Let's talk about antenna replacement options...

JTF

:
'02.5 MP5, 5MT, SSM
OK, some of you have upgraded to the CX-7 antenna or maybe the MZ3 antenna and I know some of you have even upgraded to the Acura RDX antenna. I'm considering replacing my stock antenna w/something shorter and more modern looking and would like to see your pics. I'd really like one of those ultra-modern aerodynamic looking, painted to match, 'nub' antennas, as seen on some of the nicer cars, ala Audi Avants, Beamers, etc.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,

I'd really like one of those ultra-modern aerodynamic looking, painted to match, 'nub' antennas, as seen on some of the nicer cars, ala Audi Avants, Beamers, etc.

Those are for satellite radios, which use a shorter wavelength than AM/FM, so they can be smaller. Perhaps some of those have an AM/FM antenna of some type built into the fin as well, but I wouldn't expect the signal strength to be great. Of course, if you don't care about actually using the radio, you can remove the stock antenna and base from the roof.

With the sharkfin antenna I lost about 25-50% reception when not in town

Hmm...good point. Yeah, I'm not looking to lose any AM/FM radio reception.

Just go with a CX-7 one. I didn't really lose any reception when I installed mine. Plus they are cheap.

That's probably what I'll do. How much shorter is it than the stock one - just a couple of inches or more?

RDX antenna... lost no reception, from what I can tell. Around $15. Perfect fit.

DSCN0820.JPG

DSCN0819.JPG

Takes about 10 seconds to simply unscrew the old mast and put the new one on.

That's probably what I'll do. How much shorter is it than the stock one - just a couple of inches or more?

It is quite a bit shorter, about the same length of the RDX antenna shown in pictures above. It is maybe 6 to 8 inches long, so compare that to your current one.

I got one of the shorty nub lookin ones off ebay. Reception still good and it's short enough not to hit the bottom of the surfboard whenever I roll to the beach with it on the factory racks. Lemme see if I have a pic..........

Here ya go.....(and yes, the wing has been removed, lol(crazy))

DSCN0001_09.JPG

I didn't have as much success with the CX-7 antenna so I sold mine and went back to stock. Reception loss was noticeable for a few stations in town, but this is obviously a YMMV situation. I wish I could've kept it since it does look better.

I just measured my stock one and it's 20.25" long, from base! Definitely looking forward to installing an updated, shorter one. What's the price difference between the CX-7 & RDX and where would I buy the RDX, any old Acura dealership or elsewhere online?

Thanks,

The members that got the Acura ones just went to their local dealers. As for the CX-7, either try your local dealer (if they don't rip you off), or try onlinemazdaparts.com, but with shipping, it might equal out to the same as your local dealer. Of course you can try eBay, too.

S2K one: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Thanks. Yeah, I hear you re: onlinemazdaparts.com when shipping charges are included. Hmm... Re: that S2K one, anybody here have it already?

If i remember from when I bought my RDX one it was about $12 and the mazda CX-7 was like $40 something. I went with the RDX and no problems with reception at all. I just got it at an Acura dealer

Back