Looking to buy a rx-7

.mazda.speed.

:
Mazdaspeed Protege!
Ok so I used to have a pretty heavily modified mazdaspeed protege. Didn't like the fwd so I sold that and bought a Nissan 240sx. Built an sr20, ran it for a few seasons. Had it tuned to about 330whp on pump gas. Car was great but I found it was lacking torque and power.

I sold the nissan and am now looking for a new car.

I LOVE the third gen rx-7 (fd) however I am very skeptical about the rotary. I was toying around with the idea of a v8 swap in the rx-7.

Do you guys think that is worth it?

The car is going to be a track/weekend car. I am looking for just over 400whp. Money isn't really an issue I am looking to spend about 15-18k, but I want the car to be reliable and want to be able to beat on the car.

Im just not sure if an rx-7 is for me or if I should stick to a 240sx and go rb-25 or sway an ls in that.

Any insight is appreciated, Im just trying to build my dream car.

Last edited:
do you research before you buy, do a simple compression test on the motor. look up "reliability mods"

They're great cars once you take care of the above the reliability mods.

If you're going to buy an FD just to drop a V8 in it you're better off just buying the already piston-engined 240. I'd also argue FD's do not make good "weekend/track" cars but that's usually like arguing against a wall. If you want my opinion, read on. With an FD be prepared to spend A LOT of money. Expect modifications to be 2X more expensive with a FD over a FC and you'll find yourself fixing just as many interior bits as engine bits. It's unfortunate just how unreliable those cars are. If you want to stick with Mazda you can easily find and build a Miata that'll be just as fast, handle just as well and be a lot more reliable.

There are key reliability mods to the FD, chief among them are cooling. After that, they are no less reliable than most other FORCED INDUCTION, 19 year old cars out there. Owned mine for nearly a decade and have NEVER been left on the side of the road.
The difference is buying one, doing all maintenance and learning about it before being a dip-s*** and turning up boost. And then whining about what an unreliable car it was on some car forum.

EVERYONE it seems wants a "track/weekend car" and a "dream car". I suspect you said the same thing when you bought the 240SX. IMO, decide now which you want more, and/or how long it might be until your dreams change again.
All of that said, nothing wrong with a LSX swapped RX7 if it's done correctly. But you'll loose at least a season and a considerable amount of money doing that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back