Lots of white smoke at Idle on MS3- with pic

MS3TR

I have seen this one other time and did some research but the problem went away. It returned last night and let the car cool down for a few minutes. I came back outside to shut it off and saw lots of white smoke coming from the exhaust.
I saw one thread previously where a few MS6 guys had the exact problem and found oil in the intercooler outlet and inlet openings when they took it off. This is caused by a bad seal on the turbo. They said with a FMIT you probably wouldn't be seeing this. Anyways, if anyone can lend any thoughts or ideas to what is going on, it would help me out a lot. (help) Its at the dealership now.

0514070747.jpg

Last edited:
yeah looks like some sort of gasket is either gone or something wasn't tq'd down correctly and oil is getting burned

White smoke would imply water.
Blue is Oil
Black is fuel

Now do you see this all the time at idle or when you first start the car?

maybe you drive it to the mall and 2 hrs later you see it puff the "white smoke"
We need more info on when the "white" smoke occurs. You do realize that condensation builds up easily in the exhaust and that IMo the "smoke" you see is nothing more than that.

If it was a blown HG or a serious water leak it would be white smoke all the time and worse under accelleration.
If you were burning oil it would blue.
if you get blue puff when you first start your car (a nice Big blue puff) its probably valve stem seals.
if you get a steady stream of blue smoke, rings are shot.
we already know the ms3 loves a black tail pipe.

As for the comments in the MS6 thread about oil in the IC. its not uncommon. IMO those guys have no clue, just a bunch of WAG's (wild ass guesses)

drive your car and stop worrying about it. s*** i'm chiper as could be and my MS3 damn near drop the motor out of it :D

Looks like more than condensation burn off and depending on the temperature outside when it happens it may not be normal at all.
Kind of looks like the tail end of a Seafoam treatment.

Well the I callled to see what the dealership came up with. They say its b/c I have no 2nd cat (turboxs race pipe) and its from the exhaust not burning up in the catalytic.... ok so why have I had this on for months and only seen this twice??
Oh and its at idle, regardless of how long I have driven it. As long as it has warmed up. It does not do this under load.

Does the car run fine? have you noticed any oil consumption? Water/coolant consumption? Is there anything else besides the smoke? oil/coolant differnt colors? If no to any of these question then guess what. your worringy for nothing like the rest fo them. just drive the car and enjoy.

If not i wouldn't sweat it. it might give you an ulser..............:D

I still Vote condensation. I have seen cars still get condesation in the exhaust. My 3 cents.

justa4banger said:
Does the car run fine? have you noticed any oil consumption? Water/coolant consumption? Is there anything else besides the smoke? oil/coolant differnt colors? If no to any of these question then guess what. your worringy for nothing like the rest fo them. just drive the car and enjoy.

If not i wouldn't sweat it. it might give you an ulser..............:D

I still Vote condensation. I have seen cars still get condesation in the exhaust. My 3 cents.

Everything is cool minus the white smokescreen but maybe it will just stop doing it like before. If it did it all the time, like under acceleration I would be worried but this is more of a inconvenience than anything. I guess if it doesn't stop I"ll just slap the stock cat back on and see if that cures it.

MS3TR said:
I have seen this one other time and did some research but the problem went away. It returned last night and let the car cool down for a few minutes. I came back outside to shut it off and saw lots of white smoke coming from the exhaust.
I saw one thread previously where a few MS6 guys had the exact problem and found oil in the intercooler outlet and inlet openings when they took it off. This is caused by a bad seal on the turbo. They said with a FMIT you probably wouldn't be seeing this. Anyways, if anyone can lend any thoughts or ideas to what is going on, it would help me out a lot. (help) Its at the dealership now.

0514070747.jpg

Does this only happen right after you wash your car? I had to ask.... (mj)

condensation if it's cold out

could be oil if you were driving hard and taking high speed turns and don't have a catch can (happens on RX-7's don't know in this case)

neit_jnf said:
condensation if it's cold out

could be oil if you were driving hard and taking high speed turns and don't have a catch can (happens on RX-7's don't know in this case)

its been nowhere near cold here lately (high 70's to upper 80's). I put the stock Cat back on and problem is solved. I guess the test pipe was building up condensation after all. What a pain, oh well, guess I"ll wait on the MS catback.

Back