LED headlights and DRLs, not what I expected

:
2020 CX-5
From my observations as a driver, I don't think the dimmed headlights as DRL's on US spec CX-5's are particularly effective for that purpose. They are just too small to be very noticeable in bright daylight. Having a larger area of LED's illuminated would work better. I guess someone at Mazda had reasons for that decision, though we'll probably never know them.

:
2016 cx5
Might be related to DRL recall on '16 GT with tech package
My DRL replacement is 4 months backlogged, reacall bulletin says use low beam in the meantime
I guess they just don't want to produce an extra million headlight units for free :)

From my observations as a driver, I don't think the dimmed headlights as DRL's on US spec CX-5's are particularly effective for that purpose. They are just too small to be very noticeable in bright daylight. Having a larger area of LED's illuminated would work better. I guess someone at Mazda had reasons for that decision, though we'll probably never know them.
Cost saving probably. Same as other small things that are missing or have weird logic in the cx5.
But thats the way I guess to have a bit lower price on a car overall ( cut one thing but add another) that gets into the luxury section market where prices are much higher. i.e. lexus nx or audi q3 for comparison.