list of gripes about 2019 GT

Again, we should keep in mind that Mazda is not really a premium brand. IMO, they are currently sitting between mainstream and premium. I would slot them in right below Acura. That said, I have to wonder if maybe they're holding certain features back in order to add them in as "new features" in later MYs? They could be doing this to stretch out the lifecycle of this gen before the next overhaul. Similar to them adding power folding mirrors, captain's chairs, power liftgate to the late models. I can see them adding a pano roof and a bump in hp when they do a mid-cycle refresh. To be honest, I wouldn't even notice if the CX-9 didn't have a sunroof at all.

Mazda definitely has their work cut out for them, walking the tightrope between mainstream and luxury.

Much I agree with here. Although I'm not sure here in ontario if the general public sees Mazda as approaching premium, certainly in upper trims I'd agree they are, and so think many auto journalists. Not sure the general public should be trusted anyway, when one looks at sales numbers.

But brand recognition is a weird thing. I feel here subaru has some respect as a "better" brand here, over say nissan, hyundai, etc (no offense to fans of those two). But in USA I've read it's an outlier, a quirky brand. Someone even referred recently here to it as being associated with granola types, and that seems to happen more in USA than here. Subaru in GTA has def street cred.

I hate the holding back of features for addition later, but I get it. Ultimately they need to ensure they're doing something new each model yr.

At end of day, if auto journalists need to debate if Mazda is approaching those premium brands overall, it's a good thing as they are not really approaching them on price. Better to have the question debated than not. Value is there.

It is a tightrope, I say good on them for walking the line. If they were to give it all, and charge for it, would be a major brand rehaul or new nameplate. They didn't go that route 30 yrs ago, so this is how they broaden the customer base. I have a cx9 and had a cx7 (came close on a 6 but wife overruled) so I'm certainly happy with the brand, no way i'd trade cx9's attributes for these missing features. There's prob a competitor out there offering these missing features, but I wasn't tempted to check in detail as this thing drives like it "wants" to go.

The reply you quoted was in response to GTA-CX9's post (#28). I'm paraphrasing, but he says that certain features are not "luxury-specific" because they're available on his CR-V.

CRV is a funny little beast. It is much awarded, but most journalists will choose the cx5 over it. I even believe they awarded crv a ten best, but cx5 a best in class (or some strange split in honors like that) at Car and Driver. I like C and D as they prioritize driving over all else.

I haven't checked the cx5 side of forum, but I assume the CRV is often treated as a benchmark as it does so much good. But in the end, just like the cx9 vs pilot, I totally can see why one would pick the cx5 for it's driving dynamics. For record, I got CRV simply for max cargo over cx5 as we had kids in future, but it was close and if I could go back, knowing I'd also get a cx9, I would have gone cx5 and just used the big boy to haul junk.

Much I agree with here. Although I'm not sure here in ontario if the general public sees Mazda as approaching premium, certainly in upper trims I'd agree they are, and so think many auto journalists. Not sure the general public should be trusted anyway, when one looks at sales numbers.

But brand recognition is a weird thing. I feel here subaru has some respect as a "better" brand here, over say nissan, hyundai, etc (no offense to fans of those two). But in USA I've read it's an outlier, a quirky brand. Someone even referred recently here to it as being associated with granola types, and that seems to happen more in USA than here. Subaru in GTA has def street cred.

I hate the holding back of features for addition later, but I get it. Ultimately they need to ensure they're doing something new each model yr.

At end of day, if auto journalists need to debate if Mazda is approaching those premium brands overall, it's a good thing as they are not really approaching them on price. Better to have the question debated than not. Value is there.

It is a tightrope, I say good on them for walking the line. If they were to give it all, and charge for it, would be a major brand rehaul or new nameplate. They didn't go that route 30 yrs ago, so this is how they broaden the customer base. I have a cx9 and had a cx7 (came close on a 6 but wife overruled) so I'm certainly happy with the brand, no way i'd trade cx9's attributes for these missing features. There's prob a competitor out there offering these missing features, but I wasn't tempted to check in detail as this thing drives like it "wants" to go.

Well said!

1. TPMS with no individual PSI readings

2. Mirrors not tied to seat memory

3. Lack of auto brake hold

These are the three most annoying glaring omissions IMO, all of which seemingly would not have cost much more to include, as they are essentially computer programming.

1. TPMS with no individual PSI readings

2. Mirrors not tied to seat memory

3. Lack of auto brake hold

These are the three most annoying glaring omissions IMO, all of which seemingly would not have cost much more to include, as they are essentially computer programming.

Brake hold can be done with emerg brake. When you tap gas, it disengages and won't engage again until you pull up brake again. So it's a one shot deal, rather than a setting that is always on until you turn it off.

I actually prefer this, as i use it in car wash lane. I was always afraid in my CRV that I'll put it in neutral but forget the brake hold is on, which would be problematic.

Brake hold can be done with emerg brake. When you tap gas, it disengages and won't engage again until you pull up brake again. So it's a one shot deal, rather than a setting that is always on until you turn it off.

I actually prefer this, as i use it in car wash lane. I was always afraid in my CRV that I'll put it in neutral but forget the brake hold is on, which would be problematic.
I found if you set cruise control and there is a car in front of you it will stop and you will have to press to resume. Worked great waiting for a train to pass.

Rear wipers are a piece of **** lol. It's super weak. A bit of snow on it and it doesnt wipe. I was quite surprised how weak the wiper motor is.

I do agree with points 2,3 from the op of the thread w the tire pressure monitor and and side mirrors w power memory adjust other makes offer. The camera system is arguably outdated in resolution etc, but overall ok and far suitable than some I’ve seen. Though I just got my cx9 in late December I am still learning the vehicle. But I have to conquer from when I chose this over my other option being a grand Cherokee limited x, qx60 and mdx it drives beautifully. Actually took off from work on Friday for errands and at the supermarket got some compliments from strangers on it. Couldn’t give out my number though lol!
Other gripes I’ve mentioned in my introduction to the forum I see I can adjust to or add in time like the remote start I’ll be adding.
but for those who hold serious reservations toward the cx9 may I ask are your leased or owned? Because if leased depending on what u can do with a leased vehicle ( not sure) you can always upgrade when your term is up no?

Back