Mass Air Flow intermittent circuit warning

semrz1

:
Mazda CX-9
Guys,
Need help on this one. I'm getting P0104 cell light today after running a scan. Appreciate anyone feedback on how to resolve this issue. Thanks

The info below is from OBD-Codes.com. I searched P0104 and this is what I got. I added some CEL info adn a link to all the service manuals for 04-08 RX-8's to the FAQ link in my sig (If anyone knows where I can find the SVC Manuals for the S2 RX-8 let me know and I will add them). Check there for more information.

What does that mean? Basically this means that there is a problem with the Mass Air Flow High (MAF) sensor or circuit. A more technical description would be that the MAF is producing incorrect air flow readings. Other MAF sensor circuit DTC trouble codes are P0100, P0101, P0102, and P0103.

CausesA code P0104 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

-The mass air flow (MAF) circuit is incomplete (broken / frayed wire, etc.)
-There is an air leak in the intake system

Possible Solutions: The simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back. Then start with the cheapest, easiest repair procedures:

-Verify that the Mass Air Flow Sensor wiring is connected properly and that there are no broken / frayed wires.
-Inspect for any air leaks near the MAF sensor.
-Check the voltage of the MAF sensor (refer to a repair manual for vehicle specific information)
-Replace the MAF sensor.

Thumbs up for Solidtrance,
Thank you for the information and recommendation. The cell is gone after going through the cheapest option, i.e, resetting the ecu by unplugging the battery. It's working fine. Hope this will not happen again.

Again, thank you.

When I had that light up check your intake. If you have a stock intake the mesh screen in the box itself will losen and fall off into the box so if you put it back your CEL will go away. It happened to me once. If you have an aftermarket intake and it doesn't have a mesh screen in front of the MAF sensor, your intake wasn't made very well for the RX-8.

After a year pass, the check light pop-up again, and its the Mass Air Flow Sensor problem. Replace with a new sensor (bought from AutoFix) last night. Tried to start up the car on first time but couldn't. Had to press the throttle repeatedly just to keep the car alive on start-up. Let the car warm up for couple of minutes to stable the idling & no check engine light up. This morning was different. When i start the car, the check engine light up but the idling was fine. While driving to work, I felt the car was behaving different, light jerks on cruising but not frequently. Appreciate anyone comments/feedbacks. Thanks

^^ What he said.

If so check to be sure your mass air sensor is seated properly and installed properly. IIRC you can install it backwards.

Hey guys....
I bought a new air flow sensor from ebay. After installing the new sensor and reset the battery, the warning light disappear. Let the car warm up, and after 5 minutes, the warning pops-up. This time, the car idling was erratic. I was puzzled (wow)..
Since it's worse than beffore, I re-installed back the old sensor & reset the battery. Surprise....the warning dissapear for good, and the car idling is back to normal....what the heck is going on???? Any ideas....

Yup, glad its ok now, but puzzle why its doing fine....hope the issue wont happen again....:)

Back