if the problem goes away after it happens at speed, or if it persists while you’re continuing to go fast. Had a failing fuel pump in my old Mz3 which did the same... take it above 55 and it would hesitate. Take it above 65 and it would buck and try to stall.

Back