Man I hate driving my CX-5

Sure, I will in a month or so when it gets down there again. But, I'll guarantee it's not a 10 sec 0-60 vehicle in the cold. You should have yours checked.

Post your video, and then I'll "have mine checked". What should they check, exactly? Nothing is wrong with it to check.

Well, the obvious would be something with your turbo. :)

Nothing is wrong with the turbo. It runs just fine above 20*F, and this is a problem which everyone who has a 2.5T from Mazda who has actually put one on a clock has. Including one of the techs at the dealership on his personal CX9. It's just a Mazda tune quirk. SavageGeese says they know about it, I believe, but didn't elaborate.

Nothing is wrong with the turbo. It runs just fine above 20*F, and this is a problem which everyone who has a 2.5T from Mazda who has actually put one on a clock has. Including one of the techs at the dealership on his personal CX9. It's just a Mazda tune quirk. SavageGeese says they know about it, I believe, but didn't elaborate.

So, you think all CX-9's have this too? Why hasn't there been a huge outcry then? A lot of people who own CX-9's and CX-5's with the turbo live in cold climates. They even introduced the CX-5 Sig in Canada when it was snowing. I didn't see/hear of anyone complaining of it then. I think SG may have experienced something, but I don't remember him claiming it happened 100% during his test drive. There may be some environmental issue going on, but it is not as widespread as you are making it out to be.

So, you think all CX-9's have this too? Why hasn't there been a huge outcry then? A lot of people who own CX-9's and CX-5's with the turbo live in cold climates. They even introduced the CX-5 Sig in Canada when it was snowing. I didn't see/hear of anyone complaining of it then. I think SG may have experienced something, but I don't remember him claiming it happened 100% during his test drive. There may be some environmental issue going on, but it is not as widespread as you are making it out to be.

Post your video, then we can we-address it.

Also keep in mind that you think yours is 100% good to go, so when you post your video, if you see 9-10+ second 0-60's, then you'll understand why there has been no huge outcry.

Lol, here I am put-putting along in my 13 2 liter. Its a perfect commuter, and it handles curvy hilly roads very nicely. Will it shoot up these tall hills in Northern Alabama? Nope. But it handles confidently and gets 32 mpg to and from work :D

Again, not all of us experience this. We've driven ours in below 0 temps and it still performs as expected.

Or you just don't notice it, which is what I'm betting. Get out your stopwatch and you'll be shocked. Go ahead and try it and see what's up.

Asking a favour.. if you guys have video footage or if you've timed your runs, please post your results here as well:
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123869804-Post-your-0-60-times

well that's the thing, if you haven't or didn't drive the turbo, you won't miss it..;)

MPG is subjective to how you drive, how the terrain is, and how bad the traffic is. I am averaging 23.5 after 4000 miles on my 2019 Signature. On highways, in LA traffic, I get 23-25. I think I will get better on freeways in other cities with less traffic, and more flat terrains.

MPG is subjective to how you drive, how the terrain is, and how bad the traffic is. I am averaging 23.5 after 4000 miles on my 2019 Signature. On highways, in LA traffic, I get 23-25. I think I will get better on freeways in other cities with less traffic, and more flat terrains.

True, but I think Mazda understated the mpg a little bit. On a trip to OBanks, NC, about 340 miles one way I was getting 31.7 with a loaded to the gills car, 2 adults and a dog. It was highway driving, mostly flat but had it's share of stop lights which I caught about half. Vehicle had 1800 miles at the start so hopefully I will be able to squeeze a little more out once it fully breaks in.

My Reserve mileage is about the same as yours. I'm retired and live in the country with darned few stop signs and a couple of traffic lights, with nearly zero Stop & Go. I've posted before that my bank is 16 very fun-to-drive rural miles away, and there are only 2 stop signs between home and the teller's window.

I'm 8 miles away from one shopping area and go 45MPH for 2 miles and 55MPH (posted) the other 6.
I'm 10 miles from the other shopping area and the first few miles are winding & hilly, but the last 2/3 of the trip is uninterrupted 55MPH (posted).
My other driving is on different 45MPH terrain with all hills & curves.
There is no traffic to speak of here. If there is, I'm doing a steady 45MPH behind a local rather than a steady 55MPH.

