Liftgate has a Mind of its Own?

Came out this AM to find our 1 month old 2021 CX-5 GT-R power liftgate had partially opened and was lodged against the garage door. Nice little dent on the lower lip of liftgate. Vehicle was left locked.

So either my wife or I "butt dialed" the keyfob, or we have a gremlin in our CX-5. I'm leaning to the former, as the keyfob design is easy to falsely activate.

Any others experience this? If so, what was the explanation, if known?

Thanks.

Came out this AM to find our 1 month old 2021 CX-5 GT-R power liftgate had partially opened and was lodged against the garage door. Nice little dent on the lower lip of liftgate. Vehicle was left locked.

So either my wife or I "butt dialed" the keyfob, or we have a gremlin in our CX-5. I'm leaning to the former, as the keyfob design is easy to falsely activate.

Any others experience this? If so, what was the explanation, if known?

Thanks.
I thought for 2020 CX-5 you have newer credit card sized key fob which is not as bulky as the old one with the buttons on the side edge, hence reduced the chance of hitting the power liftgate button accidentally? I can never understand why this problem keeps happening since Mazda introduced the power liftgate with a button added on the key fob. This has never happened to my 1998 Honda CR-V on rear hatch power lock, as the unlock button is recessed on the key fob, and I have to push and hold the button for at least 3 seconds to trigger the rear hatch power unlock. I guess this’s the reason why we don’t get a liftgate power unlock button on my gen-1 CX-5 key fob.

Rear hatch opening by itself?

Maybe the radio frequency for the lift gate is very close to other radio sources from other devices. I think this because the door unlock button fires off instantly, and it isn't recessed, and nobody unlocked their doors by accident.

The lip of the tail gate for our 2017 cx5 got damaged the same way. Either my wife or I pressed the button in error while the garage door was down.

Upon opening the garage door again the tail gate also started opening up along with the garage door. The lift gate got caught in the metal handle (to pull the door down from inside - if ever a manual operation is needed). Final result was a dent on the lip of the tail gate.

In order to avoid any future accidents like those we would open the garage door partially to see if the tail gate is open or not. Then take it from there.

Then finally we started parking the car in the driveway as I got another car which doesn’t have such issues.

If I had the same experience I’d contact Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations and complain about it. If enough complaints they received, they may look into the cause. This’s one way to make Mazda improve the product, and to make Mazda better.

I had this issue with my 2019 h til I got these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

turns out the key I had on my Key ring was occasionally hitting the fob in my pocket causing it to open. This stopped it.
So even if you add a silicon protector to the key fob, how does it prevent you not hitting the power liftgate button? In addition, I thought you need to press and hold the PLG button several seconds to activate the PLG?

It looks like the silicone is flat, and that plus the cushioned material probably makes it harder to depress by accident by a key against it in one's pocket. I still don't know how that one poster's hatch opened when he had his fob hanging on his finger, in the other thread.

Looking at the QA's on Amazon I saw this one:

Does this protect from accidental key presses? I often have my trunk or alarm buttons accidentally pressed by the corner of my phone.

*not much protection from accidental key presses. mainly drop protection.
*I think it would It needs fingers to press the key pad
*This product does add a slight cushion that would require additional pressure to activate. But I would suggest placing your phone away from the fob.
*Can reduce this issue, but mainly protection use.
*probably not, it's soft rubber

So even if you add a silicon protector to the key fob, how does it prevent you not hitting the power liftgate button? In addition, I thought you need to press and hold the PLG button several seconds to activate the PLG?

Within the first month of me owning the car, I came out of stores/work and the trunk was open about half a dozen times. Since I got the silicone cover, I haven't had a SINGLE reoccurance of this since then.

Its the only thing that changed - nothing else changed. Same # of keys on the ring, nothing else.

ooking at the QA's on Amazon I saw this one:

Does this protect from accidental key presses? I often have my trunk or alarm buttons accidentally pressed by the corner of my phone.

*not much protection from accidental key presses. mainly drop protection.
*I think it would It needs fingers to press the key pad
*This product does add a slight cushion that would require additional pressure to activate. But I would suggest placing your phone away from the fob.
*Can reduce this issue, but mainly protection use.
*probably not, it's soft rubber

As I said to yrwei52 above, This was occurring on my vehicle a LOT when I first got it.

Since I've had these covers on, there hasn't been a single occurrence.

In fact, it was THIS forum that recommended these things to me. LMAO.

I believe you. The people answering the Amazon question were guessing. It makes sense that it takes more pressure to get the button down when it has a coating of latex over it.

Hi everyone,
This happened to me last night: my trunk partially (?) opened this morning in my driveway (freshly bought second-hand Mazda CX5 2020). Lots of things in the trunk that could have been stolen. This freaked me out and found this forum/thread. I decided to try the following to confirm if this is a key button issue or not:

1) I remove the battery from the second key
2) I disassembled the main key, removed the trunk/panic buttons (it is actually only one button, had no choice but to remove both (see pictures), and taped the holes to ensure no external elements could 'pressure'/activate them.

If this happens again, I'll let you and MAZDA know.

Bye
photo_2023-08-23_12-33-13.jpg

I put two larger pieces of padding on my garage door, ones designed for the garage door walls to protect the doors. I have them on the walls as well. I also added rubber covers for the two bolts on the door. I have not had my CX-5 lift gate raise unexpectedly yet, but better safe than sorry. I did have that happen a few times with my previous automobile, with no damage.

I also purchased silicone covers for the two key fobs, as I had on the previous automobile. Accidents may happen, but for a small cost the damage risk is reduced.

Back