Loving the Goodyear Gatorback belts

slavrenz

:
2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0
I installed new serpentine belts from Gates on my car a few months ago, and ever since then I've been having to constantly adjust them because they made lots of noise - everything from squeals to moans (that's what she said ;))

I finally bit the bullet and ordered some Goodyear Gatorback belts from RockAuto.com, and what a difference! When I first started the car up, I was worried that I could hear a ticking sound. Well, it turns out that I was just hearing the ticking from my fuel injectors that I could never before hear over the noise of the previous belts.

These belts are incredibly quiet, and I highly recommend them. (mj)

I need to do this. I get some wicked squeal going sometimes. Got a writeup for replacing the stupid thing?

I need to do this. I get some wicked squeal going sometimes. Got a writeup for replacing the stupid thing?

The belt tensioners are on the alternator and the power steering pump, loosen them, remove the belts, replace, and re-tighten. Have a look at the service manual (section 01-10B) for the location of the lock bolts and the adjustment bolts, the diagrams are good.

I'd recommend you un-bolt your cruise control actuator (2 10mm nuts and a connector) for easier access to the alternator and remove the first part of the air intake (2 10mm nuts) for easier access to the power steering pump.

I had the complete opposite experience. I bought the Gatorbacks when I installed my UDP, and I could never get them right. It was constant adjustment until they finally glazed, and I replaced them with Gates. Not a single issue since then!

I'm using whatever Mazda sells, I set them once and have yet to re-adjust them. They charged a fair price too, $18 for one and $11 for the other.

I had the complete opposite experience. I bought the Gatorbacks when I installed my UDP, and I could never get them right. It was constant adjustment until they finally glazed, and I replaced them with Gates. Not a single issue since then!

Interesting...

The belt tensioners are on the alternator and the power steering pump, loosen them, remove the belts, replace, and re-tighten. Have a look at the service manual (section 01-10B) for the location of the lock bolts and the adjustment bolts, the diagrams are good.

I'd recommend you un-bolt your cruise control actuator (2 10mm nuts and a connector) for easier access to the alternator and remove the first part of the air intake (2 10mm nuts) for easier access to the power steering pump.

^What he said - it's pretty easy. All of the nuts on the P/S-A/C belt are 14mm - I had to use a wrench on the adjusting bolt and the locknut because of clearance, but no biggie. For the alternator-water pump belt, the locknut and adjusting bolt are 12mm, and the pivot bolt on the bottom of the alternator is 14mm.

It was definitely much easier to unbolt the cruise control and move it out of the way for easy access with a socket.

I found that even with the CC and strut brace removed, it was easier to quickly jack up one side and get under the car to get the alternator pivot bolt loose.

=)

Those belts really do help though. I was getting belt slip from the oem ones.

Give it a twist. Make sure it doesn't twist more than a quarter turn.

I think he's talking about wear though, not tension. That wear gauge is supposed to measure how deep the grooves in the belt are - past a certain depth, the belt is considered "worn out".

I just attempted to replace my belts, and i STRIPPED the power steering lock down bolt. It's the one thats behind the pulleys. Anyone have any tips on removing it??

the bolt head DSCN0946.JPG

That sucks, but never fear you'll get it out :)

First things first, coat that thing in penetrating oil (something like PB blaster). Then wait. Coat it again, and wait some more. In between try tapping the head of the bolt with a hammer to loosen up the threads.

Now, using a bolt extractor or a pair of big vice grips get that sucker off! When applying torque to the bolt don't make it a linear motion, it's better to use a series of quick jerks (like an impact wrench).

Back