Looking for some insights...

Hi everyone - I apologize for the long post but it's my first post in Mazda world...

Long story, not so short....my wife and I were in a really serious accident about 18 months ago where a teenage girl blew threw a stop sign and t-boned my sedan at 40+ MPH. As you might imagine, we're all driving SUVs now as I want everyone higher up off the ground. Our 18 year-old daughter inherited our 2011 MDX and will likely take the MDX with her to college next fall (let's just assume she can actually go live on campus). Our middle daughter is learning to drive on the MDX and now I'm trying to decide which car we should buy for her (and eventually her 13 year-old sister).

I am fan of both Japanese and European vehicles and we've owned many BMWs, Honda/Acuras, and a couple Mercedes and Volvos. I am looking at a few different vehicles for the girls including MY 2017+ used CX-5s, CR-Vs, and the RDXs. There is an outside chance we'll look at a used CX-9s, MDXs, or Pilots as I'd like to have at least one vehicle w/ three rows but the recent versions just seem so....big. I really can't see my 16 year-old maneuvering a Pilot.

Anyway, I read and hear great things about the CX-5 but have never owned a Mazda....though I think my old S40 shared a lot of components w/ the Mazda3. Anyway,
I'm doing my research but honestly am having a hard time deciding and just curious in others' experiences and what I should be watching out for in the CX-5. For example, it's pretty straight forward which Honda vehicles have the Honda Sensing safety features but I'm having trouble figuring out if blind spot monitors, lane keep assist, and braking assistance are standard or tied to certain CX-5 trims.

Thanks!

CX-5s, CR-Vs, and the RDXs Great choices. There will be fans specifically of each of these. I would say let your drive and your daughters Drive determine which one. As with many cars, I'm sure one of them will just 'feel right' . Find the one that you think you can live with the longest and you couldn't go wrong with any of them

I know that didn't really address your question, but if you find one of these that feels right you really can't go wrong

Hi everyone - I apologize for the long post but it's my first post in Mazda world...

Long story, not so short....my wife and I were in a really serious accident about 18 months ago where a teenage girl blew threw a stop sign and t-boned my sedan at 40+ MPH. As you might imagine, we're all driving SUVs now as I want everyone higher up off the ground. Our 18 year-old daughter inherited our 2011 MDX and will likely take the MDX with her to college next fall (let's just assume she can actually go live on campus). Our middle daughter is learning to drive on the MDX and now I'm trying to decide which car we should buy for her (and eventually her 13 year-old sister).

I am fan of both Japanese and European vehicles and we've owned many BMWs, Honda/Acuras, and a couple Mercedes and Volvos. I am looking at a few different vehicles for the girls including MY 2017+ used CX-5s, CR-Vs, and the RDXs. There is an outside chance we'll look at a used CX-9s, MDXs, or Pilots as I'd like to have at least one vehicle w/ three rows but the recent versions just seem so....big. I really can't see my 16 year-old maneuvering a Pilot.

Anyway, I read and hear great things about the CX-5 but have never owned a Mazda....though I think my old S40 shared a lot of components w/ the Mazda3. Anyway,
I'm doing my research but honestly am having a hard time deciding and just curious in others' experiences and what I should be watching out for in the CX-5. For example, it's pretty straight forward which Honda vehicles have the Honda Sensing safety features but I'm having trouble figuring out if blind spot monitors, lane keep assist, and braking assistance are standard or tied to certain CX-5 trims.

Thanks!

If they were my daughters, I’d take a serious look at the CX-30. Good safety tech and a more reasonable price point. Small back row, but do they need more? Seems to be a raised 3 hatch, which would be worth a look itself if you were thinking sedan.

Thank you both for the feedback, it confirms my thinking that I really can't go wrong with these vehicles. I do like the CX-30, but I've seen them on the road and they just look small....I should have mentioned that I spent a week in the hospital after the accident as I had emergency surgery to stop my internal bleeding. It really messes with me....

Thanks again!

The safety features are standard across the range:

Drivers searching for a 2019 Mazda CX-5 will find it offered in five trim levels: Sport, Touring, Grand Touring, Grand Touring Reserve and Signature. Regardless of trim choice, many safety features come standard in the 2019 Mazda CX-5. These include blind-spot monitoring, a forward collision warning system, daytime running lights, stability control, an engine immobilizer, rear door child safety locks, traction control and rear cross-traffic alerts.

The safety features are standard across the range:
Thanks! I knew the new CX-5s had the safety features standard, but wasn't sure if that also applied to 2016.5 and on...I don't think it was until the 2020 MY that Honda made their safety features standard across all trims.

Just to clear things up
2013-2016.5 is Gen 1,
2017-2020 is Gen 2,

There have been so many updates, and standardized equipment changes each year for the different model levels of Sport, Touring, Grand Touring it is difficult, and now the GT-Reserve, and Signature models added, things get more confusing... The best method I have found, is to look at the brochure PDF for the year and model I am looking at to decode the options.

