Look what Ive got.....

:
2022 2.5GT
Look what Ive got.....

Im in the USA for a while and was pleasantly surprised to see Alamo with 2018s in stock. It gives me chance to compare yours with mine (if youll pardon the expression). Im suitably impressed with it although this one with 10000 miles has not been loved. The low oil light came on leaving the airport so its had a quart of Mobil 1 0W/20 and the bumpers have been used for just that. However it is very quiet and very smooth. Ive only just added the oil at Walmart so not tried flooring it but it gets along quite nicely.

B6_F4_F111-4427-4815-85_CC-_EEB01_A4_A3860.jpg

I bet it was the only fresh oil it has ever seen since the factory fill. Very sad indeed.

I bet it was the only fresh oil it has ever seen since the factory fill. Very sad indeed.

It is sad. This is such a nice car and it’s been treated like crap. There was oil all over the engine cover so maybe the dipstick was left out or the cap left off or it uses a good amount of oil and someone previously spilled some.

6_C7_F8844-2_D4_A-4_C53-_B141-0600_B5_CC5840.jpg

The oil was just below the minimum mark and the system did a good job of warning me. Pity the last renter didn’t do something about it.

F315_C81_B-_DEC0-4_AB8-_BC17-3_E111253_A3_BF.jpg

The quart has just about brought it to the top mark on the stick.

BF14_BEF0-5639-44_C3-87_E5-205808_C19_D9_B.jpg

The windshield washer res was empty and the wheels don’t look like they have ever been cleaned since it left Hiroshima.

3_D82_ADEB-63_D4-477_E-_BADD-6_E59_B34421_D8.jpg

I’m in the USA for a while and was pleasantly surprised to see Alamo with 2018s in stock. It gives me chance to compare yours with mine (if you’ll pardon the expression). I’m suitably impressed with it although this one with 10000 miles has not been loved. The low oil light came on leaving the airport so it’s had a quart of Mobil 1 0W/20 and the bumpers have been used for just that. However it is very quiet and very smooth. I’ve only just added the oil at Walmart so not tried flooring it but it gets along quite nicely.

Don't forget that scratch on the front left hand corner of the bumper bar.

Quieter than your diesel back home Anchorman (uhm)

Last edited:
I'd point all of this out at the drop-off. Although this will not mean or change anything. I'm sure even the owner of the outlet wouldn't care less, nevermind the guys at the counter. The car will be out of circulation in less then a year.
Very few people, mostly European folks like you and me would dare to pop up the good to check fluid levels. It's rental, right? What you did with dumping expensive synthetic oil into rental is extraordinary and is bordering a felony...

So how does it feel driving about town compared to the diesel? Do you find yourself waiting for downshifts?

It is a shame that rental cars get so little care and then they pretend to sell them under the impression that they get serviced regularly.

Don't forget that scratch on the front left hand corner of the bumper bar.

Quieter than your diesel back home Anchorman (uhm)

Very observant my Ozzie mate. I emailed them the very next morning and a close up of that scratch was attached. The rear one isn’t much better. They’ve apologised and credited my account with $50 which is fair enough. I told them they dodged a bullet with the oil as if I’d done what a lot of renters do and ignored it, they would be in for a huge bill that Mazda would walk away from.

It is significantly quieter than my diesel although I never realised as my diesel is quieter than any merc or beemer. Amazingly, anchorwoman has declared that she likes the growl of the diesel!

I'd point all of this out at the drop-off. Although this will not mean or change anything. I'm sure even the owner of the outlet wouldn't care less, nevermind the guys at the counter. The car will be out of circulation in less then a year.
Very few people, mostly European folks like you and me would dare to pop up the good to check fluid levels. It's rental, right? What you did with dumping expensive synthetic oil into rental is extraordinary and is bordering a felony...

Haha, I just couldn’t put weasel pee in a new engine like that even if they hadn’t compensated me. I know what you mean though, they’re probably put gear oil in it at the super duper airport service center.

So how does it feel driving about town compared to the diesel? Do you find yourself waiting for downshifts?

I’ll report better in a few days. I can tell you that the diesel makes much less fuss getting up to speed quickly. I pushed this one a bit coming back from Walmart just now and it just pile on the revs. I’ll have a proper fiddle and report back.

It is a shame that rental cars get so little care and then they pretend to sell them under the impression that they get serviced regularly.

This was the reply from them. Is it sincere? I don’t know but I would walk into that service facility and kick somebody’s backside,

I am so sorry to hear about the condition of your rental! We try to avoid these things from ever happening by providing the newest of vehicles; my apologies on your vehicle falling short of expectation. I am thinking that unfortunately the oil level was not filled correctly upon routine maintenance of the car prior to your rental, and as you mentioned is inexcusable. If you would be more comfortable with another vehicle you are able to return the vehicle so that we may exchange it for you. We will be happy to get you into an upgraded vehicle that you will enjoy. If you are out of the area, you may also reach out to another location to check for availability, I recommend calling or email prior to visiting them. If, however, you are comfortable with that car now, you of course may keep it. Thank you for adding what is needed to operate safely. I did credit $50 towards your rental which should easily cover the quart of oil you added. I hope the rest of your experience is to your liking.

Very observant my Ozzie mate. I emailed them the very next morning and a close up of that scratch was attached. The rear one isn’t much better. They’ve apologised and credited my account with $50 which is fair enough. I told them they dodged a bullet with the oil as if I’d done what a lot of renters do and ignored it, they would be in for a huge bill that Mazda would walk away from.

It is significantly quieter than my diesel although I never realised as my diesel is quieter than any merc or beemer. Amazingly, anchorwoman has declared that she likes the growl of the diesel!

It is good they credited you that. Some rental companies here will blame the driver even when they provide evidence it was like that when they got it.

I agree - this CX-5 is much quieter than my previous 6 and a whole lot quieter that the 3

Anchorwoman is a diesel fan!!

Exactly. A lot of people buy used cars from the rental fleets thinking they have been properly maintained. Frankly, the drivers renting these cars don’t care. It’s not theirs and they drive and trash them badly.

Bingo.

I know some people that everytime they get a rental, they floor it every possible chance they get

Exactly. A lot of people buy used cars from the rental fleets thinking they have been properly maintained. Frankly, the drivers renting these cars don’t care. It’s not theirs and they drive and trash them badly.

Not only mechanically but the interiors too. Plain rude. I rent a lot from Hertz and each time I return the minivan free from garbage, full of fuel and fluids and a note to the service advisor if something must be fixed or checked before the next costumer.

I gave a bad review for Avis at Columbus Ohio. Basically started driving a rental and noticed a plastic bottle near my feet-cmon thats awful service.
Next week - i got a BMW 3 series (i usually get camry corolla types), so Avis does get it and does nice.
Last month dodged a bullet though - guy in Harrisburg apologized and said you Corolla was accidentally given to the lady that left now - is a Mazda3 ok? I went we'll take it. Got a loaded GT.

I’m in the USA for a while and was pleasantly surprised to see Alamo with 2018s in stock. It gives me chance to compare yours with mine (if you’ll pardon the expression). I’m suitably impressed with it although this one with 10000 miles has not been loved. The low oil light came on leaving the airport so it’s had a quart of Mobil 1 0W/20 and the bumpers have been used for just that. However it is very quiet and very smooth. I’ve only just added the oil at Walmart so not tried flooring it but it gets along quite nicely.

Do you miss the features available to you in AUS?

Back