Live traffic updates?

My navigation began developing problems acquiring an accurate signal. It would constantly put the location at least 500ft away onto another road/street, and the direction would fluctuate quite badly. Some times, it would lose signal completely unless I restart the car or reinsert the SD card. Doing the regular SD card reset doesn't help either.

Time to bring it into service. Woohoo.

Has the sim card been replaced, or has the original been reused?

Four units sounds like there's another problem to me, not that I know as much as you, about the system.
I was a maintenance technician (electrician) for 25 years, and no way would we replace something 4 times, twice maybe.

Seeing one working in another car, and fitting that one would eliminate the unit, or not.

I know what you mean, but what are the other options or possibilities? Furthermore Tomtom have agreed with me that the problem lies within their apparatus. Apart from today, the other units have at least worked or a week or two.

I have had over 40 years of being a maintenance technician myself, and then the business owner in the whitegoods industry (cookers, home laundry & dishwashers) I Recently sold the business with over 80,000 customers on my data-base. I accept perhaps a long way from the motor trade, but when it comes to component failure over product failure, there are similarities.

High on the nature of my business was the application of modules in the way of printed circuit boards as fitted to most of the products my company dealt with. These were rather unstable at times, and quite common to have a high failure rate. Therefore quite volatile. So despite four units having failed, I can't say I'm that surprised, especially when I look at this forum as well as the TomTom forum.

So knowing the likely failure rate, I'm not at all surprised to see a "bad run" on something.

Sim card on the Tom Tom comes as part of a new sealed unit. There is in fact a directive from Mazda that in cases of TomTom unit failure, the old unit must be returned to Mazda direct, and untampered to prevent the possibility of rejection of the service claim. Mazda will not allow the job ticket to be cleared for payment until this criteria has been satisfied. Exactly the same as the industry I have been in.

I have had similar issues in the trackers as fitted to my vehicles, all of them used Sim cards.

So in essence, this is a TomTom issue, it has been well documented, and in fact is a recognised problem. As long as it goes on I will pursue TomTom for a satisfactory conclusion, and in the interim updates to mapping and an extension to my live traffic facility.

I love the car, and I will not allow this episode with regard to a second rate ancillary product to degenerate the quality of the car as a whole. Sadly though in the eyes of some users could reflect badly on Mazda as they have endorsed a second rate product in what should be a first rate car.

At present I blame TomTom, but there again perhaps Mazda made a mistake in the choice of service provider.

Alex

My navigation began developing problems acquiring an accurate signal. It would constantly put the location at least 500ft away onto another road/street, and the direction would fluctuate quite badly. Some times, it would lose signal completely unless I restart the car or reinsert the SD card. Doing the regular SD card reset doesn't help either.

Time to bring it into service. Woohoo.
I'm having the same problems since I did the 1st update.

^ Since when did you start experiences such problems? My update was done in late December and has worked flawlessly until a few weeks ago.

Makes me glad I have a nice Magellan Nav unit attached to my window instead of having shelled out big bucks to get the Nav Package, and then trying to deal with the integrated TomTom unit.

BC.

^ Since when did you start experiences such problems? My update was done in late December and has worked flawlessly until a few weeks ago.

The 1st update was done sometime in mid March and then the 2nd one was done 2 weeks ago. I just finished doing the 3rd update just now. I will see tomorrow if this latest update fixed the bugs

I began having problems mid March... As my locations states, I am also in NYC area.

I began having problems mid March... As my locations states, I am also in NYC area.
Right about the same time. It was so bad and annoying that I had to use my magellan when in did an out of state trip last weekend. If this latest update still does not work, I may have to re install the original software that came with the car.

I'll let you know what Wantagh has to say about it. I am wondering if it is TomTom's GPS service's issue.