All the features you referenced are standard on any 2017+ CX-5 with the Activsense package or any 2020 trim level. You can tell the difference because the vehicle will have a flat radar front emblem instead of a 3d plastic chrome emblem. Personally, I think the feature is worth getting. It's not foolproof but it could prevent or diminish some accidents. See the Euro NCAP tests.

Thank you both for the feedback, it confirms my thinking that I really can't go wrong with these vehicles. I do like the CX-30, but I've seen them on the road and they just look small....I should have mentioned that I spent a week in the hospital after the accident as I had emergency surgery to stop my internal bleeding. It really messes with me....

Thanks again!
FWIW, My 4 month old 2019 CX-5 GTR was rear ended & totaled while stopped at a traffic light by an elderly woman in a MB SUV. She claims she hit the gas instead of the brakes & was going about 40 mph. My son & I walked away with bumps & bruises. but no major injuries. The CX-5 saved us. I replaced it with it's clone.

Mazda CX-5 has consistently earned a IIHS top safety pick award.

I'm similar to OP in that in my family, we have tended in the past to have one European (BMW) and one Japanese vehicle. The 2020 CX-5 Signature is our first Mazda (decided to go double Japanese).

I'm very impressed with the CX-5, and agree with many of the professional reviews that the top trim approaches the luxury brands, and costs many thousands less.. Mazda CX-5 consistently gets top ratings from both driver oriented reviews (like Car and Driver), and consumer oriented reviews (like Consumers Reports). And Mazda scores in the top three brands for reliability by Consumers Reports.

It sounds like anything smaller than the CX-5 won't work for you, ie the CX-3 or slightly larger CX-30. For overall crash safety your family seems to be happier with a larger vehicle like the CX-5. I think that the CX-9 (Mazda's only 3 row vehicle) might seem too large for your daughters, especially if their reverse and/or parallel parking skills are not up to snuff. If you do look at a CX-5, that is a year or 2 old skip over the bottom of the line GX model for sure. Only consider the GS or top of the line GT model. Even within these two models there are different trim options available to be selected. While there are pros and cons to every brand, the one thing I have taken away from driving the CX-5 (I am on my second one in 6 years) after test driving several other brands, is that the CX-5, amongst it's many wonderful characteristics, is the best handling and most fun to drive model in it's class, as most auto reports have suggested. BUT, as others have suggested on this thread the proof is in the test drive.

If you do look at a CX-5, that is a year or 2 old skip over the bottom of the line GX model for sure. Only consider the GS or top of the line GT model.

I assume these are Canadian models. The US models are named differently: Sport, Touring, Grand Touring; plus Grand Touring Reserve and Signature for Gen 2.

I think is was 2018 model year that mazda made the i-activsense standard across everything (except miata). There are some 2017 mazda's that have the system spec'd.

As far as your 3 brands you've listed, I've only owned Mazda but I'm sure the Honda and Acura would be fine picks (for safety and reliability) as well. I've had a few Mazda's and they are very easy to work on (oil/filter, air filter, cabin filter, brakes, spark plugs, etc). My '15 mazda 3 only part failure (in 120k mi) was a front wheel bearing and that was really my own fault for not finding the hub nut had loosened up slightly. I have a '16.5 cx-5 that I love and has had zero problems in 85k mi. The '16.5 cx-5 has the 2.5L and is fairly efficient turning in around 28mpg around town and 30-32 on the hwy.

One thing we did when my daughters were young drivers was I held on to a 2001 focus wagon that we had bought new back in the day to have liability only on it to list the youngest driver on. Of course, they could drive any vehicle of the "family fleet" but it sure helped out on insurance premiums!

I tend to keep vehicles a long time and rack up 200k miles on them and I do wonder about all the fancy safety equip (cameras, sensors, radar units) and the cost to maintain them as the vehicle ages. Do you do your own work on vehicles or take them to a shop or dealer? I see your forum code-name is CINCYFAN ... if your local here in Cincinnati (I'm eastside beechmont/275 area) there are 5 Mazda dealers around town so never a problem getting service. I use Jeff Wyler since it's close and they've always treated me well.

Good luck with your vehicle search :)

I had a 2013 GT with blind spot monitoring & nav that my daughter in law now drives, I loved the 2.0 gas mileage. A 2016 GT w Premium that added radar cruise, auto stopping features and steering headlights, walk away locks that I liked and my daughter now drives (carplay and AA can be added for the young ones), I have a 2020 GT with Premium that added Heads Up Display I love, memory seats, ventilated seats which in GA I love, carplay, AA, power tailgate, also much quieter. Definitely find something with BSM and take it for a ride to see if it works well for you. Only replaced tires and batteries but the 2013 probably has had a brake job by now. Biggest problem was a post that jumped into my wife's door but I was able to find a used door in the same color and changed it myself.

