manual transmission oil

Lboogs,

Thanks for the site. Wish I would have seen this a yr ago to know that we don't have "yellow metal" parts in our synchros. Would have saved me a lot of search time. Not a single dealer (5) could tell me this! Not even Mazda through MyMazda site could tell this.

Thanks again.

I know what you mean. I even asked a transmission shop to see if they could give me any info about it, but no one was able to help. This site has some good info, doesn't seem to be as active as this one but very informative.

^^^^^
keep us posted, I would like to know how are tranny responds to it. I currently have amsoil synthetic in mine, a little over 11k miles and I really don't notice a difference. Truthfully the only change is that 4gear makes a sound now when I shift. NOt a grind, but just a noise when it goes into gear, gonna have to have that looked at soon

10-4

^^^^^
keep us posted, I would like to know how are tranny responds to it. I currently have amsoil synthetic in mine, a little over 11k miles and I really don't notice a difference. Truthfully the only change is that 4gear makes a sound now when I shift. NOt a grind, but just a noise when it goes into gear, gonna have to have that looked at soon
That sounds similar to what mine is doing, just a different gear. How many miles total do you have on your tranny?

I ended up using Valvoline 80w/90 synth GL-4. Would have prefered Amsoil, but couldn't find any readily. I was warned by one dealer that synth would cause leaks. No leaks. Slight improvement in shifting. Big shifting difference came from changing out rear motor mount and rear shifter bushing. 1st to 2nd is still a little notchy. Some sites suggest Redline shifts hard in cold weather and Royal Purple is too slippery for synchros. Apparently nonsense. Let us know how it works out.

That sounds similar to what mine is doing, just a different gear. How many miles total do you have on your tranny?

I have 101,500 on my tranny now. I just checked my receipt and it states the mileage was 95k+ at the time of the change. to prevent the noise I have to palm the shifter and pull slowly from 3rd to 4th.

Mine doesn't seem to care whether I baby it or not. It'll do it driving easy or hard. I wonder if changing from royal purple to a different fluid will help. Probably not as I think my problem has to do with age and milage more than the fluid I'm running.

Not to "beat a dead whatever", but a bad rear engine mount created a lot of issues for me, including shifter allignment. Worth checking out.

Recently switched to Redline MT-90 from stock, smoother shifts when warmed up but I now have a grind going into 2nd and 3rd when cold. Also a fair bit notchier, though I also switched to bronze-oil bushings at the same time. I think I'll be trying GM syncromesh next, I don't like the grinding and the notchy-ness.

mazda p5 Valvoline 75w90 gear oil, yes or nah..

Hi, guys, im new at this forum... and to mazda.. i recently bought a mazda p5 with a bunch of codes and issues, one of them being the transmision shifting, it takes 2 to 3 secs to chage gear, shiftd on 3 000 rpms to 3500 rpms.... it has 146 k miles and it seems the transmision fluid has never been changed, straight to the point.... theres no redline nor purple royal or mobile one gear oil around here, the only one i could find was a valvoline 75w90 gear oil, anyone can give me a thumbs up, or do i need to order from ebay? .. any help will be greatly appreciated! (nana)

Well sounds like you have an automatic. Gear oil is for manual. You need a trans flush but if it wasn't sone between 75-100k miles then most shops won't do it because all the friction material is in the old fluid and using new fluid will make it slip worse

Just a question...
My newly acquired p5 had a manual transmission fluid change before I got it. Apparently it was royal purple. But that's all I know. My question is is there a specific royal purple product specified for our p5 manual transmission? I am looking at a bottle of royal purple SYNCHROMAX but it didn't specify any weight. Is that OK to use or does it have to be 75w90? I have no idea what he used other than royal purple manual transmission fluid
Thanks
Dave

Last edited:
My car had the recommended 75-W-90 in it when I bought it and in the winter I would grind every gear for the first 15 minutes of driving.

I did some research and found that our transmission had no hypoid gears in it, so we don't need the high pressure additives that are in regular gear oil (that sulfur stink).

You should definitely go with some sort of sychromesh oil,... GM sells one (about $17 a liter) as well as Pensoil and the others you mentioned. The sychromesh stuff is as thin as water so you can shift in all temperatures without worry of damage from grinding or wear in the hot weather (it's modified to protect while being "thin",... with friction additives to help keep those sycro gears spinning,..)

I decided to make my own concoction,... ATF Type-F (as recommended for my old Mazda GLC,... yes the red stuff in a manual tranny) and a liter of Lucas oil,...
I'm lovin it,.. It's been two years and it always shifts as smooth as butter,... even when it's -20 out,... and no leaks anywhere. (I was was worried it might leak at the CV-shaft, but it's been fine.)

My car had the recommended 75-W-90 in it when I bought it and in the winter I would grind every gear for the first 15 minutes of driving.

I did some research and found that our transmission had no hypoid gears in it, so we don't need the high pressure additives that are in regular gear oil (that sulfur stink).

You should definitely go with some sort of sychromesh oil,... GM sells one (about $17 a liter) as well as Pensoil and the others you mentioned. The sychromesh stuff is as thin as water so you can shift in all temperatures without worry of damage from grinding or wear in the hot weather (it's modified to protect while being "thin",... with friction additives to help keep those sycro gears spinning,..)

I decided to make my own concoction,... ATF Type-F (as recommended for my old Mazda GLC,... yes the red stuff in a manual tranny) and a liter of Lucas oil,...
I'm lovin it,.. It's been two years and it always shifts as smooth as butter,... even when it's -20 out,... and no leaks anywhere. (I was was worried it might leak at the CV-shaft, but it's been fine.)

So to summarize the royal purple SYNCHROMAX that is not 75w90 should be fine in our manual transmission? Lol

Back