LOL @ Rav4

:
2021 RDX A-Spec
What a mess they have compared to the CX-5:
  • An engine block recall
  • A gas tank defect affecting 75% of owners, according to a poll on RAV4World.
  • Privacy concerns regarding their Safety Connect feature
  • Charging people a monthly subscription for a remote start app that doesn't work
  • Various assembly quirks, such as missing body panel gaskets, lack of hook insulation on some models, etc.
  • A poor quality infotainment setup and backup/360 cameras despite being a fresh redesign
Kinda puts things into perspective and also makes me a little skeptical of this Mazda-Toyota partnership.

Crossovers are such huge sellers these days and for good reasons. The huge numbers probably don't make quality control easier.

I know someone who just bought a RAV4.
I'm not sure why he passed on Mazda but he hasn't had any serious issues that I know of.
I'm glad I have a Mazda but if everyone wanted one think how expensive they could get.

My rule of thumb is to not get a redesign the first year it's released. Only reason I got my 2019 GT Reserve was because the engine has been put through the tests already with the CX-9 and Mazda 6 :ROFLMAO:. Rav4 Prime is tempting, but I wouldn't get it for at least 2 years to let the kinks get worked out.

Last edited:
Had a 2007 Rav Limited with a V6, had it for 12 yrs and never had a problem, If they would of had a Mazda GTR interior and still had the V6 I would surely of purchased another one. It kept its resale up there really well, my daughter and son-in-law have it now, they just put a water pump in it other than that the body is rust free and has nothing but the average things, brakes, oil changes, tires. I am happy with my GTR, it rides great and i love the interior and If I have the same luck that I had with the RAV the next choice will be a tuffy.
Edit: I just looked up the prime it looks like Toyota really stepped up their interior game, 300+hp and with those kind of mileage numbers, if they keep the price somewhat resonable will sell a ton of them.

Last edited:
Facts prove this out. Its why Mazda has zoom-zoomed it's way into the top 3 for reliability recently.
My wifes 2018 CX5 Touring CPO has needed only oil changes in 33k miles so far (purchased with 8k miles on odometer in late 2018)
My new to me preowed 2019 CX5 GT (13k miles at time of purchase last month) has been perfect thus far and I expect it to continue.

Comes to show that even Toyota can have blunders on a totally new platform. And they're the king of ironing out problems upon launch.

Kinda puts things into perspective and also makes me a little skeptical of this Mazda-Toyota partnership.
Yeh, you wallow in "Mazda" (or any manufacturer) all the time and you forget that there's lots of others out there with much larger issues (can you say "oil dilution"?)

Regarding the partnership, my understanding is that it's mostly for Mazda to leverage Toyota's electric vehicle technology. I find that to be encouraging, since it's tried & true, and will go into a Mazda-engineered vehicle.

What a mess they have compared to the CX-5:
  • An engine block recall
  • A gas tank defect affecting 75% of owners, according to a poll on RAV4World.
  • Privacy concerns regarding their Safety Connect feature
  • Charging people a monthly subscription for a remote start app that doesn't work
  • Various assembly quirks, such as missing body panel gaskets, lack of hook insulation on some models, etc.
  • A poor quality infotainment setup and backup/360 cameras despite being a fresh redesign

And yet none of those issues are as serious as the cylinder deactivation issue in the 2.5 NA CX-5. One guy on this forum even got an engine replacement. And not sure why you brought up the infotainment system? Toyota's system in the RAV4 is still WAY WAY better then what is in the CX-5, which is literally 7 years old.

The RAV4 is so poor I guess that's why Toyota is struggling to build enough RAV4 Hybrid's to meet demand. I'm guessing Mazda wished they had this problem.

And yet none of those issues are as serious as the cylinder deactivation issue in the 2.5 NA CX-5. One guy on this forum even got an engine replacement. And not sure why you brought up the infotainment system? Toyota's system in the RAV4 is still WAY WAY better then what is in the CX-5, which is literally 7 years old.

The RAV4 is so poor I guess that's why Toyota is struggling to build enough RAV4 Hybrid's to meet demand. I'm guessing Mazda wished they had this problem.
I don’t know the details, but an engine block recall sounds pretty serious.

Mazda quickly recalled the cylinder deactivation issue.

IMO, people need to get over complaining about the Mazda infotainment. It’s intuitive but can be slow. This is a car, not a computer for playing video games.

