LED Brake Lights

mg40023

So i bought LED brake light bulbs to replace 1 burned out one i had. At first before leaving the parts store i replaced the burned out one and everything was fine. A few days later i had some time and replaced the other so i wouldnt have to later. Then my cruise control stopped working. After some reading it seems like thats a common issue thats gone on with switchig to LEDs and one post on another thread i read, they said they had to put in resistors. So my question is, what kind of resistors do i need and where would i wire them in at?

LEDs draw less current than an incandescent bulb. You know how when a blinker light goes out, the other one will blink faster? That happens because the still-working blinker is getting more current to it. This also happens when you install LEDs.

Here's a quick vid of some guy with a Chevy...pretty much the same deal though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yKlQQCMbwg

I don't recommend retrofitting them for that reason. The big advantage of an LED is low current draw and bulb life. If you have to add a resistor, they draw just as much current and the resistor isn't likely to last any longer than an incandescent bulb.

I don't recommend retrofitting them for that reason. The big advantage of an LED is low current draw and bulb life. If you have to add a resistor, they draw just as much current and the resistor isn't likely to last any longer than an incandescent bulb.

And thats the reason i bought them is cause they dont draw much power and they would probably last me for as long as i have the car. Unfortunately they were 20 bucks for the set, so thats why im wanting to figure something out so they dont go wasted cause im not able to return them.

And thats the reason i bought them is cause they dont draw much power and they would probably last me for as long as i have the car. Unfortunately they were 20 bucks for the set, so thats why im wanting to figure something out so they dont go wasted cause im not able to return them.

You can get the resistors for a few bucks on Amazon. I have them on my motorcycle, and they work fine. They are just wired in parallel with the bulb circuit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Back