License Plate LED install help CX5 2017

Reedman99

:
Mazda CX5 touring 2017
I looked at the manual and it says to simply pry something under the bottom of the light housing and pop them off. I can say I applied enough pressure that I was certain I was going to break something if I continued. Does anyone have a video or has anyone tried getting the license plate light housings off their new 2017? I can't figure it out for the life of me and the last thing I want to do is break the part. Seemed easier on the other models with the clip style housing.

I looked at the manual and it says to simply pry something under the bottom of the light housing and pop them off. I can say I applied enough pressure that I was certain I was going to break something if I continued. Does anyone have a video or has anyone tried getting the license plate light housings off their new 2017? I can't figure it out for the life of me and the last thing I want to do is break the part. Seemed easier on the other models with the clip style housing.
I don't have video but I just installed mine yesterday. the white plastic looking box is snapped in on either side. the way I did it was by pushing one side up out of the clip and then leveraging the other side down out of the clip so the whole plastic case kind of just falls out. it's a tight spot so it takes some fanagling but it will pop out. you shouldn't break anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I don't have video but I just installed mine yesterday. the white plastic looking box is snapped in on either side. the way I did it was by pushing one side up out of the clip and then leveraging the other side down out of the clip so the whole plastic case kind of just falls out. it's a tight spot so it takes some fanagling but it will pop out. you shouldn't break anything.

What type of bulbs did you use (name/description please)?

I did mine with 194/equivalent LEDs from VLEDs. I installed these which are priced for closeout. I chose the 6K color temp. Found it not too blue. Plenty bright enough - they will illuminate the road surface behind the rear bumper.

Last edited:
I did mine with 195/equivalent LEDs from VLEDs. I installed these which are priced for closeout. I chose the 6K color temp. Found it not too blue. Plenty bright enough - they will illuminate the road surface behind the rear bumper.

Cool. Thanks! (thumb)

This may be a dumb question, but what's the point, purpose, or desire to have a brighter license plate light?

This may be a dumb question, but what's the point, purpose, or desire to have a brighter license plate light?
Makes it match the rest of the leds

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'll take another look at this. I was more or less looking for confirmation that someone got it done. If video exists of this, I'd be grateful, but if not - I'll try to be brave and not snap the lens. Here goes nothing...

Just did mine. You have to put a little twist on the front of the cover with a trim removal tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there's another thread called "corksport interior lighting kit" where I talk about what I used, but here's my post copy/pasted.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon/de3175-led-bulb-4-smd-led-festoon-30mm-car/2107/
x5 for the interior (I purchased a few extra by accident)

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...d-led-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/206/
x2 for the license plate.

Did you choose 6500k or 4100k for the license plate lights?

194/168 Replacement LED

This new style 194/168 replacement LED with larger area copper flat contacts instead of wires coming out as contacts, and the clear silicone coating certainly is well made and should last a lot longer. The only problem is it may be too bright to someone's taste.

Hi,
I can recommend these as they are very bright and also comes in various colours: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot...umen-Silica-Super-Bright-LED/32692054812.html

They are easy to handle and I like the copper coated contacts on the PC board as well as the clear silicone coating. I have installed them on the licence plate lights and the longer ones on the reverse lights.
attachment.php

tried changing the license plate bulbs today, couldn't get it open, manual is not very clear, i felt like if i used more force, i would break the lens. anyone got a 2017 video?

tried changing the license plate bulbs today, couldn't get it open, manual is not very clear, i felt like if i used more force, i would break the lens. anyone got a 2017 video?
Apparently you have to pop it out

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back