Looking at new tires

Sooo Bridgestone just said Sorry they were OEM equipment and we provide tires according to the manufacture's specifications. You were not the original purchaser of the tire, Mazda was so there's nothing we can do.

Mazda said wow, that's BS. Please bring the car in so we can document that there's nothing wrong with the vehicle, tire pressure is okay, etc, and then we'll try and reach out to Bridgestone for you. At least they were helpful!
Also reach out to your local Firestone. I would call Bridgestone back and complain to them about the seriousness of how dangerous this is and these tires should not be on the car in any weather below 40 degrees. That’s a bad marketing from Bridgestone and their claims of it being an all season tire. It’s really a 3 season tire. I would even say what happens if I get into an accident or something happens and it’s cause the tires are designed poorly and can not ride in any snow and it’s proven that it’s due to poor tires that that would be a lawsuit and they need to provide correct ratings for their tires. Write a review on their website as well. It will get their attention and don’t take no for an answer when you talk to them. Be kind but stern. Ask to talk to a regional manager. Take the car to Firestone. Have them work with you. I wish you were local and I would have you go to my Firestone’s in the area. Please keep us posted. I’m disappointed with Mazda and Bridgestone. Mazda for putting these tires on and Bridgestone for advertising these tires as all season.

I wonder what Bridgestone did to these tires - I have a set of these from a few years ago and they aren't bad. Granted, I don't drive in the snow. However, the reviews on the net are really bad - poor treadwear, noisy, sidewalls bulging, etc. I need new tires and I won't be buying these again, that's for sure.

I wonder what Bridgestone did to these tires - I have a set of these from a few years ago and they aren't bad. Granted, I don't drive in the snow. However, the reviews on the net are really bad - poor treadwear, noisy, sidewalls bulging, etc. I need new tires and I won't be buying these again, that's for sure.
I think these tires are great 3 season tires. Not made for cold areas

What (technically) is a all-season tire? The U.S. Tire Manufacturers Assn says:

Passenger and light truck tires meeting the following criteria are marked on at least one sidewall with
the letters “M” and “S” (e.g., MS, M/S, M&S, M+S, etc.).
These tires have been designed to provide better starting, stopping, and driving performance in snow
conditions than non-M&S tires, and have the following general characteristics:
1. The new tire tread shall have multiple pockets or slots in at least one tread edge that meet the
following requirements based on mold dimensions:
a. Extend toward the tread center at least 1/2 inch from the footprint edge, measured perpendicularly
to the tread centerline.
b. A minimum cross-sectional width of 1/16 inch.
c. Edges of pockets or slots at angles between 35 and 90 degrees from the direction of travel.
2. The new tire tread contact surface void area will be a minimum of 25% based on mold dimensions.

So...the all-season specs are solely based on tread dimensions. It has nothing to do with actual traction. The crappy Ecopia tires meet the spec. Real winter tires with the snowflake-on-mountain symbol actually meet a pretty weak snow traction test. I blame Mazda for choosing these tires for the cars.

Sooo Bridgestone just said Sorry they were OEM equipment and we provide tires according to the manufacture's specifications. You were not the original purchaser of the tire, Mazda was so there's nothing we can do.

Mazda said wow, that's BS. Please bring the car in so we can document that there's nothing wrong with the vehicle, tire pressure is okay, etc, and then we'll try and reach out to Bridgestone for you. At least they were helpful!

Doesn't surprise me, frankly. My perception at my local retail Firestone stores (same company that owns Bridgestone) has been wholly unappealing in my case, it seems like there may be an issue from the top... which is disappointing considering all the issues they had with Ford Explorers in the 90s. Good on Mazda to come through, I second the plan to get this fully documented.

Hey any update from Mazda?

Hey everyone. I have the Bridgestone alenza plus in 255/50/20 XL rated. Was thinking of swapping to a 265/50/20 tire of the Bridgestone alenza plus. Does anyone have any experience with 265 series tires on this vehicle and factory wheels? Curious to see how ride quality would be. I would assume a little better with a half inch more of tire in overall diameter but never know hence why I’m asking the question.

Thanks!!

Hey everyone. I have the Bridgestone alenza plus in 255/50/20 XL rated. Was thinking of swapping to a 265/50/20 tire of the Bridgestone alenza plus. Does anyone have any experience with 265 series tires on this vehicle and factory wheels? Curious to see how ride quality would be. I would assume a little better with a half inch more of tire in overall diameter but never know hence why I’m asking the question.

Thanks!!

The only things I can think of are increased turn-in handling and increased rolling resistance. Both are very slight. If you go with the 265s, your overall wheel diameter will increase by 10mm, which should result in a more comfortable ride over road imperfections (how much more comfortable, I'm not sure). I think I would do 265s if I was looking to swap from the OEM tires, but if I already had the Alenza Plus in 255s, I don't think I would change them out unless I could do it for free.

The only things I can think of are increased turn-in handling and increased rolling resistance. Both are very slight. If you go with the 265s, your overall wheel diameter will increase by 10mm, which should result in a more comfortable ride over road imperfections (how much more comfortable, I'm not sure). I think I would do 265s if I was looking to swap from the OEM tires, but if I already had the Alenza Plus in 255s, I don't think I would change them out unless I could do it for free.
This would be for free. The 255s are an xl rated tire and the 265s aren’t. From what I read the xl will ride harsher but not sure how much. I like my alenza plus tires. I even called tire rack and they all recommend them compared to other tires. Majority of the staff uses them. That tells me that they are good if they own them. Just not sure if I’ll notice the difference between 255 and 265. Hence why I’m asking everyone on here.

