Loving the Goodyear Gatorback belts

I stripped the exact same thing a few years ago...

I just used a set of 'easy outs' I bought at sears, which are almost a must to own if you work on a car more than a year old...

they are about $20 for 5 different sizes, and pretty much couldn't be easier for situations like this...you'll probably get it off by other means, but with those easy out things its like just using a socket...which is basically what it is; a socket with swirled teeth inside that 'bite' into the stripped nut...

they've saved me at least 50 times in the past few years...

yeah i have seem those sockets before, but been the stripped nut is in that tight spot no socket will fit in there. So i hope the vise grip works

I think the issue with UDPs and gatorback noise is due to aluminum instead of steel. I have Unorthodox Racing UDP and Medieval lightened aluminum wp, ps & alt pulleys. Never could get the gatorbacks to shut up. Went back with fresh Gates MicroVs and haven't had any issues since.

Remember you don't want them too tight. They will cause premature wear on the accessory bearings.

Oooohh I HATE that Nut. Just pull the other bolts holding the PSP on and take the whole thing out, no need to bust your knuckles in that tight spot.

I had the same problems you are having. I destroyed the nut getting it out. picked up a new nut at Advance Auto. Using gates right now , but I still fight squeaks; I just tightened it a little more and all is well.....for now.

Remember you don't want them too tight. They will cause premature wear on the accessory bearings.
Which is why I gave up on them. They were plenty tight to be silent, no alignment issues either. Put the Gates on it and haven't heard a peep.........

I jus picked a pair up. Got them cheap on rock auto, one was $5 the other $6. Just wondering what the part number was u guys got. Mine are 4050457 and 4040360. On the back it doesn't mention the 2.0 so I'm just curious if rock auto sent me the right parts.

^^^Those part numbers sound right for oem crank pulley. They are longer for bigger pulley. The 4 = 4 rib pulley and the 5 = 5 rib, the last 3 numbers of the part number are the belt length in centimeters. 4040355 and 4050445 are the udp gatorback belt numbers I have & the Gates Micro-V for udp are k040355 and k050446. Unorthodox UDP that is.............

Last edited:
I am fighting squeal. I just bought the car this week. If you grab the belt, you get black gummy stuff on your hand. I'm thinking it's been band aided with belt dressing. I bought a set of gates green backs. I'm planning on taking them off and really brake cleaning those pulleys off! Then, install the new clean belts. That alternator belt looks like a bugger to get to the tensioner.

I am fighting squeal. I just bought the car this week. If you grab the belt, you get black gummy stuff on your hand. I'm thinking it's been band aided with belt dressing. I bought a set of gates green backs. I'm planning on taking them off and really brake cleaning those pulleys off! Then, install the new clean belts. That alternator belt looks like a bugger to get to the tensioner.

It's not that bad, the easiest way to get at it is to remove the cruise control actuator (2 10mm nuts) to access the tensioner, and don't forget to loosen the lock bolt before working the tensioner (it's easiest to do that from under the car).

I just changed the brand new vents that the PO installed. They were gummy from belt dressing. I worked 30 minutes just to clean the pulleys. I put brand new gates greens on and it was awesome. 30 miles later and a few cold restarts, they are screaming again. Maybe worse that before. It's not tension, they are not loose. But not killer tight. I've been working on cars for 20 years on my own and never had a picky car about belts! This is really aggravating.

I just changed the brand new vents that the PO installed. They were gummy from belt dressing. I worked 30 minutes just to clean the pulleys. I put brand new gates greens on and it was awesome. 30 miles later and a few cold restarts, they are screaming again. Maybe worse that before. It's not tension, they are not loose. But not killer tight. I've been working on cars for 20 years on my own and never had a picky car about belts! This is really aggravating.

Looking down at the belt press down on it with your thumb (right between the water pump pulley and the alternator pulley), if the deflection is more than a centimeter then it needs to be tightened. The service manual says to use 10Kg of force which is roughly the amount you can comfortably apply with your thumb, but you can always use a spring scale if you want to be fancy.

If you're absolutely certain that the pulleys are clean and the tension is correct then your alternator might be on its way out. It's not uncommon for the alternator to seize-up on these cars, so you might want to make sure the rotor spins freely with the belt off...

Back