Matt V's '90 Miata

I'd rather have this than nothing at all. Don't hate it if you haven't had one yourself. A lot of "nay say" on these forums is such bulls***.

Actually, both of those things HAHA.

And I've heard of it, but that's really only if you FLIP the car. I won't be competing much in this car so that's not a concern. It HAS been proven though that the style bars add strength to the left and right side, in the event of a side impact.

I've seen a butt-ton more rollovers on the street than I have in competition. But hey, who am I to judge.

I'd rather have this than nothing at all. Don't hate it if you haven't had one yourself. A lot of "nay say" on these forums is such bulls***.

OK. Here's the thing man. EVERYONE on the forums lately has had sand shoved so far up their vaginas that in 5 years they're going to be pissing glass. Everyone needs to chill for ****'s sake.

You've had your Miata for a few months, Dub's had his a bit longer, I've had mine for almost 2 years, and Muff's going on... well... much more. Everyone jumps to a pissy conclusion and usually says something about hating. Can we ditch the petty bulls*** all around by everyone please?

Style bars are simply that. For style. They mount in two points and do dick for handling. They are mounted in the stiffest part of the car. Not to mention they're not connected to any suspension component. I question the logic behind the handling issue. Side impact... ok, it could help a little bit if hit between the door and the wheel well. If you get hit directly in the door, it's not going to help. Another questionable point.

Full roll bars mount in 4 or more places, adding more rigidity to the chassis. Will that help handling? Maybe a little. A normal person may never notice. Will it help safety? In the event of a roll over, sure. The link I posted shows a lot of roll over cars. I never know what may happen in my life, but I'm damn sure going to make sure that I have something protecting my noggin in the unlikely event of an accident.

So what you choose to do is obviously your choice, but please take these ideas as thoughts. I know you scored it free. I know they sometimes look pretty good. But let's not get too ahead of ourselves with questionable information.

"basically" what I was getting at(cept u did a much better wording) but matt seemed to of made up his mind on it so I didn't bother.

And seriously, I didn't hardly notice any change in handling after the roll bar was put in, and thats a roll bar that has four points and 12 heavy duty bolts holding it down. I feel like the added handling u think u feel is just ur mind over powering ur senses. I still can't believe u claim to of felt a difference in power between a CAI and SRI on the protege. lol

I feel like the added handling u think u feel is just ur mind over powering ur senses. I still can't believe u claim to of felt a difference in power between a CAI and SRI on the protege. lol

Gotta love the placebo effect.

I've got a welded in 4 point bar at the seat-belt mounts and at the rear shock mounts, and there wasn't an enormous change in chassis rigidity over no bar at all, but "improved handling" is a bit of a stretch (shrug)

If you like it, keep it. It really is just personal preference anyway. Just understand that some of the claims may not be entirely true.

I'd like to see you upgrade to a roll bar sometime(getting in and out the car wasn't changed at all and install isn't that bad), but I think it looks alright. Claiming things that arn't 100% are what get people on ur ass lol.

I bought my roll bar for the "Just incase it happens" on mine. I dind't buy cause i was planning on tracking the car.

I vote yes for getting a legit rollbar, just cause i'd hate to see it mousetrap you on the off chance you do roll it

But if you do remove the style bar, KEEP IT! IT's worth an EASY $500+ on the value of your car if you try to sell on miata.net lol

A roll bar is on the list, but not til way down the road.

aMaff - I noticed a difference in handling, which is why I said that.

Last edited:
Well, I have HALF of my suspension on. We were finishing up one of the rear struts and the tophat bolt snapped off. I gotta get it re-threaded, will probably finish it on Saturday.

Well, I have HALF of my suspension on. We were finishing up one of the rear struts and the tophat bolt snapped off. I gotta get it re-threaded, will probably finish it on Saturday.

It's an NA, just get a new one. They're not terribly expensive from any used miata parts house.

No no, the bolt that HOLDS the tophat but threads onto the strut piston thread broke off and stripped.

No no, the bolt that HOLDS the tophat but threads onto the strut piston thread broke off and stripped.

The bolt that threads into the top of the shock piston??? You mean the shock top nut? Did it booger up the threads of the shock? The nut broke off, or the actual top of the piston broke?

Last edited:
The nut stripped out and the threads got all messed up so I have to re-thread it. I'll be working on it tonight, but for now my car looks like a muscle car with the sick rake stance!

Suspension is finished! I also got my new window regulator so I should have my window fixed tomorrow.

Back