Love my new CX5 Reserve but miss my 3

CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
V
2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring
I thought that I will, but since I have lowered it on CS springs and rear CS sway bar, this ride is much better than my ex 08' VW Rabbit.

V
2019 CX-5 Signature (previously 2016 CX-5 GT)
I've had 3 vehicles since, and loved all of them for different reasons, but I still miss both of my Miatas (2001 & 2006). So much fun to drive, although at times impractical for a primary vehicle, in particular with the absolutely terrible South FL drivers and concern about protection during the likely unavoidable eventual accident.

CTt3P5

New Family Truckster
Contributor
V
2008 MX5 SE 33Y/2016.5 CX-5 GT 42M/2010 3i T 38L/2008 3s GT 34N
I miss my Protege5 at times but then I put the top down on my Miata and all is good. :) The P5 was my first Mazda and fun to drive. I do miss the practicality of the hatch over the Miata from time to time but I have an SUV and two Mazda3's available for when I need to haul larger items.

I've had 3 vehicles since, and loved all of them for different reasons, but I still miss both of my Miatas (2001 & 2006). So much fun to drive, although at times impractical for a primary vehicle, in particular with the absolutely terrible South FL drivers and concern about protection during the likely unavoidable eventual accident.
That is why I would not trade my Miata (ND). I brought it in CarMax a few times with the intention of letting her go but couldn't do it. I have had a few S2000 (twice) & 350z but its something special about the Miata.

V
2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed
That's why I have two Mazdas - one with manual trans and one with auto trans.
Insurance is lower for each, compared to the cost of insurance for only one, due to the lower odometer numbers.
When I go somewhere that will involve high traffic conditions, I take the 3. Fun, curvy roads? - the MX5

Avoidin Deer

Central Virginia
Contributor
V
2019 CX-5 Reserve
I miss my last car (1990 Volvo 740 commuter beater) because it was stick shift. I learned to drive in a 3-on-the-tree.

It's hard to find a car with a manual tranny these days. Automatic was fine when I commuted in stop & go traffic, but here in the sticks I loved the constant shifting...you're just more engaged.

V
CX5 GT-R
That is why I would not trade my Miata (ND). I brought it in CarMax a few times with the intention of letting her go but couldn't do it. I have had a few S2000 (twice) & 350z but its something special about the Miata.
I've never owned an S2K, but have ridden in one driven by a guy who could DRIVE! and man, I really appreciate that car. It's always been a "If I had stoopid money, I'd pick one up for the hell of it..." type item.

I've never owned an S2K, but have ridden in one driven by a guy who could DRIVE! and man, I really appreciate that car. It's always been a "If I had stoopid money, I'd pick one up for the hell of it..." type item.
I hear you. Prior to owning the first one, I went to check a few used S2000. The guy was an amateur racer, and boy he drove the S2000 like I have never seen before.

V
2019 CX-5 Signature (previously 2016 CX-5 GT)
Agreed, and oh how I wish I had that option. Jealous LOL. Just not practical to have 3 cars for two people and space for keeping it is also an issue. The current Anniversary Edition got me seriously drooling....

V
2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed
stupid money - for an S2000?

I recently rented a 2019 McLaren 570S Spyder (Power-retracting targa top) for a day. If you buy one, it'll set you back $230,000. Now that's "STOOPID" money for me. (eekdance)

Attachments

V
'17 CX-5 GT, '17 Fusion Platinum, '17 Pacifica Limited
I also came from driving a sporty manual car (Focus ST) and yes, I really do miss the manual. I also miss the (comparatively) precise handling, where on familiar twisty roads I felt like I could nail my desired line to within an inch. And the firm, direct brakes. But I don't miss the wind and road noise and spartan seat which made long highway drives a bear, or the constant clutching & shifting in traffic jams during every commute. And it's nice that I can swap cars with my wife when I need to, since she gave up on trying to learn a manual a long time ago. But I'm already plotting a return to compact sporty cars as soon as my kids outgrow car seats.

V
CX-5 2016.5
My first Mazda was the 2nd gen M6 manual - miss her a lot. Only got the CX5 because I needed a WAGON (transporting sporting gear).

Also, my g/f has the 2nd gen M3 2L auto... and honestly - whenever I get to drive her - it's a pure joy despite 2L and auto. In comparaison to CX5 - M3 is sooo light, nimble and drives as if on rails. I even considered trading in my CX5 for the M3 Speed, but it really lacks in terms of trunk space and having no sunroof is a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned.

And I'm slowly looking for something wagon-ish with a stick. Not much out there if you want something reliable and serviceable (in North America).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Latest resources