Any update on this?

I finished adding Ceika 1M Coilovers Lowered 1 1/2”, Avant Garde 610 9” wheels and Michelin Pilot 255/45/R20 10” AS/3 tires, love it looks great, rides nice and handles much better.
Mazda CX9.jpg

I finished adding Ceika 1M Coilovers Lowered 1 1/2”, Avant Garde 610 9” wheels and Michelin Pilot 255/45/R20 10” AS/3 tires, love it looks great, rides nice and handles much better.View attachment 223602
Looks great. Those wheels are nice. Why did you go smaller in tires? Those Michelin tires are nice. Had them on another car of mine. Only thing is they wore out fast. Hopefully they last for you.

Hello I am an old dinosaur and this is my first forum. Please pardon my ignorance if I do something wrong.
I have a 2009 cx9 Touring. A friend gave me 20 inch factory wheels.
I want to go as big/ fat with the tires as I can and still have adequate clearance.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Will 245/60R20s fit?
Thanks

Hello I am an old dinosaur and this is my first forum. Please pardon my ignorance if I do something wrong.
I have a 2009 cx9 Touring. A friend gave me 20 inch factory wheels.
I want to go as big/ fat with the tires as I can and still have adequate clearance.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Will 245/60R20s fit?
Thanks

Hi Led, welcome to the forum!

I like using this wheel size calculator. You can plug in your current setup and compare it with a different setup to see how things would change.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Your 09 being a Touring model, it currently has the 18" wheels, correct? If so, OEM rim size is 18x7.5 with a +45 mm offset, with 245/60/18 tires. If your friend gave you the OEM 20" wheels that came on the CX-9 up until 2015, they are likely 20x7.5 +45 offset. If they are the 20s from the 2016+ CX-9, the wheels would be 20x8.5 with a +45 offset. Either way, based on the calculator above, here's what you can expect.

With 20x7.5 wheels and 245/60/20 tires:
20x7.5.JPG

With 20x8.5 wheels and 245/60/20 tires:
20.8.5.JPG

In terms of height, the gap between the fender and the wheel would be about an inch smaller. In terms of width, since the 8.5" width wheels come with an OEM tire size of 255/50/20, you could probably get away with 255/60 if you wanted. If you have the 7.5" widths, I would just keep them at 245. Both options should leave you with plenty of clearance for paved roads and light off-road duty.

Just keep in mind that when you change the overall diameter of the wheel size, your speedometer readout will no longer be as accurate (detailed in the pictures).

Hope this isn't too confusing!

Thanks Brett! You are Amazing!
I have the 7.5s (20”) and my objective is to go as Tall and Wide as possible in an effort to look more like the old style Armada or Pathfinder look.
I presume my ambition is against the norm but I Love the car.
What would you recommend?
Thanks Again

I would recommend 255/55/20 As its a little larger but not by too much and still fits the rim width. I would recommend these two tires. Both are fantastic. I personally have the Bridgestone alenza plus and they have a nice truck like look to them and seem to be robust. Both have fantastic reviews and both are similar in price however you can probably get a better deal on the Bridgestone.

What area are you from? What type of driving will you be doing? Just want to make sure to recommend the proper tires based on your use and driving habits.

I can’t thank you enough Brett! We live in NJ. I’m an old man at 55 and the Wife drives a Lexus RX350- Incredible car. I Love the handling And the cargo room on the CX9- pretty awesome. Our Daughter says I drive like an old man and I pretty much do - I am willing to sacrifice some handling performance to achieve as Beefy/All Terrain look as I can. I respect and appreciate your expertise. If I Drive like a turtle only locally with no off road could I go a little bigger And still fit in the wheel well? If not I’ll go with your advice.
Either way I can’t thank you enough for your time and consideration!
Your car is Awesome by the way!

Where in NJ? I’m in PA by sesame place. I don’t think you would be giving anything up with either of those tires. Apparently the Bridgestone will last longer based on reviews but both get fantastic reviews.

Hey any update from Mazda?

Sorry for the LONG overdue reply! COVID hit just after I took the car to the dealer and then everything fell flat unfortunately. I explained my concerns to the service manager and gave them the info I had from Mazda corporate. Corporate also had my visit information. They inspected the car, tires, brakes, suspension, etc and everything checked out okay. I followed up with corporate and they said their hands were tied.. Followed up with Bridgestone / Firestone and they said sorry we didn't sell you the tires, Mazda did, so take it up with them.

So in March I had a 6 month old car with less than 5K miles on it, closer to 4K if I remember correctly and the tires were absolutely useless in cold weather. I have two curbed rims from when I slid sideways during a 10mph turn in an inch of snow in February. My RWD Dodge Charger handled better in the snow...

I will be going to a local tire shop to get new tires before this winter, probably one of three mentioned in this thread. It'll be a shame to toss tires away with only 7K miles on them but I can't risk my family's safety.

Anyone run Continental tires on their CX9/5? I had a really good experience with their DWS06 line. Not sure if they make them for our cars through.

Back