When I go on the 70MPH interstate and have the Fuel Economy Monitor on, my mileage is generally around 22MPG with Cruise Control on (recently took a 100 mile round trip). I'm NOT getting better mileage at that highway speed. Again, this is with no traffic. It's like the old days where the 4 barrel opens at 55MPH and your wallet really opens at 70MPH.

I'm a little frustrated when I read of folks getting near 30MPG, but I haven't traded my Reserve in for a Corolla yet ;)

True, but I think Mazda understated the mpg a little bit. On a trip to OBanks, NC, about 340 miles one way I was getting 31.7 with a loaded to the gills car, 2 adults and a dog. It was highway driving, mostly flat but had it's share of stop lights which I caught about half. Vehicle had 1800 miles at the start so hopefully I will be able to squeeze a little more out once it fully breaks in.

This is the stuff I don't understand. I go on a 50 mile trip at highway speeds all by myself in an otherwise empty vehicle on relatively flat terrain with cruise control on and no traffic early on a Saturday morning, and I get 10MPG less than this.

Car and Driver has a long term 2.5T CX-5 in their fleet and their observed MPG is 23mpg. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a27255337/2019-mazda-cx-5-reliability-maintenance/

You know, I get the whole "depends on the terrain and the conditions" thing, but when I'm in an area where 45MPH is the minimum speed, my shortest trip is 8 miles, and there is zero traffic and darned few stop signs, I would think I'd hit the top end of the mileage and range. I guess I'm wrong, huh? ;)

Is there really that much variance in manufacturing & assembly?

Everyone is different, everyone's needs are different.

I personally don't need the turbo on the CX-5. I'm not a race car driver, I don't take my car onto the track. I need a reliable, good powered, well drivable, good gas milleage car. Unlike many here, I actually feel the default engine on the 2017+ CX-5 is powerful enough. Especially compared to previous vehicles I've owned, this one has the most horsepower and torque I've ever owned. Therefore, it is all relative, and our history of cars we drive does influence the need or desire for more horsepower and torque. I'm thoroughly impressed by the naturally aspirated engine and its power from a start. I have plenty of take-off power and plenty of power on the freeway. /shrug

Three negatives that swayed me away from a turbo on my new 2019 I just bought is that it is more expensive to buy the car, second, the gas mileage is technically better on the natural aspirated, third long term maintenance could be more expensive and require it more frequently with a turbo. I'm sure it's reliable, but ultimately it could be more costly for owning a car long-term. There are more parts that can wear out, or fail, and thus cost more money, plus the natural progression of having that much compression and pressure on the engine long term, it could potentially mean more maintenance.

For those that chose that, that's great, and all that matters is that you are happy.

I just wanted to make this post to propose an alternate view about needing or wanting a Turbo on the CX-5. For me, I'm happier without the Turbo for those three reasons above.

If you really want to talk about an anemic car, drive the new Forester. I test drove it the other day for comparison, and it is completely underpowered, to the extreme. I floored it and barely anything happened. That poor 2.5i boxer they have in there is just hilariously underpowered. That car needs the turbo, the fact they removed the XT turbo engine in the 2019 model was a stupid, stupid, decision. Comparing the power of that car, to my CX-5 is night and day. So there is certainly worse out there that does NEED a turbo.

Hope everyone has a great day

Last edited:
I just did a 199.8 mile round trip to Blowing Rock, NC and show an average of 29.1 MPG.

I just did a 199.8 mile round trip to Blowing Rock, NC and show an average of 29.1 MPG.

Off Topic: I'm heading to Boone, NC at the end of October. I use to live there, graduated from Watauga High School in Boone.

Off Topic: I'm heading to Boone, NC at the end of October. I use to live there, graduated from Watauga High School in Boone.

I think about everybody that graduated from ASU would like to live there if they could.
When I left Blowing Rock I wanted to head down the mountain on Globe Rd and enjoy a back road but didn*t have time and of course used 321.

This is the stuff I don't understand. I go on a 50 mile trip at highway speeds all by myself in an otherwise empty vehicle on relatively flat terrain with cruise control on and no traffic early on a Saturday morning, and I get 10MPG less than this.

Make sure you reset one of the trip odometers before you start then check the mpg for that one at the end of the trip.

Back