Manual shift

:
2007 GT FWD, Bose/NAV
So this is what I have noticed about the manual shift. Not a "deal breaker", but annoying. While in manual mode the car will automatically drop gears if the car sits still for long enough. With the stop and go traffic here in D.C. I like to leave it in 2nd, because 1st gives you whiplash starting and stopping for 5 miles. If I tell the tranny to be in 2nd, dammit stay in 2nd.

Obviously I'm just a tard. Enlighten me on what is happening.

I've never tried this myself, but according to the manual in the "Starting and Driving" section, you can set the transaxle into something called "second gear fixed mode". "When the shift lever is tapped back (+), while the vehicle is stopped, the transaxle is set in the second gear fixed mode. The gear is fixed in second while in this mode for easier starting and driving on slippery roads". "If the shift lever is tapped back (+) or forward (-) while in second gear fixed mode, the mode will be cancelled."

I'm not sure if this is what you're needing, but I hope this helps! According to the weather forecast here in Central Illinois, I may get a chance to test this feature if we get all the ice they're saying we're supposed to get in the next few days...

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Yes, you can "upshift" to start in second, smoothing the starts for either comfort or traction.

However, as Lindyrect noted, once you're moving, if you come to a stop again, it will automatically downshift into first; forcing you to re-upshift to second again.

Very annoying!

I am guessing the majority of people using the manual mode aren't using it like a 'manual' transmission. So this was their way of preventing accidents caused by people forgetting to downshift while coming to a stop (as in they stop but are still in 5th gear then can't take off). A true manual mode would have been very nice.

I had a chance to give the "second gear fixed mode" a try today on my way to work, but not sure if my test was really sufficient. Anyway, after backing out of my drive, I went foward in first for a few feet, stopped, and manually shifted up into second. I slowly drove down our street and the transaxle stayed in second gear up to the stop sign at the end of the street. This is only about a distance of 200 yards, so my speed never got above 15mph. I came to a complete stop and it stayed in second gear. I pulled away in second gear, pulled over to the side of the road, and the transaxle was still in second gear. I then put it back into auto and continued on to work. Not sure if it makes any difference, but I have the 2007 FWD version. Maybe it's different for AWDs or the 2008s? I'll have to test this a little more to see if I have the same type of problem that others are having...

I noticed the 2nd gear fixed mode today my mistake. I down shifted o 2nd and sat still in traffic and it auto shifted down to 1st. I tapped it up to 2nd and it stayed there for the rest of the time. Guess I was just getting peeved before and slapping it back in auto. Nice to know now.

I think this is a really great transmission, so smooth and very well calibrated.

In manual mode, is just pure fun, total control, up to redline,
and yes, u can modify it so every time u can start in second rather than in first, so then again, this confirms how great this manual mode is.

Yes, great trans. I love that it learned my driving style and started holding the shift points longer for better acceleration. Ill also never buy another vehicle, especially a larger one like this, without manual shif mode. So handy for traffic and hilly drives. And fun, too.

Yes, great trans. I love that it learned my driving style and started holding the shift points longer for better acceleration. Ill also never buy another vehicle, especially a larger one like this, without manual shif mode. So handy for traffic and hilly drives. And fun, too.

Yeah, Im in love with manumatic transmissions. (cool)

How about the all new murano.... no manual mode!! No matter if car reviewers say that it doesnt need one, I wouldnt like it.

All of these type vehicles should have manual mode. Too bad Nissan has their collective heads up their a**es. The Murano is the nicest thing they have, and they tied it's hands that way.

All of these type vehicles should have manual mode. Too bad Nissan has their collective heads up their a**es. The Murano is the nicest thing they have, and they tied it's hands that way.

U know, as much we like manumatics, murano has been a huge hit, and I see it becoming stronger than ever. People will notice how much better the interior is , all the fancy options and those 265horses and 20inchers.

Back