Booked into local dealers for a replacement head unit after Tomtom diagnosed sim card fault....... no information showing on network details page. Mazda dealer says its a 4 day order, then the old head unit has to be returned within 9 days to Holland for the warranty work to be authenticated.
The unit worked well until the last software update (not map update), strangely I can see the sim card details on first morning start up in garage but after buffering for a while an icon shows up on the main mapping page like an inverted multi headed umbrella and the traffic bar on right does not appear,

Booked into local dealers for a replacement head unit after Tomtom diagnosed sim card fault....... no information showing on network details page. Mazda dealer says its a 4 day order, then the old head unit has to be returned within 9 days to Holland for the warranty work to be authenticated.
The unit worked well until the last software update (not map update), strangely I can see the sim card details on first morning start up in garage but after buffering for a while an icon shows up on the main mapping page like an inverted multi headed umbrella and the traffic bar on right does not appear,

Yes you will find no Live Services at all, and you are right about the "umbrella" I didn't know a good way of describing it. Looks like an antenna signal, with a line strike through it. Near the bottom on the left.

All icons relating to available live services will either sit and buffer all day, or be greyed out. Good test is see if weather is working, if not no need to blame live traffic alone, will be the whole service.

I have complained to Tom tom, and requested a "significant" expiry date be given to me on live services, as well as a map update. They have agreed to oblige.

Later today I have a 200 mile drive up the M6 No Live Traffic service.

The other thing that gets me, Mazda insist every time the dealer has to check it out and submit a computerised report, without this an order cannot be placed; which means I have to drive to the dealers, sit there whilst they connect some software, and then go back to have a replacement unit.

4 Trips thus far, and another one to follow when the unit arrives. Not so much the distance, but the time factor. Add it all up and a working day has been wasted.

Alex

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.
I'm starting to wish I hadn't ordered the nav, in fact I've probably ordered the car a year too early?

The present xtrail I have came with teething problems when first released, but as I bought mine two years after the model was released, I've had virtually no problems.
The XT nav has been faultless, although like any sat nav it does have its quirks.
I know what you mean, but what are the other options or possibilities? Furthermore Tomtom have agreed with me that the problem lies within their apparatus. Apart from today, the other units have at least worked or a week or two.

I have had over 40 years of being a maintenance technician myself, and then the business owner in the whitegoods industry (cookers, home laundry & dishwashers) I Recently sold the business with over 80,000 customers on my data-base. I accept perhaps a long way from the motor trade, but when it comes to component failure over product failure, there are similarities.

High on the nature of my business was the application of modules in the way of printed circuit boards as fitted to most of the products my company dealt with. These were rather unstable at times, and quite common to have a high failure rate. Therefore quite volatile. So despite four units having failed, I can't say I'm that surprised, especially when I look at this forum as well as the TomTom forum.

So knowing the likely failure rate, I'm not at all surprised to see a "bad run" on something.

Sim card on the Tom Tom comes as part of a new sealed unit. There is in fact a directive from Mazda that in cases of TomTom unit failure, the old unit must be returned to Mazda direct, and untampered to prevent the possibility of rejection of the service claim. Mazda will not allow the job ticket to be cleared for payment until this criteria has been satisfied. Exactly the same as the industry I have been in.

I have had similar issues in the trackers as fitted to my vehicles, all of them used Sim cards.

So in essence, this is a TomTom issue, it has been well documented, and in fact is a recognised problem. As long as it goes on I will pursue TomTom for a satisfactory conclusion, and in the interim updates to mapping and an extension to my live traffic facility.

I love the car, and I will not allow this episode with regard to a second rate ancillary product to degenerate the quality of the car as a whole. Sadly though in the eyes of some users could reflect badly on Mazda as they have endorsed a second rate product in what should be a first rate car.

At present I blame TomTom, but there again perhaps Mazda made a mistake in the choice of service provider.

Alex

Good morning! It worked perfectly this morning during my 18 mile commute (29 mpg) to work. I hope this latest update "cured" the bug.

That is good to hear. Unfortunately I used my last and only free update :(

Oh okay, just checked that it is a system update. Update failed during file transfer to SD card.

With that said, I may have a faulty SD card?

Tried two different computers with SD card readers. Same thing. Yes, the SD card is unlocked.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back