Manual liftgate height

Does anyone have a creative way to limit the fully open height of the manual lift gate? When the door is opening or closing the lift gate will hit the bracket that connects the garage door with the opener. I've put pipe insulation on the bracket, that may ease the scratching while closing - since the interference will serve to push the lift gate down toward close. I don't want to think what will happen if the door is opening and hits the fully open lift gate, pushing it further than it goes. It's a mistake I'm sure I'll make sometime in the future. Thanks

I'm not sure I understand your question exactly but does this video help at all..?

I see you mention "manual" and the video references a "power" unit if I'm understanding your question correctly...So the above video probably won't help.

Hmmm...I did find part of the manual describing the liftgate here... https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen...ml?kw=liftgate&hw=trunk lid liftgate boot lid

Perhaps there is an accessory that can do what you need...Hopefully others can chime in here to help!

Thanks, Yes, I looked at the videos. You're right - the videos are for the power option that I don't have. I'm thinking about a "mickey mouse" fix like a barrier fixed to the garage ceiling that prevents the liftgate from opening too wide and does not interfere with the garage door. Probably should have bought the power liftgate but it was tied to too many other options I didn't want. Maybe there is something that fits on the lifting cannisters that block a full opening. Let's think out of the box !

Can you take a video of what's happening, showing where the liftgate hits and what it's hitting? It'll give us a better idea of what's possible.

Not sure this is even possible or helpful but could you attach a small but strong tie down strap (or two, one to each side), one end secured somewhere inside and the other end to the liftgate so that the liftgate is prevented from fully opening?

You could replace the struts by shorter one, but finding the right Strut strength won’t be easy.
you could also put a rubber stop at the top where the top of the tailgate kind of goes in below the roof when it opens. But that could end up scratching the paint or bending the metal there instead.
Changing the location of the mounting post of the struts would do as well.

but honestly it may be easier to modify your garage door instead.

I'm thinking a walmart pool noodle cut in half and attached to the ceiling using 3M Command hook-and-loop strips would work, but I can't be sure until I see what's being hit by the trunk.

Thanks for all the suggestions: Here's 2 pictures of my issue: The bracket to the garage door opener extends 7 inches down from the garage door. So I need 7+ inches of clearance for the garage door to open or close with the liftgate open. The open liftgate is only 2.5 inches from the garage door when open. The easy answer is "Don't operate the garage door with the lift gate open" But sooner or later, a mistake will happen. I'm thinking about the string approach but I've got to find something to fasten to.

Stay Safe.

Attachments

• InkedMazda lift gate 1 copy_LI.jpg
    InkedMazda lift gate 1 copy_LI.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 271
  • InkedMazda lift gate 2_LI.jpg
    InkedMazda lift gate 2_LI.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 289
Ahh I see now.

I'm not a garage door installer, I've only helped install one garage door opener ever, but is it possible to unbolt and "flip" the part wrapped in insulation? So that instead of an "L", it looks like a "7"? That would give you more clearance, but I don't know if it would affect the operation of the garage door. I suppose you could also replace the "L" with a straight piece, but then you'd have to source that piece from somewhere else. Maybe call the garage door manufacturer to be sure before attempting, lol.

I have to be sure to pull far enough into the garage before I close the door.
Your car looks like a fairly tight fit.

Kudos to you for spotting the issue before it happens. Backing into your garage would probably prevent it too.

I think that L may be required for the arm to clear the top of the door when it is horizontal. ( the track is above the door and the arm has to reach under it). Maybe sone bracket are designed to pull the door from the top, But like sm1ke says a garage place may be able to help with that.

Latest posts

Back