2017~2024 CX-5 Malfunction Warnings

I have a 2018 Mazda CX-5 touring model and it has the "front camera sensor system malfunction" error on. Less than 100 miles.

I have a 2018 Mazda CX-5 touring model and it has the "front camera sensor system malfunction" error on. Less than 100 miles.

You could get that warning before leaving the dealer under the right conditions, so what’s your point. Have you joined the forum to ask us about it or tell us about it?

OK, after my promised trawl, I found the only TSB there is on the subject and not to call you out, it isn't related to a heat failure, it is due to the system being too sensitive to strong sunlight - it effectively gets dazzled and shuts some systems down temporarily to prevent the risk of malfunction. The mechanism is described on the last pages. It does effect early US KFs (2017 models). It also explains why the system resets itself when it can see again. See attached. The last vehicle built with the early camera was on the 26th April this year so it doesn't effect later models.

Thanks for posting that! (flash)
Mine is affected, so if it happens, I'll have a clue. (hump)

Well, I am just going to revive this thread due to mine started showing up for the front camera sensor system malfunction just at 1650 km while sitting on the traffic at the highway. It is not even sunny, however it was cloudy and temperature of -15c outside. I did turn off the car for 2 minutes hoping it would reset but still shows up. For some reason though, the traffic sign detector, the cruise control works and lane keep control. Pretty much what this camera should do but I wonder why the warning started showing up. Thinking could be moist from inside the cabin since I don't have the window down and the vent are usually closed at all times so its gets foggy inside.

Now I will wait until the end of the day, after work, to see if it goes away when it gets a little bit warmer later on. Leaving it under the sun to see if perhaps the moist is the culprit.

Last edited:
What exactly is the message?

Front Camera Sensor System Malfunction

IMG_20180206_080835.jpg

I had that same error with the front camera - I had hoped for a "My vision is impaired. I can not see!" audio warning. In any case, it resolved itself after sitting in the sun for an afternoon. Someone had mentioned that it may have been fixed itself by using the AC to reduce humidity.

IskiE

I had the same warning early on as well. A good cleaning of the windshield and the logo up front solved it. Even small amounts of dirt or buildup affect these cameras and sensors.

I use Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer to wipe the logo and the rear camera. The hydrophobic characteristics of this product also reduce rain drops as well as keeping any dirt/dust off.

Well, I am just going to revive this thread due to mine started showing up for the front camera sensor system malfunction just at 1650 km while sitting on the traffic at the highway. It is not even sunny, however it was cloudy and temperature of -15c outside. I did turn off the car for 2 minutes hoping it would reset but still shows up. For some reason though, the traffic sign detector, the cruise control works and lane keep control. Pretty much what this camera should do but I wonder why the warning started showing up. Thinking could be moist from inside the cabin since I don't have the window down and the vent are usually closed at all times so its gets foggy inside.

Now I will wait until the end of the day, after work, to see if it goes away when it gets a little bit warmer later on. Leaving it under the sun to see if perhaps the moist is the culprit.

I guess it begs the question... why are your vents closed all the time such that it gets foggy inside? What purpose does that serve other than obscuring your vision? Is your commute so short that the car never warms up?

The CX5 uses less gas to run the AC than drive with a window down if you're thinking not running AC = more money in your pocket.

I guess it begs the question... why are your vents closed all the time such that it gets foggy inside? What purpose does that serve other than obscuring your vision? Is your commute so short that the car never warms up?

The CX5 uses less gas to run the AC than drive with a window down if you're thinking not running AC = more money in your pocket.

And running the AC happens automatically in defog mode and is made to remove moisture from the air in the winter when the air can not hold as much and condensation easily occurs.

Just put the fan on low, and leave the car setting on defrost/defog and there should be no moisture issues.

Reason being why my vents are closed always is the smell of the exhaust from other cars especially the big noisy muffler cars stinks and my wife can't stand it since she is on her first trimester. It is not to save on gas, heck, my AC is always on to help lessen the moist but still builds up once in a while then I would let the vent open for a few minutes to clear up then back to close.

Reason being why my vents are closed always is the smell of the exhaust from other cars especially the big noisy muffler cars stinks and my wife can't stand it since she is on her first trimester. It is not to save on gas, heck, my AC is always on to help lessen the moist but still builds up once in a while then I would let the vent open for a few minutes to clear up then back to close.

Switch the A/C to recirculate.

+1 on keeping out the stink.
But if your AC is working properly, it should dehumidify the air even if you're always recirculating.

Root Cause Analysis = Those folks with big noisy muffler polluting cars need to get clean skyactiv engines !!:)

gotcha. but pretty sure when you set the system to just defrost (front) you can't use recirculating air, regardless if the AC is on.

gotcha. but pretty sure when you set the system to just defrost (front) you can't use recirculating air, regardless if the AC is on.

Yes, that is true, whenever I have the front defroster which is when it starts getting foggy, the vent will switch open, letting the air from the outside even if I tried to close the vent, it will turn off the front defroster.

I don't know if the temperature control makes the A/C blow weaker cold air since I have my temperature set to 20c.

I think so too. There is an airgap between the windshield and the camera lens that will allow condensation to form on the lens even if the windshield appears clear. It will not work or at least it will advise you that it may not work until it clears. Mine does it but it clears after a while and all settles down.

Back