Looking at new tires

Sooo Bridgestone just said Sorry they were OEM equipment and we provide tires according to the manufacture's specifications. You were not the original purchaser of the tire, Mazda was so there's nothing we can do.

Mazda said wow, that's BS. Please bring the car in so we can document that there's nothing wrong with the vehicle, tire pressure is okay, etc, and then we'll try and reach out to Bridgestone for you. At least they were helpful!
Also reach out to your local Firestone. I would call Bridgestone back and complain to them about the seriousness of how dangerous this is and these tires should not be on the car in any weather below 40 degrees. That’s a bad marketing from Bridgestone and their claims of it being an all season tire. It’s really a 3 season tire. I would even say what happens if I get into an accident or something happens and it’s cause the tires are designed poorly and can not ride in any snow and it’s proven that it’s due to poor tires that that would be a lawsuit and they need to provide correct ratings for their tires. Write a review on their website as well. It will get their attention and don’t take no for an answer when you talk to them. Be kind but stern. Ask to talk to a regional manager. Take the car to Firestone. Have them work with you. I wish you were local and I would have you go to my Firestone’s in the area. Please keep us posted. I’m disappointed with Mazda and Bridgestone. Mazda for putting these tires on and Bridgestone for advertising these tires as all season.

V
2010 CX-9 GT
I wonder what Bridgestone did to these tires - I have a set of these from a few years ago and they aren't bad. Granted, I don't drive in the snow. However, the reviews on the net are really bad - poor treadwear, noisy, sidewalls bulging, etc. I need new tires and I won't be buying these again, that's for sure.

I wonder what Bridgestone did to these tires - I have a set of these from a few years ago and they aren't bad. Granted, I don't drive in the snow. However, the reviews on the net are really bad - poor treadwear, noisy, sidewalls bulging, etc. I need new tires and I won't be buying these again, that's for sure.
I think these tires are great 3 season tires. Not made for cold areas

V
Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016
What (technically) is a all-season tire? The U.S. Tire Manufacturers Assn says:

Passenger and light truck tires meeting the following criteria are marked on at least one sidewall with
the letters “M” and “S” (e.g., MS, M/S, M&S, M+S, etc.).
These tires have been designed to provide better starting, stopping, and driving performance in snow
conditions than non-M&S tires, and have the following general characteristics:
1. The new tire tread shall have multiple pockets or slots in at least one tread edge that meet the
following requirements based on mold dimensions:
a. Extend toward the tread center at least 1/2 inch from the footprint edge, measured perpendicularly
to the tread centerline.
b. A minimum cross-sectional width of 1/16 inch.
c. Edges of pockets or slots at angles between 35 and 90 degrees from the direction of travel.
2. The new tire tread contact surface void area will be a minimum of 25% based on mold dimensions.

So...the all-season specs are solely based on tread dimensions. It has nothing to do with actual traction. The crappy Ecopia tires meet the spec. Real winter tires with the snowflake-on-mountain symbol actually meet a pretty weak snow traction test. I blame Mazda for choosing these tires for the cars.

V
2017 Crystal Mica Blue GT CX9
Sooo Bridgestone just said Sorry they were OEM equipment and we provide tires according to the manufacture's specifications. You were not the original purchaser of the tire, Mazda was so there's nothing we can do.

Mazda said wow, that's BS. Please bring the car in so we can document that there's nothing wrong with the vehicle, tire pressure is okay, etc, and then we'll try and reach out to Bridgestone for you. At least they were helpful!

Doesn't surprise me, frankly. My perception at my local retail Firestone stores (same company that owns Bridgestone) has been wholly unappealing in my case, it seems like there may be an issue from the top... which is disappointing considering all the issues they had with Ford Explorers in the 90s. Good on Mazda to come through, I second the plan to get this fully documented.

Latest posts