manual transmission oil

yes it can be done in the driveway, its just about as easy as an oil change. I also do mine with the car jacked up, just make sure you put in the proper 2.9 quarts like booster said, Its easiest to do if you have a funnel with a hose on the end and a friend to help pour.

Hank3, just check the weight of that gear oil, our cars use 75w90, if that is equivalent, then it would work. I have no idea if it is any good though, all i have read about is mobile1, redline, and royal purple.

Yeah...the Speed3 takes 75W90 so this will work. Next thing would be the shelf life. I've had it for about a year now. Wondered if it's still good.

Last edited:
wait, you bought the fluid for the speed3 which takes 75w90 and p5's also take 75w90 so wouldn't that be fine? and trans fluid has an almost indefinite shelf life (at least the fully synthetic does i think), i'd only really start getting concerned after 5-10 years because the bottle itself will start to deteriorate and flake off disgustingness into the fluid. I wouldn't worry too much about just 1 year (hell people have trans fluid in their car being used for well over 1 year)

Cool. Thanks for the info, hedless. I'll probably swap out the fluid later this year. Some of the the Speed3 guys have really raved about the FoMo stuff since it's been taking away some of the grinding issues. I'm not having any issues with the P5 though. The previous owner of my P5 had some local shop swap out the fluid 20K miles ago...whatever they used has been working great.

also most discount parts stores that sell gear oil will have one of those hose attachments that work pretty well...it screws onto the bottle of oil itself, and you can twist the neck to start and stop the flow of oil...that makes it much easier to do yourself, and the thing is as cheap as it would be to find a section of hose and a funnel anyway...also the thing i bought had a long nozzle that fit into the fill hole much better and securely than trying to push a piece of hose or tubing in there...it easily wedges on the threading of the fill hole; makes it much less likely that its just spilling on your driveway when you are standing over the engine bay feeding the oil in...

also...the car doesn't have to be level, like some mentioned...it takes 2.9 quarts...the only thing having the car level does is that it will start to spill out of the fill hole a little when you get to 2.9 quarts...so you know its filled just visually...when it is not level (assuming you have the front jacked up and not the rear only...not sure why you would do that anyway ha) the gear box will take MORE than 2.9 quarts before it would start to spill out...so just pay attention to how much you are adding...but jacking the front up makes it much easier to get the hose in into the fill hole, as it brings up the hole closer to perpendicular to the ground...when the car is level, the hose is sort of going up hill into the gear box, and I kept kinking the hose trying to bend it correctly...it makes it much more cumbersome for one person...

Keep in mind that if the car isn't level you probably won't be able to drain all the fluid from the tranny so you'll probably overfill it. I don't think it's the end of the world but it's something you might want to consider.

Question: has anyone tried "Neo" manual tranny fluid? I have RedLine currently, but approaching 30k on it so I think I'll switch to Neo which I've heard good things about.

was there ever a final confirmation that GL4 was the proper api ratting for our oil?

Have a look at the second to last page of the transaxle chapter in the service manual, for oil grade it says: "API Service GL-4 or GL-5"

FYI don't waste money on Castrol Syntec, it made my tranny shift worse than when I had the nasty original fluid still in it. I've been using Pennzoil Synchromesh for over a year and love it, but I can't find it locally anymore (if you do, let me know where).

good to know, the hunt begins. Amazon.com will ship the redline to MTL but it's 65$ for everything for 3 quarts so im going to check some shops tomorow.
I'm tempted to buy some cheap stuff to put in there for a month say and then put the synthetic after that, as a sorta flush but not really a flush cause we aren't support to :p. I suspect the fluid is the factory original and it's now @ 190km. thought that plan might just be retarded,

good to know, the hunt begins. Amazon.com will ship the redline to MTL but it's 65$ for everything for 3 quarts so im going to check some shops tomorow.
I'm tempted to buy some cheap stuff to put in there for a month say and then put the synthetic after that, as a sorta flush but not really a flush cause we aren't support to :p. I suspect the fluid is the factory original and it's now @ 190km. thought that plan might just be retarded,

I don't know if this is close to you but a shop I go to pretty often has a whole bunch of redline products: http://www.perryautolaval.com/ 450-662-6927

I thought I'd give an update. After changing tranny fluid and going with the royal purple, I've put roughly 12k miles on it. No noticeable improvement on mpg. Also just recently I've noticed a slight crunch when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, mostly on the upshift but occasionally when downshifting. The motor and transmission are both original with 266k miles on them so I guess maybe it's just that time. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how long before the tranny took a complete dump? I'm hoping it will last another 6 months because I'm planning on buying a new MSP3 at that time. As always any input will be appreciated.

regarding that FORD love juice part number XT-M5-QS, I've heard that Miata owners and M3 owners love it. However, nobody has mentioned it being use in the protege. Anyone took that opportunity yet?

Lboogs,

Thanks for the site. Wish I would have seen this a yr ago to know that we don't have "yellow metal" parts in our synchros. Would have saved me a lot of search time. Not a single dealer (5) could tell me this! Not even Mazda through MyMazda site could tell this.

Thanks again.

regarding that FORD love juice part number XT-M5-QS, I've heard that Miata owners and M3 owners love it. However, nobody has mentioned it being use in the protege. Anyone took that opportunity yet?

My 3 qts. are still sitting on the shelf waiting to be used. Should be in about 10K more miles :)

^^^^^
keep us posted, I would like to know how are tranny responds to it. I currently have amsoil synthetic in mine, a little over 11k miles and I really don't notice a difference. Truthfully the only change is that 4gear makes a sound now when I shift. NOt a grind, but just a noise when it goes into gear, gonna have to have that looked at soon

Back