Sorry to her about this accident. Your kids are lucky to have you making these choices with their well being in mind.

I was t boned back in prob 99 or 2000, Pontiac Grand Prix ran stop. We were in a ten yr old Chevy pick up, had a big pesticide tank on back, empty. Impact tossed the tank on to side. Frame bent on truck, write off. No seatbelts on us (young and stupid and going two streets over to customer). Cops figured he was going 30 mph. Hit on my side... and we all walked away. So for years I was believer in tall ride height and weight.

I still am, but then the rollover concerns started to play with my mind. That is the trade off. If your kids drive responsibly and react well to emerg maneuvers, I think the rollover risk is manageable. I have 2 SUVs as proof that i am a believer in ride height and size.

But.

I have also recently owned sedans, and they just will give a driver more wiggle room for error in a highway emerg maneuver. Im at point where I think the differences SUV vs car of same weight are not huge. Camry sized sedan or bigger vs say my CRV...not sure I'd think one is safer overall than another, given same safety options. T bone is just one crash scenario.

I looked once into death statistics (ya I'm a fun guy at parties), and recall noticing the high number of single vehicle crashes (so obviously not t bones) where death was the result. Really made me think.

End of day Id rather be in an f250 if Im gonna be hit. But there is some nuance here. Including budgets. Location too (snow?). And is it freeway driving or urban? Freeway i tend to think sedans better, higher stability at speed and low t bone risk.

I consider my wife and i to be good drivers (of course, don't we all!) but we're far from perfect. I've lost control on snowy highway couple times, and I'm not sure how an SUV handles such lateral slide movements. So I'd say check NHTSA and IIHS fr rollover ratings of any SUV you plan on getting. Check it for all the data, TBH.

Not to be so morbid on a Monday morning, and I bet more info is a bit overwhelming. It's just when I read your story, it's the same 2 decade debate I've had in my mind.

I'm sure this goes without saying, but instill in kids the need to be sober. Give them winter tires if applicable. Safety tech if within budget, is amazing. Teach them what to do if hit (so many get hit standing on road looking at the damage). All just as important.

Thanks!
Glad your wife and you survived a serious accident!

It seems you’re keeping your vehicles for a long time. IMO you should avoid the 2.5L with cylinder deactivation which comes with most Mazda models right now. If you really want to try Mazda for the first time, get CX-30 as some trims still come with 2.5L without cylinder deactivation. Personally I want to avoid turbo and CVT, but 2.5T should be more reliable than 2.5L with CD, and you can find 2.5T in 2020 Mazda CX-5 top trims. But gas mileage definitely will suffer.

If I were you I’d try to get a Toyota RAV4, or a RAV4 Hybrid which costs more but has more power and much better fuel economy. And I noticed you have never owned a Toyota before which can be a new and different car brand for you. Like you I‘ve owned many European vehicles but I’m getting tired of frequent repairs and expensive parts. I always prefer to get a new vehicle with the latest technologies and much less guess work on what has been happened in the past to the used vehicle. But if you really want a CX-5, find a used 2017 or prior CX-5 which doesn’t come with cylinder deactivation on its 2.5L.

Last edited:
If you really want to try Mazda for the first time, get CX-30

Although I like the styling of the CX-30, most of the reviews I've read say the CX-5 is a better choice - for ride, comfort and space, with negligible performance impact. And from what I've seen, the CX-30 is barely cheaper than the CX-5.

The one good thing about the CX-30 appears to be that it has the next gen electronics (audio etc) vs. the CX-5

CX30 is just a 5-inch taller Mazda3. Even the cargo room is nearly the same.
The ONLY complaint I have on my '17 Cx5 is the Multi-Func Display system. Though the '17 is already much better than the older models', it still requires patience. By patience, I meant that, at startup, you really need to wait until it completes rebooting. If you interrupt the process, something could go wrong... not every time, but the chance is higher.... be patient. The 2020 CX30 and Mazda3 have the newer 8.8" system. The 2020 CX5 still has the old one as in 2017-2019.
Other than the MDI system, love my CX5. It drives like one class above my '16 Mazda6 GT, except for the cornering.... can't compare a CUV vs a sedan.

Forgot to mention, for the safety options, old brochures online are good start, but they won't tell you if owner added options. For that, need to speak to dealer about the specifics of each car you consider.

But I'd risk a guess that rear cross traffic and blind spot monitoring were not standard on most 16-19 MY CX5s. And how many added it is questionable.

You'd likely have lane dep mitigation and forward emerg brake. Be warned, if you wanted full lane assist like newer Hondas, you might not like Mazda's more passive system. Do search here for differences.

Pedestrian detect, I doubt it was on full model range for used MY vehicles. My 2019 CX9 Sig doesnt even have, no option existed.

Again, only way to be sure is to check specifics with each car on a lot as many of the options you want would have been available, but perhaps not standard to each MY lineup .

Back