Lexus #1,Mazda #2 Consumer Reports

joe427

:
2015 CX-5 GT tech
Lexus is the best overall brand; Fiat is worst. That's what Consumer Reports concludes after combining road-test and reliability scores for 28 brands for which the publication had enough data.

For home team fans, the big news is that Buick is ranked seventh among all brands, passing Honda and BMW and marking the first time a Detroiter has broken into the top 10, CR says.

And it's Buick's second consecutive year as the best of all domestic brands. Cadillac, supposedly General Motors high-end brand and one on which GM is spending a lot of time and money, finished 20th, ahead of Mercedes-Benz, but behind GM mainstream brand Chevrolet.

In its annual April auto issue -- which has CR's biggest-circulation of the year at about 4 million -- says reliability and road test performance go together in what should be thought of "as a dating couple: often seen together, but not always."

That can land car owners in a kind of purgatory. They buy reliable cars they eventually realize they don't like very much, because they aren't satisfying to drive. But they can find no excuse to dump them for something else because the cars are so reliable and trouble-free.

The brand report card is a way to boost your odds of avoiding that, because the rankings are a blend of testing results and reliability data.

CR requires data on at least two models to be included. Thus, the otherwise well-regarded Tesla is absent because it only sells the Model S.

And some brands that sell multiple models are excluded because CR has tested only one model, or has too little reliability data available. This year that included Jaguar and Ram.

The list has some apparent ties but CR says scores include rounding and there are no actual ties. Eight of the top nine have better-than-average, or much-better-than-average, reliability. Nine of the bottom 10 have reliability scores worse, or much worse, than average.

The ranking, best to worst, with overall score and the percentage of the brand's models that CR tested and recommends:

Lexus, 78, 78%

Mazda, 75, 67%

Toyota, 74, 68%

Audi, 73, 56%

Subaru, 73, 80%

Porsche, 70, 60%

Buick, 69, 83%

Honda, 69, 58%.

Kia, 68, 78%

BMW, 66, 50%

Acura, 65, 40%

Volvo, 65, 67%

Hyundai, 64, 36%

GMC, 61, 17%

Volkswagen, 60, 46%

Lincoln, 59, 40%

Infiniti, 59, 29%

Nissan, 59, 25%

Chevrolet, 59, 36%

Cadillac, 58, 25%

Mercedes-Benz, 56, 20%

Scion, 54, 25%

Chrysler, 54, none

Ford, 53, 19%

Dodge, 52, 33%

Mini, 46, none

Jeep, 39, none

Fiat, 32, none

Having watched quite a few of their Talking Cars podcast episodes, I think even the CR folks would agree that the general press reads far too much into this sort of thing. The only companies on that list that don't have any recommended cars at all are Chrysler, Mini, Jeep, and Fiat. For one, the Chevrolet Impala is their top pick among large sedans even though Chevrolet is 19 of 28. Also, Subaru would very likely be #1 if they hadn't released the BRZ, which has single-handedly ruined their reliability ratings.

Ultimately, this just means that Mazda makes cars that are generally reliable and drive well. Hopefully, everyone on this forum already knew that :D

Basically, the latest BMW 3-series has crap reliability numbers. Kia passed them by sorting out reliability.

It's important to realize that this ranking is based entirely on their current new-car lineup, not the brand history. Your car may not be representative of what they're building now.

(EDIT: I had originally said BMW's ranking was also due to the Z4, but CR doesn't have reliability data for it yet, so it doesn't count)

Honestly, BMW has so many new models that are still being tested or don't have reliability data that their ranking isn't all that useful. Hence my original comment that it's not worth reading too far into.

Last edited:
Thx. I heard a radio blurb where they were talking about this and listed the 5 most reliable cars according to CR but Mazda was not one of them. This angered me so I serached around a bit but couldn't find it.

Basically, the latest BMW 3-series has crap reliability numbers. Kia passed them by sorting out reliability.

It's important to realize that this ranking is based entirely on their current new-car lineup, not the brand history. Your car may not be representative of what they're building now.

(EDIT: I had originally said BMW's ranking was also due to the Z4, but CR doesn't have reliability data for it yet, so it doesn't count)

Honestly, BMW has so many new models that are still being tested or don't have reliability data that their ranking isn't all that useful. Hence my original comment that it's not worth reading too far into.

Man, I hope not...are we talking about all of the F30 variants, or only certain years and/or configurations?

Back