Lowering the CX-9

Bradford

I think the cx9 looks awesome but,lowering it about 1-1 1/2 inches front and about 2 in the rear would be a cool look. What do you folks think????( G/T AWD).........First post, so be easy on me.

It might look really good. I had lowered my Audi Allroad a bit, but that was easy to do-hook up a laptop to a Vagcom and adjust to your desire. Increased the handling and reduced the wheel well gap. Downside-it made the ride just a bit rougher.

Don't want a firmer ride, I'll get custom wound springs at less rate than stock.A shortened stock rate spring would be very frim becouse of less coils....I think.

I've seen one lowered before with 19 inch rims (I think)...it looked cool but ur gonna give up some comfort.

I own 2 lowered cars, a VW Passat and a Z28. The correct way to lower is to purchase new springs (i.e. Eibach, H&R). They are available in numerous configurations like amt of drop and stiffness. When lowering, it's advisable to change the shocks/struts as you would need units that are correctly valved for the reduced suspension travel. If you don't the shocks will wear out prematurely.
Now, the most important thing to consider when lowering is tire wear. The negative camber associated w/ the reduction of ride height will have your tires wear on the inside. I deal w/ this on my 2 lowered cars but will not on my CX-9 (given the rplcmnt cost of 22' tires).

However, I am intrigued as to how the CX9 will handle once lowered!!!

Hope this helps.

eibach lets you order what you need. you can get shorter springs that dont have to be stiffer. although its smart to stiffin it up when you lower it unless you like bottoming it out on the bump stops all the time.

(iagree)

Lowering a CX-9??!!?!!??(omg)

Come on, it's not life it's off-road capable anyway...

I was looking at the car yesterday and was thinking it would look so dang sick with 2.5" drop. Problem is, I doubt there'll ever be suspension available for CX-9 in order to do that. Which car does CX-9 share chassis with?

Come on, it's not life it's off-road capable anyway...

I was looking at the car yesterday and was thinking it would look so dang sick with 2.5" drop. Problem is, I doubt there'll ever be suspension available for CX-9 in order to do that. Which car does CX-9 share chassis with?

It shares chassis with Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX, but suspension tuning is completely different and its 100% Mazda.

leave it alone. If you want a lower vehicle, buy something different.

Lowering or most mods on the newest cars have the potential of screwing up the safety and control systems.

this is like lowering a Jeep. Totally defeats the purpose, and ruins the car.

Yeah, becasue the CX9 is obviously such an off-road beast. Just what purpose is being defeated? Last time I made a run to daycare to pick up my little buddy I didn't need to ford a stream nor was I charged by a water buffalo.

Sarcasm aside, I intened to lower mine as well. Nothing wrong with bringing the center of gravity down a bit. And if it's done right you can retain a great ride and get better handling and looks, if you like the look.

If folks like the stock look, then awesome. I'm of the camp that thinks the CX9 would look great with a lower, more agressive stance.

Oh, and a super charger. (gotta cut me some slack, I'm coming over from a tweaked Legacy GT.)

-Ian

Agree totally with the lowering look.
If there is a good spring set available, I would be interested.

Count me in on the lowered look. Just a touch. I remember last year seeing at a sports car race up at Laguna Seca a very tasty CX9 I think. It was lowered just a touch, to fill up the wheel wells. Also, had wider tires and wheels. Looked great. Wishing now I to some shots of it. Dang!
Cheers
Steve

Is there an adjustable suspension kit for the CX-9 ? I would like to control the height just like the Audi Allroad. Low for highway use and extra high for bad roads.....

www.pedders.com.au have lowered springs for the CX-9. A quick check of the www.peddersusa.com e-catalogue confirms you also have this in the US. Worth a phone call I reckon.

I think the CX-9 would look great lowered! If done properly, on-road handling would be greatly improved. Particularly the dreaded front wheel drive body-roll and understeer when pushed a little through a corner. (Yes I know it's an AWD... but it's still a FWD first, AWD second).

Although I haave to agree, the best bang for your buck will be a decent set of performance tyres.

Cheers,
TTubrag.

I hate the whole lowered SUVs are retarded statement.

Anything with large wheels would look instantly better with less wheel gap. I'm not suggesting slammed. I'm saying 1.5-2 inches max to get rid of wheel gap with a nice set of 20-22" rims and you'll have a good looking whip!

Back