Yeh, you wallow in "Mazda" (or any manufacturer) all the time and you forget that there's lots of others out there with much larger issues (can you say "oil dilution"?)
Brought my CRV in for the free oil change to the dealer. I asked the service guy about the OD issue and if its still occurring often after the recalls. He never heard of it..... yeah right....

Brought my CRV in for the free oil change to the dealer. I asked the service guy about the OD issue and if its still occurring often after the recalls. He never heard of it..... yeah right....
And that was what so many owners were saying their dealers (and Honda corporate) were telling them as I was researching 2 years ago. I cannot imagine how oil dilution might grossly reduce the life of an engine. One CR-V was changing his oil every 1,000 miles due to the level of dilution...I wonder how that fits in with Honda's "sustainability" propaganda. I read that this has also an issue in Civics for a while. I can't imagine what it would be like to build a business around spitting in customers' faces like this.

I dodged a 2 bullets when I bought my car:

#1 was researching the CR-V at the behest of my brother who owned his own car repair shop. I was moving from a truck into an SUV, and was sold on Honda due to their prevalanve on the road.

#2 was when life issues got in the way of me pulling the trigger in 2018 (Cylinder Deactivation) and pushed my decision into 2019 (turbo).

ONE guy on the forum got an engine replacement. The CD issue has been remedied, there are hundreds of thousands of CD 2.5L engines in Mazda cars and the issues are actually few.

I owned a Jeep Renegade for a couple years, the forums were littered with constant posts about engine problems, oil burning (4 quarts within 5k miles) radiator cooling fans seizing, engine replacements etc.
Its a breath of fresh air to come on the Cx5 forums barely see reports of engine related issues.
IF CD failure was a widespread issue, the amounts of failures would be constantly reported. But you found 1? That is nothing frankly.

My rule of thumb is to not get a redseign the first year it's released. Only reason I got my 2019 GT Reserve was because the engine has been put through the tests already with the CX-9 and Mazda 6 :ROFLMAO:. Rav4 Prime is tempting, but I wouldn't get it for at least 2 years to let the kinks get worked out.
Yes indeed!

ONE guy on the forum got an engine replacement. The CD issue has been remedied, there are hundreds of thousands of CD 2.5L engines in Mazda cars and the issues are actually few.

I owned a Jeep Renegade for a couple years, the forums were littered with constant posts about engine problems, oil burning (4 quarts within 5k miles) radiator cooling fans seizing, engine replacements etc.
Its a breath of fresh air to come on the Cx5 forums barely see reports of engine related issues.
IF CD failure was a widespread issue, the amounts of failures would be constantly reported. But you found 1? That is nothing frankly.
And the issue has gone away since the PCM upgrade to the 2018s that were already on the road, the "on the lot" 2018s and "out of the factory" 2019s and 2020s.

Nary a peep.

And the issue has gone away since the PCM upgrade to the 2018s that were already on the road, the "on the lot" 2018s and "out of the factory" 2019s and 2020s.

Nary a peep.

More like masked it. Highly doubt a 'software' fix is going to fix it.

Considering how many auto companies have had issues with CD, I'd stay far far away from it.

Couldn't you say the same thing regarding the CRV? They have hundreds of thousands of CRV on the road and the issues are actually few. And as far as I know, I haven't read any reports of a single engine failure related to this, and yet it continues to sell.

Considering how many auto companies have had issues with CD, I'd stay far far away from it.

Masked what? If the 2.5L CD was failure prone it would be happening constantly. Mazda found a PCM issue and corrected it.

First, I generally agree about staying away from CD, although I had a friend who loved the CD in his truck (I believe it was a 6 cylinder Dodge). He said it really boosted his highway mileage, and he often drove from Virginia to Wyoming, in addition to lots of local country road trips.

Regarding "masking" the problem, I'm not enough of a gear-head to agree or disagree. But how do you "mask" such a thing? The rocker arm either stays on or it doesn't...there's no turning up the stereo and singing loudly when it falls off.

What problem might still exists? I'm sure we would all like to see a physical attachment point for the rocker arm, but if Mazda has arrived at the proper oil pressure to keep it attached under "all" circumstances. I guess time will tell. Perhaps there still are rare conditions under which it might fall away...they obviously failed to foresee everything the first time around. I don't know.

Back